Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
For me it was the OnStar module that was draining power. Unregistering OnStar with GM and disabling the unit was the fix. The car symptoms were bouncing needles in the dash cluster, clunking transmission gear changes. I went through a brand new battery in a few months as well.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You should have kept the cobalt faceplate....it matches the color of the console....my opinion.
You are right. It does match well. I thought long and hard about that, so much that I even installed it and kept it a while. But in the end the OEM look won me over. The black piece with airbag light directly below the radio was influential in my final decision.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Tomato Soup,

Your USB conversion for your Solstice sound system was quite impressive.

I have a question for you. You mentioned "2009 Sky radio with USB". Are you saying USB radios were introduced for the 2009 model year Sky? If so, there should be an abundance of Sky radios with USB floating around in new and used fashion.

I always thought USB was introduced for the 2010 model year Sky, hence hard to come by. It would be real nice to plug in my mem-stick and have all my music. I have a 2007 sound system with Monsoon. I wonder which USB Sky radio I need to work seamlessly. Here are my option codes.
Font Menu Number Signage Temperature

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
2009 Skys and Solstice USBs were an option....but it appears few went for it, henceforth few usb radios....u can install other GM usb radios but it presents sound issues with our cars....u get 2 amps instead of 1 AMP. You will blow your speakers, directional sound and chimes are too loud also. U must/should keep to the USB, OEM radio for our cars.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
2009 Skys and Solstice USBs were an option....but it appears few went for it, henceforth few usb radios....u can install other GM usb radios but it present sound issues with our cars....u get 2 amps instead of 1 AMP. You will blow your speakers, directional sound and chimes are too loud also. U must/should keep to the USB, OEM radio for our cars.
Thanks for the warning. I will stay away from non Sky USB radios.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, the USB radio was an option for 2009 Skys. But I don't think they were actually available until partway through the year, making them pretty uncommon.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Yes, the USB radio was an option for 2009 Skys. But I don't think they were actually available until partway through the year, making them pretty uncommon.
Saturn closed I believe June 2009,,,,the 2010 Skys did make the assembly line as u know. All new SKYS for the each following year were created July for the next model year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good morning or evening to all depending on what time you've seen this message.
I am a new owner of a previously owned 2008 Saturn sky automatic
The vehicle has about 40,000 miles and is in great shape
There is one problem however which I can't figure out
The previous owner told me that they had disconnected the radio remove the fuse because it was draining the battery.
I reconnected the fuse and the radio seem to work perfectly I had this playing while I was doing a walk around of the vehicle after I had purchased it a few minutes later I got back into the vehicle the radio had stopped playing and was only showing a small phone icon on the screen.
The CD player would feed and eject the CD the face when I turned up the volume would show that the volume was increasing however the radio was that dead and does not play at all.
I have disconnected and reconnected the battery several times nothing seems to change
I have left the radio fuse out as I don't want the battery to go dead on me.
I'd like to bring it to an authorized GM audio repair shop but I don't seem to have one locally I do not want to go to the car dealer cuz I don't trust them any suggestions are most appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Use a battery tender plus maintainer 1.25 amp to keep it charged while sitting for weeks. It solves the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning or evening to all depending on what time you've seen this message.
I am a new owner of a previously owned 2008 Saturn sky automatic
The vehicle has about 40,000 miles and is in great shape
There is one problem however which I can't figure out
The previous owner told me that they had disconnected the radio remove the fuse because it was draining the battery.
I reconnected the fuse and the radio seem to work perfectly I had this playing while I was doing a walk around of the vehicle after I had purchased it a few minutes later I got back into the vehicle the radio had stopped playing and was only showing a small phone icon on the screen.
The CD player would feed and eject the CD the face when I turned up the volume would show that the volume was increasing however the radio was that dead and does not play at all.
I have disconnected and reconnected the battery several times nothing seems to change
I have left the radio fuse out as I don't want the battery to go dead on me.
I'd like to bring it to an authorized GM audio repair shop but I don't seem to have one locally I do not want to go to the car dealer cuz I don't trust them any suggestions are most appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Thank you all for your help okay here it goes yesterday I removed the fuse for the OnStar system, I then reinstall the fuse for the radio with the ignition off the radio immediately showed that small phone icon then when I started the car the face of the radio just went dark I press the eject button and it ejected out a CD which was inside the CD player.BTW The radio is identical to the one in the picture you guys sent to me
Neither the CD player or the radio would work I took the car out for an extended drive and the car handles like a new car runs like a new car I did notice that the cruise control is not working.
I parked the car in the driveway overnight went to restart it a few hours ago the battery is stone dead I once again took the fuse for the radio out and now have the car battery on a charger just as an aside it appears to me that whoever was working on this car that this lady owned prior to my purchase was not exactly a great mechanic I see that the battery was replaced I also see some minor scratches on the passenger door indicated to me the guy that a very sloppy job of changing the battery also I changed the oil last week and it took me more than a half an hour of gingerly going back and forth with the fuel filter in order to free it rather than break the plastic cover went to the same issue with the oil drain plug in the sump Titan way beyond anything reasonable no mechanic does that it has any savvy
I guess I should take the radio out and have it tested in one of these labs perhaps replace it hopefully that is the problem
I found this on Amazon:
(Upgraded Version) Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Car, Wireless Radio Transmitter Adapter Car Kit, MP3 Music Player, Dual USB Ports, QC3.0 Quick Charging, Hands Free Calling, Support USB Flash Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK2WMQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JNN2RF56YE9VRC2KZ1M6, I’ll add a review once I get it.sounds like an add on that doesn’t require any modifications to the vehicle. If it solves the problem with adding usb music drives and hands free cell remains to be seen but the reviews seem to be good overall, worth a try with free delivery and returns.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have a similar one in my Sky and it works great. I bought mine at Best Buy and the bonus is hands free for my cell phone.
How does the sound get to the radio and out through the speakers? The OEM Sky radio does not have blue tooth........does it?

Oh, the video explains it......FM transmission to unused station. Sorry for the dumb question.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use a battery tender plus maintainer 1.25 amp to keep it charged while sitting for weeks. It solves the issue.
When I bought my wife’s Redline it was in a used car showroom as it’s a beauty. The dealer had a trickle charger on it, and it raised a flag, but it was the nicest redline I had seen and driven so I wanted it. The manager was a good mechanic, but after replacing an already new battery he couldn’t figure it out. Thanks to this blog I checked the maplight. It is so small you don’t realize it’s on, but it was and was sapping a brand new battery in less than a week.
Thanks to whomevers post I read about it as I wouldn’t have believed it if it hadn’t happened to me

21 - 37 of 37 Posts