Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests i had heard that at least 1 redline rolled out from the factory in 2010 just before it closed its doors.

Do i remember correctly? Some now say the factory closed in July 2009 and i don't remember something like that happening.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
I believe that 8 2010 Sky's were produced, 5 of them RLs, but they were not the last cars built before the July 2009 shutdown. They were part of a pre-production build that happened a couple of months before that, in May 2009.

I know that someone has more and better detail, but that is what I remember from the many discussions about it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that 8 2010 Sky's were produced, 5 of them RLs, but they were not the last cars built before the July 2009 shutdown. They were part of a pre-production build that happened a couple of months before that, in May 2009.

I know that someone has more and better detail, but that is what I remember from the many discussions about it.
Strange, i honestly believed that i had read that the factory didn't close officially until 2010 and that at least 1 car rolled out of it in 2010.

Could be mistaken but considering that i got mine in August 2009 (2009 model) i recall thinking that it would be great if i had gotten the model that rolled out in 2010.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
Strange, i honestly believed that i had read that the factory didn't close officially until 2010 and that at least 1 car rolled out of it in 2010.

Could be mistaken but considering that i got mine in August 2009 (2009 model) i recall thinking that it would be great if i had gotten the model that rolled out in 2010.
You could be thinking about either the July 2010 sale of the Wilmington factory to Fisker, or the end of the Saturn Corporation in October 2010.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
There is some debate due to GM's less than transparent behavior, but this is what I have.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is some debate due to GM's less than transparent behavior, but this is what I have.

View attachment 111911
According to John however the 2010 models rolled out in July....

Like i said the strange thing is that i got my car in August 2009 so i wouldn't get excited to see cars rolling out before that....Still it could be that, unless someone has serial numbers that indicate they did roll out in 2010.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
According to John however the 2010 models rolled out in July....

Like i said the strange thing is that i got my car in August 2009 so i wouldn't get excited to see cars rolling out before that....Still it could be that, unless someone has serial numbers that indicate they did roll out in 2010.
No, I said that they were built in May, 2009.

Don't confuse Model Year with Production Date. The Model Year of a car is whatever its manufacturer says it is. The Production Date is when it was assembled.
The Production Dates of all of the Model Year 2010 cars were within May, 2009.
No cars were produced after July, 2009 when the factory was shut down. There were cars delivered after that, but none were built.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
What behavior is that? And the production numbers have been pretty well agreed to by those who have tracked them.

The only "debate" I am aware of is whether the EX VINs should be included in the production numbers since they were produced but were not able to be titled.

This is the most definitive analysis of production that I have seen: Kappa Production Numbers Based on VIN

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I said that they were built in May, 2009.

Don't confuse Model Year with Production Date. The Model Year of a car is whatever its manufacturer says it is. The Production Date is when it was assembled.
The Production Dates of all of the Model Year 2010 cars were within May, 2009.
No cars were produced after July, 2009 when the factory was shut down. There were cars delivered after that, but none were built.
May, July, doesn't matter, what i find strange is that i got my car in August and i didn't find confusing that the last cars rolled out of the factory in May.

I also recall a picture of a blue (if i recall correctly) Redline rolling out of the factory in 2010. Damn, it's so vivid in my mind that it's really confusing.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
As everyone said, no cars rolled out from the factory in 2010.

I got my 2008 Solstice fresh off the dealer lot - a showroom queen - in Sept 2009. Loads of discount, since the factory had already closed. I couldn't find a 2009 in any color I wanted, hence getting the 2008 (and I had to drive over an hour to that dealer to get that one).

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I have details on all of the 2010 pre-production builds as well as build sheets and VIN numbers of all 30 2010 models built. They were built a 4 batches, starting on 4/21/2009, another group on 5/4/2009, more on 5/26/2009 and a final couple of Solstices on 5/28/2009. There were 12 Solstice Coupes, 8 Solstice convertibles, 8 Saturn Skys and 2 Opel GTs.

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
The initial model year production dates are a bit confusing.

2006 Solstices were built from early 2005 until June 30, 2006. On July 1, 2006 the production line switched over to MY 2007 Solstices.

2007 Skys were built from December 2005 until June 30, 2007. On July 1, 2007, Skys AND Solstices switched to the 2008 Model Year Production.

From that point onward, model year would have continued to change on the July 1 date. However 2009 was the last full production year. Now there would be some previous model year cars built after the July 1 change over but these were mostly cars that didn't get finished before the changeover due to corrections or other hold ups. These were usually wrapped up before July was over.

All 2010s, as was mentioned, were pre-production test builds for the upcoming new model year which never happened as the plant would be shut down in July...but when the pre-production 2010s were built, the future of Pontiac and Saturn was still up in the air so the factory continued as though there would be a 2010 model year.

I'm currently looking at the production data for all Kappas sold in the US...so no Canadian cars, Opels, or Daewoos...and the last build date is 7/28/2009.

Warranty date, meaning the day the car was sold and entered the warranty period, 771 cars started their warranty in 2010...with one car in Hawaii entering it's warranty period on 9/15/2011 and another car in Minnesota entering it on 12/21/2012! Even more interesting, both those cars were 2007 Solstices...The Hawaii car was only 7 days shy of it's 5th birthday from it's initial build date and the Minnesota car was 13 days shy of it's 5th birthday...Crazy.

But, in short, there were no cars with official build dates in 2010.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts