Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was on Malletts Site

Mallett Cars introduced a 300HP supercharger kit for the 2.4L Ecotec Solstice and Sky. Pricing and specificaitons for this bolt-on kit will be available in November, 2006.

Now I am Happy I want one........Seal9:lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
mmmmmmm supercharger :drool: now i would have an Xcuse to be whinning :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If I remember correctly this kit had altered internals required as part of the upgrade. However that was the rumor from those who had talked to Mallett people a while back prior to the kit being finalized. We'll get some real info from them soon hopefully.

I thought it was going to be a roots style blower but form pics it appears to be a belt driven prop type like the Procharger kits.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
If I'm reading the CARB site right, looks like not yet, but is it reasonable to expect it to come? There is an EO for the 2004-2006 2.0L Ecotech for Cobalts and Ions for a Stage 1 & 2 supercharger kit. Time to start saving? How long does it take to get an excemption through the system?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Would my car have to be sent to them or can I buy the kit and have it installed here? 300 HP would be more than enough for me!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
sounds like a KIT would be do it yourself

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
perfect...sign me up!

Should be around the same price as the Hahn turbo kit right?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told no internal upgrade required.. but I didn't get to talk to the tech the price should be posted mid month....seal9:lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
295 Posts
YES YES YES, I may cancel my redline for this. It's gotta be cheaper than the turbo from Hahn right? I mean, its less hardware isnt it? No intercooler? No having to attach to exhaust.

·
Registered
420 Posts
:drool:
must..have.....suuuuperchaaaarger!!!

I was considering the Hahn stage 3 turbo kit, but if this comes out first then I'm definitely signing up for one! :willy:

When deciding to go with FI (forced induction) on my Sky, my preference was supercharger over a turbo anyway.

Thanks Mallett for answering our "performance prayers!" :thumbs:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm sure it will be a great kit, but I'd wait to see details and pricing before getting worked up. :willy:

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
"Bolt on" would mean no internal modifications. That's not a bolt on solution. Cheaper than a turbo kit? Doubtful. While you don't have to change your exhaust manifolds you still have to mount this thing to something with something. Those parts, usually machined aluminum pieces, cost a pretty penny to make. Not only that, but where you get rid of a manifold you add a pulley and a belt. Never really looked at our accessory belt but I'm sure it is wide enough to accomodate such a setup. Granted no IC here but it would still be nice to have.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question to many of you but I'm a "girl" and just learning. I have put in the Magnaflow exhaust and the Saturn Motorsport Dual Air Intake, will this new kit work with them?
If so I wonder if they will ship to Canada because I just need a little more punch off the line.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I know this is going to open up a can of worms, but---

in a nutshell, heres what I understand --

turbo -
pros -more efficient, easy to tweak (twist of a knob), quiet, potential to produce more HP everything else being the same.

cons - lag (not as bad nowdays), sudden rush of power rather than gradual, not as reliable, high maint., prof. install recommended. Non on the market on CARB legal or are eligible for CARB without further modification by supplier which is still rumored to NOT be in production. :banghead:

supercharger-
pros - low maintainenance, nicer power curve, can be installed in the garage. A look at the Vortech site shows that their superchargers are CARB legal. supercharges are easier to get CARB'd due to it being run by pully rather than exhaust gases that need to be recaptured.

cons - whine sound (I think is cool, but annoying to some), pulley driven therefore has more parasitic loss, not as easy to tweak (involves changing out pulleys), not as "upgradable" as a turbo.. for future HP gains.

it sounds like the supercharger would be better for the daily driver (and probably the only legal choice right now for us CALIfornians).. low maint, most garage mechanics can tinker with it.
while the turbo would be for the guy who loves to tinker with his car (has the know how to tinker) and has plans for future enhancement and also doesn't mind the maintenance required to keep a turbo at peak performance.

ok--- throw in your 2-cents!!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question to many of you but I'm a "girl" and just learning. I have put in the Magnaflow exhaust and the Saturn Motorsport Dual Air Intake, will this new kit work with them?
If so I wonder if they will ship to Canada because I just need a little more punch off the line.
Your exhaust will be fine but the CAI will have to go...it will be useless...just sell it on Ebay, that is what I will do with mine.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
from the pic looks like there IS a intercooler on the SC system

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I haven't been able to think of anything else since I first saw this thread...I am just obsessed with this as I was with the actual car...Summer 2007 is gonna ROCK!!!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts