Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry to report.. with gas prices on the inevitable rise smaller more efficient cars will become increasingly popular, which will include hybrids.. the sky/sol is a good platform for GM to eventually make a hybrid prototype which would get 40+ miles/gallon. Not quite a Honda insight at 66 mpg but not that hideous either.. welcome back to 1974 all over again.. makes me cringe to think what that decade did to the mustang... remember the king cobra Mustang II??? THANKS OPEC!! :banghead:

·
Registered
250 Posts
You know, this is partially why I giggle when I drive past a Nissan Armada or a Ford Excursion. I have to giggle knowing they can't even break the 15 mpg barrier, and I still get 35 mpg with my 1999 Eclipse w/ 210K miles.

I don't think the numbers for the Sky are great, but it will be garage bound 90% or the time. It would be fun to produce a hybrid version of the sky.. placing electric motors on the front..

A hybrid, AWD platform with extra hp from the front when needed for spirited driving.

·
Registered
623 Posts
geerhed said:
sorry to report.. with gas prices on the inevitable rise smaller more efficient cars will become increasingly popular, which will include hybrids.. the sky/sol is a good platform for GM to eventually make a hybrid prototype which would get 40+ miles/gallon. Not quite a Honda insight at 66 mpg but not that hideous either.. welcome back to 1974 all over again.. makes me cringe to think what that decade did to the mustang... remember the king cobra Mustang II??? THANKS OPEC!! :banghead:
I don't see this causing a problem for at least 30% of the population. People with large or medium size disposable incomes will just pay more for gas and cut back on other things. It's all about a persons priorities, and cars that get less than 20 MPG will not be hurt that much by this.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
geerhed said:
Hybrid cars are generally heavier, require extra space for things like batteries and electrical generation devices. I don't think the Kappa platform is worth trying to squeeze a hybrid system into.

·
Registered
432 Posts
kappaman said:
Hybrid cars are generally heavier, require extra space for things like batteries and electrical generation devices. I don't think the Kappa platform is worth trying to squeeze a hybrid system into.
i agree, plus, this car is heavily focused on handling and i bet the hybrid wont have the same balance that the normal kappas would.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many posters are very correct, there's a lot of people that can afford $5 a gallon gas (like they pay in Europe, $4 like in Canada) so people will drive what the want.

Hybrids cost a lot and it'll take someone 5 years to re-coup their money - but with the average trade cycle now at 2, 3 years, many people will eventually see this as a fad.

Great for Hybrid marketers, but my 2004 Malibu (new style) with the 2.2 Ecotec gets 39 MPG highway, so I am happy.

Sky is very sharp, maybe when I am in the market for a Used Roadster in 4 years, the Sky will be like most other US cars - Affordable and depreciated and cheap.

P.S. Out of warranty, Hybrids will be extremely expensive for atleast the next 10-15 years - so will Hybrids really be a great value, or an economic burden?

Time will tell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Excursions? lol What about the Hummers. Oh my god... Remember the good old days when gas was under $1? And back then, a lot of us were complaining about that being expensive. Greedy oil companies!! :mad:

·
Registered
250 Posts
1skyway said:
Many posters are very correct, there's a lot of people that can afford $5 a gallon gas (like they pay in Europe, $4 like in Canada) so people will drive what the want.
I don't know if this is the case, (btw is that $4 canadian dollars?) If you take a tally as to how much you drive, if you spend more than 10 gallons a week doing this (combined mind you since many of us are in multiple car families) the costs are going to add up. And although you can cut out spending here and there is that something you are willing to do.

A friend of mine bought an excursion, (already expensive) it has a 40 gallon gas tank, do you know anyone that wants to pay 200 dollars to fill it? I know that the sky will maybe hold 12-15 gallons, I just don't want to be at the pump paying 60-75 dollars to get it going again. I have the money.. but at the end of the day.. I don't want to spend it all on gas.

It also seems like no one is seeing that an increase in gas also means an increase in goods, you are not just paying for the gas you put in your car, but the gas in the big rigs that carry your food and all those other things. A truck driver (or trucking company) is not going to absorb the cost of gas for you, they will pass it on to their customer.. which in term will pass it on to theirs (you and I). Think beyond what you can immediately feel, beyond your personal tank. If gas prices double, you will see an increased cost of living.. and that disposable income you had will start to diminish rapidly.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sky_vue said:
I don't know if this is the case, (btw is that $4 canadian dollars?) If you take a tally as to how much you drive, if you spend more than 10 gallons a week doing this (combined mind you since many of us are in multiple car families) the costs are going to add up. And although you can cut out spending here and there is that something you are willing to do.

A friend of mine bought an excursion, (already expensive) it has a 40 gallon gas tank, do you know anyone that wants to pay 200 dollars to fill it? I know that the sky will maybe hold 12-15 gallons, I just don't want to be at the pump paying 60-75 dollars to get it going again. I have the money.. but at the end of the day.. I don't want to spend it all on gas.

It also seems like no one is seeing that an increase in gas also means an increase in goods, you are not just paying for the gas you put in your car, but the gas in the big rigs that carry your food and all those other things. A truck driver (or trucking company) is not going to absorb the cost of gas for you, they will pass it on to their customer.. which in term will pass it on to theirs (you and I). Think beyond what you can immediately feel, beyond your personal tank. If gas prices double, you will see an increased cost of living.. and that disposable income you had will start to diminish rapidly.
Most trucks use diesel, which is artificially inflated in the US, technically a raise in gas should not affect goods in any way (this argument pisses me off to no end). Diesel is a byproduct of making gas anyway, it was originally discarded. How do you think Europe survives on $5.50 to $6 (that's in US money) per gallon? If they can do it so can we.

·
Registered
250 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Most trucks use diesel, which is artificially inflated in the US, technically a raise in gas should not affect goods in any way (this argument pisses me off to no end).
I actually love this statement.. and I'll tell you why (as if you thought I wouldn't)

What makes one think that they would not artificially raise the prices. Prices Page
It is becoming increasingly expensive to ship goods long distances.. and Since the price of crude is also a factor of production that is regulated then production drops or need increases you will see a rise in prices. No matter how "artificial" you think these prices are.

You double the cost of fuel you will increase the price of the goods.. simple economics.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sky_vue said:
I actually love this statement.. and I'll tell you why (as if you thought I wouldn't)

What makes one think that they would not artificially raise the prices. Prices Page
It is becoming increasingly expensive to ship goods long distances.. and Since the price of crude is also a factor of production that is regulated then production drops or need increases you will see a rise in prices. No matter how "artificial" you think these prices are.

You double the cost of fuel you will increase the price of the goods.. simple economics.
Explain then why in Europe and most of the rest of the world diesel is cheaper than regular? Plus you can make diesel from other sources than oil. The economics favors low diesel cost.

·
Registered
250 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Explain then why in Europe and most of the rest of the world diesel is cheaper than regular? Plus you can make diesel from other sources than oil. The economics favors low diesel cost.
Whether or not it favors it, they will always price it at market value. It is not convenient for them to have diesel be far below gas prices. You answered your own question in a sense.. I can't explain to you why it's cheaper in Europe, what I can tell you is that it's not that much cheaper in the US. And since I haven't been buying my diesel in England as of late it doesn't really affect me.

Think local.. cause that's where you are spending the money. Look at the chart from the previous post and you'll see that prices for diesel have been keeping pace with that of regular gas (in some cases surpassing regular). If that trend continues (as it shows no signs of diverging) then the cost of shipping goods will be affected .. no matter what the price for diesel is in Europe.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
1skyway said:

Hybrids cost a lot and it'll take someone 5 years to re-coup their money - but with the average trade cycle now at 2, 3 years, many people will eventually see this as a fad.

Great for Hybrid marketers, but my 2004 Malibu (new style) with the 2.2 Ecotec gets 39 MPG highway, so I am happy.

Sky is very sharp, maybe when I am in the market for a Used Roadster in 4 years, the Sky will be like most other US cars - Affordable and depreciated and cheap.

P.S. Out of warranty, Hybrids will be extremely expensive for atleast the next 10-15 years - so will Hybrids really be a great value, or an economic burden?

Time will tell.
You are one of the few smart enough to recognize the fact that Hybrid purchasers are paying for any and all increases in gas prices up front. Not to mention being stuck in what is currently a rather unattractive shell.

·
Registered
250 Posts
marklynn70 said:
You are one of the few smart enough to recognize the fact that Hybrid purchasers are paying for any and all increases in gas prices up front. Not to mention being stuck in what is currently a rather unattractive shell.
I don't know.. I kinda like the Prius.. :D
And starting at 20K, you could do worse..

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I am not saying that all hybrids are bad, it is just none of them suit my taste personally. A few years from now when more people are making them they will be more affordable. Right now I think they are more expensive than they have to be.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts