Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
LOL...those cars have great lines. Funny story, I have a 4C body on my Girl Friend's RC Car. It has lines very similar to the Sky. Yea, if I could afford the Alfa I would have one of those too.

See why I say I need a 1,400 sq/ft house with a 400,000 sq/ft garage? Gotta go play the lottery.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I am with you. We have a really large driveway. The top is a half basketball court. Wife keeps bugging me to turn that into an external garage and if I did that, I would make sure it had a scissor lift.

Until then I am looking to get the following
https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems/bl-3500slx-portable-car-lift.html

Hey, quick question
What is the email address that forum updates come from?
I am not getting updates to subscribed threads and If I knew the email, I could make sure it's not being snagged by spam

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I stopped by a local Dodge/Fiat dealership today and drove one of these. Non-Abarth version, auto trans with manual selection feature...no paddles.

So some funny things, They have three locations for cup holders...and all three are exactly in the same place ours are. Only difference, you can only use two locations at a time because the cup holders pop out of these locations and can be used in any of them. There is no glove box like we have, but they do have the center cubby like we have and then there is a small cell phone sized cubby in the center arm rest. Gauge cluster looks great. Turbo is SUPER small but it is a 1.4 liter engine. Power was pretty good and far snappier than our 2.4 NAs...holds nothing on a Redline/GXP though. Would be nice having a real trunk even if it is pretty small...it's still much larger than ours and no loss of trunk space with the top down but, of course, the top is exposed and visible when down, ehhhh...but the top comes down and up very easy even from inside the car. Also, when you release the top the side windows roll down a notch...nice touch.

Handling is pretty good...all Miata after all. The center mount infotainment system is nice too. Overall, if I was going to be looking for a new roadster, the 124 would definitely be on my list. Will be interesting to see how well it holds up with the Italian engine. Styling though is REALLY nice. They look really good...a bit Sky...a bit S2000...a bit Miata. I think though the Abarth version is going to be even sharper looking. Not knocking our Skys and wouldn't trade mine for this but, if you want something newer than our cars but like our cars...yea, it's a contender.

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
I owned a 65 Fiat Abarth. Was a fun little car. I was young jarhead and needed two cars. Wife drove the Vette to work, so I bought this rolled over Abarth, light blue, passenger door tied shut with a military belt. Damned thing ran like hell. It was numbered and had a plaque on the dash, that stated it was a replica of the land speed record holder. It really was fast. And the new ones look remarkably like the original Abarths.

If I was going to replace my Skpel, only a new Vette would be considered. Maybe the NSX Honda. I don't think I would want something that was a little better than what I had and was 10 years newer. Came very close to buying a new yellow and black Vette about 4 months ago. Then went and drove the Skpel and said for the 90K above I would keep it. Test drove it, nicer, quieter, I am sure better, but does not get the looks the Sky gets.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Turbo is SUPER small but it is a 1.4 liter engine. Power was pretty good and far snappier than our 2.4 NAs...holds nothing on a Redline/GXP though.
In Europe Alfa does a 1.75L turbo that is good for 240PS and ~250ft/lb torque. I'd like to see them put this engine in the 124...maybe a special edition.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
My son just bought one, the Abarth version. He works for Chrysler, and he said the price was right. And, he had a big check burning a hole in his pocket, as Volkswagen finally settled up on the diesel station wagon he had. I won't see it 'til this summer, as he's in Detroit and we're in Milwaukee.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Dave, would be interested in his opinion of it as an owner.

Skersfan, I'd love a new Vette...love their look...but my pocketbook is more in the 124 range than the Vette range. LOL
Me too! It is his first roadster, and it is living in his garage for the time being while his "drive to the plant" Jeep Wrangler lives in the driveway.

We are going to have a weekend drive somewhere there are some twisty roads once it warms up enough to enjoy some top down motoring.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The Miata chassis is very good and they have always built a weight conscious car, so a good starting platform had they not always insisted on limiting the output of their engines.

They already had the same engine in a turbo form in their Mazdaspeed 3 putting out 263 bhp/280 Tq but have declined to stick it in the Miata even though it would just be a matter of repackaging and moving a few things around to go from transverse to inline.

Same mentality is at work with the Fiat 124 - making use of small high output turbo engines instead of thirstier larger displacement NA engines.

If they would just allow larger (say 2.0-2.4) turbo engine in either Miata or Fiat, it would be a killer value and faster than any stock Kappa because of the lower weight and more or less equivalent output. And then you'd start modding!

I suppose one could always keep an eye out for a Fiat 124 with a toasted engine and sneak a modded LNF in there - it would be interesting indeed. To get the identical power to weight ratio of a GMPP tuned LNF in a Fiat, would require an engine output of 360 bhp in the Kappa.

Obviously when you mod the LNF toward 400 bhp or so, the pay off in performance in the lighter chassis will be eye opening. Probably have to use the (ho-hum) Aisin gearbox and would want to make sure the Fiat diff is up to it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a 500, that wasn't the Abarth, and the engine in that thing surprised me. Small, small engine, but it was pretty decent w/ the manual.

I go back and forth on the looks of the Fiat and the Miata. The fastback Miata hits me "right there", but the back of it looks like they sort of just stopped. I'm sure it would grow on me.

The second I pulled away from the dealership I honestly said to myself: WTF was I thinking? Miata?! My dad is very interested in the Sky, and while I don't think I'd sell it, I'd consider selling it to him. Would I replace it w/ a fastback Miata? I'm a poor teacher, so I couldn't afford to, but I'd consider it in a couple of years. I'd have to drive the Fiat and I'd have to drive the Miata to compare. My guess is that I'd stay w/ the Sky if I did that.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
What do you get when you mate a Maserati with a Fiat?
You get this
Alfa Romeo 4C Spider

Engine and Transmission highlights are

Rear-mounted 1750 Turbo 4-Cylinder Engine
237HP 258TQ
0-60 in 4.1 seconds 1/4mile in 12.8 seconds
6-Speed Automatic / Manual Twin Clutch Transmission
Four-mode Alfa D.N.A. driving modes
All-Weather, Natural, Dynamic or Race
Launch Control

Yes, that is my new toy
>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Congratulations on the Alfa. A bit of a hair shirt purist car on the lines of the recent Lotus models, and a real driver's car.

Have another riddle for you.
What do you get if you had a Solstice coupe styled by Italians?

Reactions: SnowSky

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I knew you of all people would appreciate the 4C. It really lives up to it's driving heritage, but is surprisingly well behaved for daily driving.
BTW - No Power Steering.

Wow,
You are not kidding and that is gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
On the power steering, people don't believe me that the Kappa steering, although good, does rob some feel. Driving it day to day, I never regret it, and probably enjoy the ease of parking with it, without knowing it. But while I still had my Fiero, every time I'd get out of the Solstice and into the Fiero I'd think 'Wow - now THIS is great steering!"

Wonder if you note the difference when you get into the Alfa?

They didn't sell as many as they'd hoped, so the 4C will become hard to find pretty quick - hang onto that one and enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Here's a pretty hilarious review of the Alfa, including the top.

Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Test

1. The roof takes longer to put on and take off than it takes Mazda to build a Miata. When it was decided to make the 4C into a roadster, Alfa left off all ergonomic considerations. Taking off the top is not a push button affair. It also isn't just undoing a few latches and folding it back.

Here's what you need to do: Put the windows down. Undo two clips over the driver side door. Undo two clips over the passenger side door. Unscrew two bolts from over the rearview mirror. Get out of the car and open the trunk. Go back to the car and roll up the top. Carry the top to the trunk and put it in its Alfa Romeo bag. Stash that bag back in the trunk.

Putting it on is even worse, since you need to make sure everything lines up and clips into place. You also need to make sure the edge of the top goes under a small ridge on the top of the windshield or else you won't be protected from the elements.

It's a long involved process.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts