Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This 2008 Saturn Sky Redline is loaded and ready for some summer fun. The Ruby Red paint is accented by a Satin Black painted finish. With only 20,600 miles it is hardly broken in. Options include AC, power windows, chrome wheels with like new tires, 6 disk cd, automatic transmission, 2.0 turbo charged Ecotec with Trifectaperformance tune and much more. Recently serviced. Contact me for complete details. Clean title in hand. Car is located in Portland Indiana $13,500 OBO

The story of this car: This 08 Sky consists of 2 vehicles. The Vin number on the car and on the clear Indiana title is 1G8MF35B68Y110983 a car fax (which I have and can share) shows it to be a 2008 2.4 I4 F DOHC 3 previous owners with no accidents and 154,946 miles. The donor car that supplied all of the components to make this a 2.0 turbo car has a vin of 1G8MF35X38Y110832 the car fax on it shows it to be a 2008 2.0 I4 F DOCH with 2 previous owners and last mileage reported of 24,000. The odometer in the car currently reads 20,632. I can provide a link to Copart with the lot number of the car when I bought it. The mileage info at the time of the sale was 20,570 mi (EXEMPT) so that is what I represent as the correct mileage. EXEMPT means that any car over 10 years old does not have to display the mileage in there sale or on the title. Every possible part that could be removed from the donor car was added to the current car. Engine, transmission, doors, deck lid, front bumper cover, rear diff, suspension front and rear, brakes, hubs, calipers, steering, headlights, tail lights, exhaust, all the interior plastic and carpet. It does have different seats and door panels that are black instead of the original black and tan it also has a RKSports custom hood. The top is also different than the beige top that was on it. The glove box from the donor car was put in this vehicle as it shows all of the RPO codes and vin that now belong to this car. The ECM and BCM in this car are from the donor car and that is how it is able to read the current mileage. A Tech2 will show the ECM belongs to 1G8MF35X38Y110832. This car has zero issues and is in excellent shape. If you take away all of the parts I replaced on it you would only have a shale of a frame with left and right quarter and rockers as they are glued to the body. I have rebuilt over 45 Sky’s and Solstice and I stand behind my work and the work of the shops that do the things I don’t have the skills to do. I am more than happy to answer any questions and provide any documents I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This 2008 Saturn Sky Redline is loaded and ready for some summer fun. The Merlot Jewel paint is accented by a Satin Black painted finish. With only 20,600 miles it is hardly broken in. Options include AC, power windows, chrome wheels with like new tires, 6 disk cd, automatic transmission, 2.0 turbo charged Ecotec with Trifectaperformance tune and much more. Recently serviced. Contact me for complete details. Clean title in hand. Car is located in Portland Indiana $13,500 OBO

The story of this car: This 08 Sky consists of 2 vehicles. The Vin number on the car and on the clear Indiana title is 1G8MF335B68Y110983 a car fax (which I have and can share) shows it to be a 2008 2.4 I4 F DOHC 3 previous owners with no accidents and 154,946 miles. The donor car that supplied all of the components to make this a 2.0 turbo car has a vin of 1G8MF35X38Y110832 the car fax on it shows it to be a 2008 2.0 I4 F DOCH with 2 previous owners and last mileage reported of 24,000. The odometer in the car currently reads 20,632. I can provide a link to Copart with the lot number of the car when I bought it. The mileage info at the time of the sale was 20,570 mi (EXEMPT) so that is what I represent as the correct mileage. EXEMPT means that any car over 10 years old does not have to display the mileage in there sale or on the title. Every possible part that could be removed from the donor car was added to the current car. Engine, transmission, doors, deck lid, front bumper cover, rear diff, suspension front and rear, brakes, hubs, calipers, steering, headlights, tail lights, exhaust, all the interior plastic and carpet. It does have different seats and door panels that are black instead of the original black and tan it also has a RKSports custom hood. The top is also different than the beige top that was on it. The glove box from the donor car was put in this vehicle as it shows all of the RPO codes and vin that now belong to this car. The ECM and BCM in this car are from the donor car and that is how it is able to read the current mileage. A Tech2 will show the ECM belongs to 1G8MF35X38Y110832. This car has zero issues and is in excellent shape. If you take away all of the parts I replaced on it you would only have a shale of a frame with left and right quarter and rockers as they are glued to the body. I have rebuilt over 45 Sky’s and Solstice and I stand behind my work and the work of the shops that do the things I don’t have the skills to do. I am more than happy to answer any questions and provide any documents I can.
I tried to run a CarFax on the first vin and it has 18 digits in it and our cars only have 17 digits. I ran the second vin and it comes up as having a not actual mileage rebuilt salvage title. So just to confirm, the body is a 2008 base Sky with 154,000 miles on the body and if the dealer plugs in to the OBD2 port, it will show the salvage Sky's vin number and mileage. What if someone has to take the car for an emission inspection and the "computer vin" doesn't match the dash vin? Why would this car not considered True Mileage Unknown if the physical vin on the dash does not match the "computer vin"? As you know, a TMU car is worth about 20% less than an actual mileage car. You have an excellent reputation on this forum so I am sure the work and parts are all done professionally. Please respond.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Only a Solstice guy would call that beautiful color by its Pontiac counterpart name, instead of its true Saturn form:

Ruby... Red.

All joshin aside, that is one beautiful specimen! Incredible looking hood and Norm‘s valance is like the cherry on top! I must eventually get one.

You outdid yourself with this one, Glenn!

GLWS!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to run a CarFax on the first vin and it has 18 digits in it and our cars only have 17 digits. I ran the second vin and it comes up as having a not actual mileage rebuilt salvage title. So just to confirm, the body is a 2008 base Sky with 154,000 miles on the body and if the dealer plugs in to the OBD2 port, it will show the salvage Sky's vin number and mileage. What if someone has to take the car for an emission inspection and the "computer vin" doesn't match the dash vin? Why would this car not considered True Mileage Unknown if the physical vin on the dash does not match the "computer vin"? As you know, a TMU car is worth about 20% less than an actual mileage car. You have an excellent reputation on this forum so I am sure the work and parts are all done professionally. Please respond.
I corrected the vin number had a extra 3 in it. I am not sure the vin would be a problem in an emission test but I don't have those in my state.Go to copart.com and enter this number(22769538) in the search box. That will show you the car as I bought it along with all of the info at the time of the auction

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only a Solstice guy would call that beautiful color by its Pontiac counterpart name, instead of its true Saturn form:

Ruby... Red.

All joshin aside, that is one beautiful specimen! Incredible looking hood and Norm‘s valance is like the cherry on top! I must eventually get one.

You outdid yourself with this one, Glenn!

GLWS!
The last thing I want to do is insult the Sky owners so I changed the color name to the correct "Ruby Red" ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I corrected the vin number had a extra 3 in it. I am not sure the vin would be a problem in an emission test but I don't have those in my state.Go to copart.com and enter this number(22769538) in the search box. That will show you the car as I bought it along with all of the info at the time of the auction
FWIW, the first vin you posted and corrected, (1G8MF35B68Y110983) is still showing invalid vin.

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
I would buy this in heart beat if I lived anywhere but here. No way that will ever get thru smog in this state without paying a fortune. Man Glen you know how bad I want a Ruby Red. lol

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Merlot Jewel (or Merlot Jewel Metallic) is by far the better name for this color. Ruby Red sounds brighter than what this color came out as.

This is the ONE thing Pontiac did right over Saturn.

·
Super Moderator
6,108 Posts
Merlot Jewel (or Merlot Jewel Metallic) is by far the better name for this color. Ruby Red sounds brighter than what this color came out as.

This is the ONE thing Pontiac did right over Saturn.

Pontiac / Solstice called this color "Wicked" while Saturn / Sky called it "Ruby Red".
"Merlot Jewell Metallic" is the generic GM color designation.

So maybe Pontiac didn't do anything right over Saturn?

·
Registered
189 Posts
This 2008 Saturn Sky Redline is loaded and ready for some summer fun. The Ruby Red paint is accented by a Satin Black painted finish. With only 20,600 miles it is hardly broken in. Options include AC, power windows, chrome wheels with like new tires, 6 disk cd, automatic transmission, 2.0 turbo charged Ecotec with Trifectaperformance tune and much more. Recently serviced. Contact me for complete details. Clean title in hand. Car is located in Portland Indiana $13,500 OBO

The story of this car: This 08 Sky consists of 2 vehicles. The Vin number on the car and on the clear Indiana title is 1G8MF35B68Y110983 a car fax (which I have and can share) shows it to be a 2008 2.4 I4 F DOHC 3 previous owners with no accidents and 154,946 miles. The donor car that supplied all of the components to make this a 2.0 turbo car has a vin of 1G8MF35X38Y110832 the car fax on it shows it to be a 2008 2.0 I4 F DOCH with 2 previous owners and last mileage reported of 24,000. The odometer in the car currently reads 20,632. I can provide a link to Copart with the lot number of the car when I bought it. The mileage info at the time of the sale was 20,570 mi (EXEMPT) so that is what I represent as the correct mileage. EXEMPT means that any car over 10 years old does not have to display the mileage in there sale or on the title. Every possible part that could be removed from the donor car was added to the current car. Engine, transmission, doors, deck lid, front bumper cover, rear diff, suspension front and rear, brakes, hubs, calipers, steering, headlights, tail lights, exhaust, all the interior plastic and carpet. It does have different seats and door panels that are black instead of the original black and tan it also has a RKSports custom hood. The top is also different than the beige top that was on it. The glove box from the donor car was put in this vehicle as it shows all of the RPO codes and vin that now belong to this car. The ECM and BCM in this car are from the donor car and that is how it is able to read the current mileage. A Tech2 will show the ECM belongs to 1G8MF35X38Y110832. This car has zero issues and is in excellent shape. If you take away all of the parts I replaced on it you would only have a shale of a frame with left and right quarter and rockers as they are glued to the body. I have rebuilt over 45 Sky’s and Solstice and I stand behind my work and the work of the shops that do the things I don’t have the skills to do. I am more than happy to answer any questions and provide any documents I can.
I had to reread this post several times; all the VIN's and mileages had my head spinning on which was which.
It's really a beautiful car, great work BTW. Did either car start off that Ruby Red or did you have to do a full color change? It would look really sharp with those black/maroon seats and door panels you posted a picture awhile back of.

·
Super Moderator
6,108 Posts
I had to reread this post several times; all the VIN's and mileages had my head spinning on which was which.
It's really a beautiful car, great work BTW. Did either car start off that Ruby Red or did you have to do a full color change? It would look really sharp with those black/maroon seats and door panels you posted a picture awhile back of.
According to all of the paint charts that have circulated around the forums, that color was not available in 2008.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The color of this car when I started was Bluestone and the donor car was Midnight Blue.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now your true milage statement may be correct but as I see it this car is priced 20% below what I think its value is so I guess that makes it right on the mark.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are pics of the 2 cars when I started

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The donor car looks like it is really good shape.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The donor car looks like it is really good shape.
I thought the same thing when I bought it. Once I go into the damage I realized the frame was bent behind the upper control arm on the right rear. Being a full frame car and add in the fact most if not all of the rear components of these cars are glued or welded on it would have been a major undertaking to replace the frame rail. As I am not a fan of cutting a car in between the doors to do a clip I choose the route to the finished product I have now.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Back in 2001 I had a new Sebring Convertible that got hit, just 5,000 miles on it. The insurance company wouldn’t total it, they sectioned it (junkyard back end). Traded it the same day I got it back. It never showed up on CarFax either.
In order to get it to track straight to trade it, I had to play with the tire PSI. Not a fan of clipping a car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts