Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw someone on a previous post had stated something about a law saying the dealership has to deliver the vehicle to the customer no later than 24 hours after the purchase. I would like more information on this, as my dealership said it is their policy to hold cars until the next one comes in. And I am not happy with that situation.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
FaerieKitty2 said:
I saw someone on a previous post had stated something about a law saying the dealership has to deliver the vehicle to the customer no later than 24 hours after the purchase. I would like more information on this, as my dealership said it is their policy to hold cars until the next one comes in. And I am not happy with that situation.
I am not a lawyer, however, if you finished the paperwork and have actually paid for the car whether cash or through a loan agreement , it would seem to me that they would have no legal standing to keep the car. However, if you have not completed the sale, you may not have much recourse.

I would strongly suggest getting professional help or call a consumer advocacy group.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Some other dealers have tried that, and some members have posted on here with their experience. Personally, if I had signed the paperwork and everything was 'legal' and they still wanted to keep the car, I'd call the authorities. Think of it like this, if you had your car in for service somewhere, and you paid the bill, but they won't give you your car back... well... thats kinda like stealing, or at least holding against the owner's will.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If I paid for a product, then then the product is MINE---Thats it period, no more no less!!! Wheather shoes, furniture, or a car that product is MINE:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
FaerieKitty2 said:
Like someone else said, Untill the paperwork is signed it is still their car, but it is unethical to do this, if they do hold your car are they letting people sit in it? are they test driving it? This is not correct, the dealer had his chance to order a demo car FIRST, if he chose not to use it as a demo then that is his problem not yours....

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I guess it's all in how the bad news is presented. If the dealer signs you up and takes the money and then tells you that you can't have the car...you could get agressive about getting your car delivered. But if you know it going in...then thats the deal. As I remember it, the dealer was supposed to have ordered their own car as a floor model. That's the car they should be keeping and allowing to be test driven.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If a dealer wants to keep the car a couple extra days, not a problem. For each day they keep it just get a trade- i.e. free oil changes, mud flaps, general items you will need anyway.
Unless you agree to the deal ahead of time, get something for your trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts