Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning or evening to all depending on what time you've seen this message.
I am a new owner of a previously owned 2008 Saturn sky automatic
The vehicle has about 40,000 miles and is in great shape
There is one problem however which I can't figure out
The previous owner told me that they had disconnected the radio remove the fuse because it was draining the battery.
I reconnected the fuse and the radio seem to work perfectly I had this playing while I was doing a walk around of the vehicle after I had purchased it a few minutes later I got back into the vehicle the radio had stopped playing and was only showing a small phone icon on the screen.
The CD player would feed and eject the CD the face when I turned up the volume would show that the volume was increasing however the radio was that dead and does not play at all.
I have disconnected and reconnected the battery several times nothing seems to change
I have left the radio fuse out as I don't want the battery to go dead on me.
I'd like to bring it to an authorized GM audio repair shop but I don't seem to have one locally I do not want to go to the car dealer cuz I don't trust them any suggestions are most appreciated.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Is it a stock radio? During your testing of the radio, was the car engine idling, or was the ignition key turned to the accessory position? I wonder if the radio circuit simply timed out on you, a normal battery saver feature when the engine is turned off.

Maybe nothing is wrong at all. I know my 2007 base Sky battery and stock radio will go dead if left parked for a month at a time. Maybe the previous owner experienced the same thing and disconnected his radio to reduce battery drain when parked.

About the radio not working right after it shut off, that is another issue that I have no good input. Disconnecting the battery makes sense to try. I would leave the battery disconnected for 24 hours, then reconnect. Sometimes there can be large capacitors that hold a charge for a good long while. Let them drain off for a thorough reset of the radio and amp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RJ thanks very much for the quick response it is most appreciated
I have not tried disconnecting the battery completely for 24 hours I will try that now, however, I have owned this car for several weeks now and during all of that time I have been driving it as well as having it park with the radio fuse removed.
Curiously, when I reinstall the fuse with the ignition off.. The radio face lights and it shows a small telephone icon. When I start the car, the face of the radio then goes dark does not work and frustrating to say the least.
I have been trying to find a general motors authorized audio repair shop but I can't seem to find when locally all of them want you to take the radio out and mail it in which I obviously and not taking stuff apart the car is in excellent condition I will try disconnecting the battery and see what happens thanks very much a happy thanksgiving to you and yours in advance

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Getting a phone icon lighting up stumps me. I don't recall ever seeing that on my Sky. I do have On-Star in my Sky but never had active service. Does your Sky have On-Star and is it activated? On-Star would have a full compliment of steering wheel controls and the On-Star button on the center rear view mirror.

I wonder if your problem is possibly related to On-Star.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
RJ thanks very much for the quick response it is most appreciated
I have not tried disconnecting the battery completely for 24 hours I will try that now, however, I have owned this car for several weeks now and during all of that time I have been driving it as well as having it park with the radio fuse removed.
Curiously, when I reinstall the fuse with the ignition off.. The radio face lights and it shows a small telephone icon. When I start the car, the face of the radio then goes dark does not work and frustrating to say the least.
I have been trying to find a general motors authorized audio repair shop but I can't seem to find when locally all of them want you to take the radio out and mail it in which I obviously and not taking stuff apart the car is in excellent condition I will try disconnecting the battery and see what happens thanks very much a happy thanksgiving to you and yours in advance
The telephone icon suggests that the phone is in use. What happens if you press the phone button on the steering wheel?

The dark screen could be a function of the automatic headlight control, as that will dim the screen when the headlights are activated. What is the condition of the DIC (Driver Information Center) screen in the instrument cluster? That screen should match the radio display for brightness. Also, what happens to the radio display if you turn the auto headlights off by rotating the headlight control (at the end of the turnsignal stalk) backwards and realeasing it?

Reactions: Super Serg

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
The telephone icon suggests that the phone is in use. What happens if you press the phone button on the steering wheel?
When I read about the phone icon appearing on the screen, this was my thought as well (that the button might’ve been accidentally pressed or it‘s stuck in it’s ‘on‘ position).

Also, another possibility- since the ‘08 didn’t come with celular Bluetooth, I’d guess that a previous owner might’ve installed an aftermarket Bluetooth device... which might also explain the battery drain?

Tough to tell remotely, but good places to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
JohnWR asks some interesting questions which stirs my own thoughts of possible causes and solutions.

1) Replace the face of your radio. It is easy to swap faces with a donor radio without affecting the security code in the radio. The hardest part will be removing the radio from the center console to make the swap.

2) Something is wrong with your On-Star. Maybe a steering wheel control button or center mirror control button is stuck. Another possible cause it within the brain of the On-Star system. I would try pulling the fuse for the On-Star system and see if the radio then works fine. Hopefully it has it's own dedicated fuse, not affecting any other system.

If you suspect the On-Star control in the mirror, temporarily unplug the mirror to see if things are improved with your radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting a phone icon lighting up stumps me. I don't recall ever seeing that on my Sky. I do have On-Star in my Sky but never had active service. Does your Sky have On-Star and is it activated? On-Star would have a full compliment of steering wheel controls and the On-Star button on the center rear view mirror.

I wonder if your problem is possibly related to On-Star.
RJ
This vehicle is equipped with OnStar it has the icon on the mirror and I did press it just to test it and it said OnStar ready
I don't believe that the OnStar is active but I'm not really sure
The vehicle steering wheel is equipped with a bunch of buttons I'm not sure what they all do
I'm a bit of a dinosaur
I think I'm going to try to disconnect the OnStar because the phone icon is typically associated with OnStar I don't know if this is XM radio equipped I don't know anything about what this car does relative to the audio system
For the short amount of time that it was playing in the car it sounded like a high quality system but then shortly thereafter it didn't work well it does is show the phone icon
As I stated earlier I removed the fuse for the radio because the previous owner indicated that the radio was draining the battery thank you again I'll get back to you when I check these things I'm going over to check on the car now I don't use it more than once a week
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
695 Posts
RJ
This vehicle is equipped with OnStar it has the icon on the mirror and I did press it just to test it and it said OnStar ready
I don't believe that the OnStar is active but I'm not really sure
The vehicle steering wheel is equipped with a bunch of buttons I'm not sure what they all do
I'm a bit of a dinosaur
I think I'm going to try to disconnect the OnStar because the phone icon is typically associated with OnStar I don't know if this is XM radio equipped I don't know anything about what this car does relative to the audio system
For the short amount of time that it was playing in the car it sounded like a high quality system but then shortly thereafter it didn't work well it does is show the phone icon
As I stated earlier I removed the fuse for the radio because the previous owner indicated that the radio was draining the battery thank you again I'll get back to you when I check these things I'm going over to check on the car now I don't use it more than once a week View attachment 117653
View attachment 117652
View attachment 117651
Try pulling the Onstar fuse in the fuse box instead of the radio fuse. I want to say it's like number 51 maybe. I can't recall at the moment. I know I needed to pull it when I was setting up my steering wheel controls for my aftermarket head unit. The instructions were to push and hold the up button to start programming, but every time it would engage Onstar. Pulling the fuse solved that problem so I could program the SWCs. If it is an Onstar related issue just pulling the fuse should answer that and if if fixes it just leave the fuse pulled.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
OK! Here is the telephone number where GM and other car manufacturers send their radios and other equipment for repair....u r lucky, It is NJ....this telephone number is 10 years old. Hope it still works 201=961=9200. You also mentioned the radio gets louder as u drive. There is a way to do this. I cannot recall how it works because few of us ever used it. It is on my 2007 NA....build date 2006.

If u get lucky...they may have a USB radio for the SKY and they are programmed new. You will not need a tech 2 to install. It will read your vin number as if new. You probably do not understand a word I am saying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your help okay here it goes yesterday I removed the fuse for the OnStar system, I then reinstall the fuse for the radio with the ignition off the radio immediately showed that small phone icon then when I started the car the face of the radio just went dark I press the eject button and it ejected out a CD which was inside the CD player.BTW The radio is identical to the one in the picture you guys sent to me
Neither the CD player or the radio would work I took the car out for an extended drive and the car handles like a new car runs like a new car I did notice that the cruise control is not working.
I parked the car in the driveway overnight went to restart it a few hours ago the battery is stone dead I once again took the fuse for the radio out and now have the car battery on a charger just as an aside it appears to me that whoever was working on this car that this lady owned prior to my purchase was not exactly a great mechanic I see that the battery was replaced I also see some minor scratches on the passenger door indicated to me the guy that a very sloppy job of changing the battery also I changed the oil last week and it took me more than a half an hour of gingerly going back and forth with the fuel filter in order to free it rather than break the plastic cover went to the same issue with the oil drain plug in the sump Titan way beyond anything reasonable no mechanic does that it has any savvy
I guess I should take the radio out and have it tested in one of these labs perhaps replace it hopefully that is the problem

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I guess I should take the radio out and have it tested in one of these labs perhaps replace it hopefully that is the problem
Since your Sky is in such pristine condition, you might want to think about marlboromike's suggestion. Just buy a brand new unlocked 2010 Sky radio "with" the USB connection in the face, located in place of the "jack" in the lower-right corner. You can load up all your favorite music on a stubby memory stick, plug it into the face of the radio, and have all your music always with you, virtually built into the radio. No more CDs to handle, skip, or other trouble playing them. By the time you mess around with repairs, shipping too-&-fro, it might cost just about the same anyway.

Someone please correct me if my "description" is incorrect or misleading in any fashion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks very much for your response and your suggestion
I looked online as well as on eBay to see if there's a 2010 factory radio that has USB port
I did not find anything that has the same GM faceplate I want to stick to original GM or Delco You have any sources for this radio thank you

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks very much for your response and your suggestion
I looked online as well as on eBay to see if there's a 2010 factory radio that has USB port
I did not find anything that has the same GM faceplate I want to stick to original GM or Delco You have any sources for this radio thank you
There were only a handful (literally) of 2010’s manufactured. Search for the 2009. My guess is it’s the exact same radio.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Aside from many of us who have spare GM OEM radios...just go to EBAY....it doesn't have to be SKY specific....they are all compatible...just the LED lights are different colors but u can change faceplates to make them amber.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
There were only a handful (literally) of 2010’s manufactured. Search for the 2009. My guess is it’s the exact same radio.
I believe 2010 was the first year with USB. There are many more 2010 Sky radios than 2010 Skys in existence.

I wonder if the black gloss face of your old radio with orange lens attached, could be swapped with a 2010 radio meant for a different GM vehicle. The only real issue would be changing the tiny round phone jack hole to a rectangular USB hole.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
I believe 2010 was the first year with USB. There are many more 2010 Sky radios than 2010 Skys in existence.

I wonder if the black gloss face of your old radio with orange lens attached, could be swapped with a 2010 radio meant for a different GM vehicle. The only real issue would be changing the tiny round phone jack hole to a rectangular USB hole.
Yes they can...but it must be an identical fit. I switched my Sky 2010 USB radio with a 2010 USB Malibu faceplate. USB to USB

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes they can...but it must be an identical fit. I switched my Sky 2010 USB radio with a 2010 USB Malibu faceplate. USB to USB
I have switched radio face modules and circuit boards within face modules with success, but all had the little round jack. As many forum members here know, the radio security feature is embedded inside the main body of the radio so all deviations do not affect that. The first time, I replaced only the circuit board to address all the orange radio buttons that were not illuminating. I later changed from orange to white lighting as part of an over-all interior illumination project as shown. The circuit board and aqua colored lens were from a 2008 Chevy Cobalt radio.
Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Car Automotive lighting

Here is the entire Cobalt face module that I tried for a while.
Plant Gear shift Speedometer Vehicle Satellite radio

But I wanted more of an OEM look so I changed things up again. I did previously reface my main instrument cluster which included an aqua odometer. I wanted the radio to match it.
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle White

All the while, the main body of my radio is the original one so I never had security issues. But changing to a USB radio, you will surely need to switch the body, so you will deal with security. I share all this primarily to demonstrate how much can be interchanged. So if you find a new unlocked USB radio from a different GM vehicle, you may be able to change it to a gloss black face from a Sky radio by changing the little round jack hole in the gloss black face, to a larger USB hole. Another option would be to disassemble the face removing all buttons, mask off the lens, and spray paint it gloss black.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts