Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting car build is a 2007 Sky Redline Manual. 18K on the odometer.

I’d like a nice mid 12 second (12-12.7 at most on the street) car build. From the reading I’ve done it seems like 350 WHP should be somewhere in that ball park with good street tires (maybe less?). Is 350 WHP possible with the following (I’m guessing no):

Intercooler
High flow cat
K04 big wheel kit
Dyno tune

Its marginal on (until big power):
intake tubes
CAI

I see Performance Autowerks has 375 flywheel horsepower Sniper kit. 15% drivetrain loss. Comes out to 318 WHP.

RPM Motorsports stage 3 kit lists 350 WHP with manual & catless downpipe.

So 32 WHP difference (estimated). Dyno & location obviously different. But I feel like PAW is probably the more correct number, but just a hunch.

Has anyone also used the S.S. Ported turbo manifolds? PAW says 10% more flow. Though I haven’t seen but one post on the web & it didn’t seem to mention if a power increase.

FYI, not new to performance builds & tuning, just new to Kappas. Seen through a few forums and posts that not a lot of people did much more than a GM tune. Kind of a mid life crisis car lol. Which I’m in my early mid 40’s now. The Solstice forum is a bit more busier with performance type stuff as well as the Cobalts forum, but I’d like to post here.

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts

I’d like a nice mid 12 second (12-12.7 at most on the street) car build. From the reading I’ve done it seems like 350 WHP should be somewhere in that ball park with good street tires (maybe less?). Is 350 WHP possible with the following (I’m guessing no):

Intercooler
High flow cat
K04 big wheel kit
Dyno tune

intake tubes
CAI

I see Performance Autowerks has 375 flywheel horsepower Sniper kit. 15% drivetrain loss. Comes out to 318 WHP.

So 32 WHP difference (estimated). Dyno & location obviously different. But I feel like PAW is probably the more correct number, but just a hunch.

Has anyone also used the S.S. Ported turbo manifolds? PAW says 10% more flow. Though I haven’t seen but one post on the web & it didn’t seem to mention if a power increase.

FYI, not new to performance builds & tuning, just new to Kappas. Seen through a few forums and posts that not a lot of people did much more than a GM tune. Kind of a mid life crisis car lol. Which I’m in my early mid 40’s now. The Solstice forum is a bit more busier with performance type stuff as well as the Cobalts forum, but I’d like to post here.

TIA!
I think most feel the number falls in between those two.

As for your desired quarter mile time, I know Bill Hahn ran 12.1 with 380 whp in a manual Solstice 2.4 turbo. 350 is probably about right for the time you want. How to realistically get there on a 2.0 I think you will need more than one of those turbos and you probably will need to increase fuel delivery.

A WR3 from PAW would definitely do it and with that manifold spool time will be less as well...at least a little. That's where the flow helps you. (I should have got one of those...)

Mind you my build was a 2.4 LE5 based build with the LNF's K04 turbo setup on it so it is a very different experience. I went with the WR4 and have been happy with it. With head work and the larger displacement the spool time is very small. On a 2.0, it would be noticeably longer.

For whatever reason, the Solstice seems to attract more of the power guys and the Sky more the cruiser type but each have their exceptions. Welcome to our craziness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. The K04 big wheel, what is that really good for power wise? I feel like I've read half the posts saying 350 WHP and then another half of the posts I find say more like 310-330 at most. I miss the days when vendors & enthusiast would posts lots of before and after dynos of power adders (along with baselines). Doesn't seem like that gets done anymore. Looking at PAW's site, looks like the WR2 should actually work as well. Only $100 cheaper than the WR3 lol, but I'd think spool time would be a little quicker as the wheel is a bit smaller. Maybe negligible though. I contacted PAW last week about the Sniper package. I didn't really get any answers back, just that 8 weeks out for turbo build it's self, and they are booked for installs until middle of July. I'll most likely be driving right by RPM Motorsports this coming Monday or Tuesday on our way home with the car. I hit up Martin about a week or so ago, and gave him my cell to call that requested. Never heard back after that. Though, I'd rather deal with someone closer to MN, where I live. Which would be PAW at 6 hours away.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Dynos vary considerably, and RPM (understandably?) seems to use figures from an optimistic one.

Another owner and I did identical mods to our cars. He dynoed his and got 324 whp, which we figured is around 375 at the flywheel. They are capable of breaking into the 12 second range - just. Like 12.8-12.9 or so depending on technique of the driver and tire compounds.

I like the modified K04 as it still has minimal lag even with the larger wheel Going to a larger turbo would certainly get you more power, but combined with more lag. Only you could say whether it was too much lag for you.
K04 seemed the sensible thing to do as the performance is very significantly enhanced and I am happy with the result.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I remain unconvinced that the K04 'big wheel' is worth the money and hassle. I have one. I think most of the new power comes from the tune, and I came from the GMPP tune. On my car we had to limit boost at higher RPMs due to knock. And it's at those higher RPMs that the bigger wheel really helps. I can only get 92 octane here and am not interested in driving around with a trunk full of octane boost or running meth injection.

I did not pre-post dyno my car. But my buddy, with the same mods as me did. He netted 12 HP. He had a custom tune before we put the K04 on his car. I did not. My data set is admittedly inadequate.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
For me, at least, the big wheel worked well.

I have run stock, GMPP, basic Trifecta, and custom Trifecta with big wheel turbo. The last was a significant step up. I wonder if the difference between your experience and mine is in the fact that I have access to unleaded 94 octane fuel here?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lorennerol
Did you have an intercooler? What were you & your buddies mods? I haven't read it much on here, but dropping a heat range cooler on the plugs might help. I agree, I'm not carry bottles of octane booster around either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A WR3 from PAW would definitely do it and with that manifold spool time will be less as well...at least a little. That's where the flow helps you. (I should have got one of those...)
ROBO, can you explain the differences between the WR-2, WR-3, and WR-4? It seems that the WR-1 they offer is the big wheel in the K04 housing, which I understand to be beneficial due to exact fitment. Do the others require modification?

Reactions: load97

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
lorennerol
Did you have an intercooler? What were you & your buddies mods? I haven't read it much on here, but dropping a heat range cooler on the plugs might help. I agree, I'm not carry bottles of octane booster around either.
PAW Intercooler
DDM charge pipes
High flow cat
Solo Street Race exhaust (my buddy had the Solo exhaust with the muffler)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
That is identical to my car, except that I use a different Solo exhaust. I had the street/race but they are unbearable in a coupe due to a resonation at certain rpms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just ordered the catless downpipe and the Solo Shorty Mach, because I heard the Street Race could be obnoxious with a catless. I'm hoping for a bit of a throaty growl and maybe some sexy pops and burbles on the overrun, but I really don't want it to sound like a tin can.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
ROBO, can you explain the differences between the WR-2, WR-3, and WR-4? It seems that the WR-1 they offer is the big wheel in the K04 housing, which I understand to be beneficial due to exact fitment. Do the others require modification?
I have to look up the WR2 but the WR3 and WR4 are the Kappa versions of the ZZP EFR turbos. These turbos are water cooled and mount to the LNF turbo manifold and downpipe and use the stock oil and water line locations (but new lines). This makes them a direct bolt on for the LNF.

The difference between them is the power they support due to their compressor and turbine size. The WR3 will support up to about 525 bhp. The WR4 will support up to 600 bhp. The WR2 looks a little smaller still supporting up to 475 bhp. For reference, 500 whp = apx 609 bhp. I usually talk in whp not bhp so when I say I am going for 450-500 hp, that's Wheel Horsepower (whp) and equals about 550-609 Crank Horsepower (bhp).

Now, you can get a larger turbo and not use all of it but the stock LNF Turbo engine is only good to about 400 whp. Above that, you're going to want to build it out. So going with a WR3 or 4 on a stock engine may be over kill since a WR2 would do. Also, spool time will be faster on the WR2 than the WR3 and WR4.

You will probably want to have supporting mods to go to those power levels though. Going from 225-235 (stock LNF whp level) to 350-400 is a BIG jump. Intercooler, down pipe, fuel pump, maybe injectors and either a fuel pump cam or higher output High Pressure fuel pump is probably on the shopping list too for a maxed out WR2 build. All that plus forged rods, forged pistons and ARP head studs will be necessary for a WR3 or WR4 max build.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone comment on the hp limit of the stock K04 (assuming other upgrades and custom or canned tuning) and the hp limits of one of the "Big Wheel" upgrades K04 units? Is there any reason to stay away from a "Big Wheel" vs the WR2? I'm assuming that water cooling is an advantage if that applies to the WR2, since heat is the enemy. My goal is to break the 300whp mark; I want it to be a bit quicker, but still somewhat civilized.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, are all Big Wheels created equally? Thought I’ve read there were some changes made after the first few years of it coming out. But maybe I misunderstood/misread.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The big wheel conversion on the K04 doesn't have the same flow rate as the larger turbos but the larger turbos also add lag. It is up to each owner to draw the line on how much lag they are willing to live with - my personal thought is that while higher peak power may be exhilarating right after you get it; living with more lag may annoy you forever after, so I tend to the somewhat conservative regarding turbo flow.

Also, where Werks comes in, you must realize that the WR2 and WR3 names have been applied to various turbos over the years and what someone bought as that a decade ago may be a totally different turbo today. You'd have to ask which model each is currently.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Intercooler
High flow cat
K04 big wheel kit
Dyno tune

intake tubes
CAI

TIA!
I have roughly 500whp, but it cost me a bundle. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As of last night I booked the car with Martin @ RPM Motorsports. Doing their Stage 3 & intercooler, as well as full E85 (injectors, rail & HPFP). Also bought HPT MPVI2. I'm thinking I should hit him up today for the catch can setup too. Installed one on my 2018 F150 3.5 TT. It usually fills up once between 5k oil changes. Especially when I run E50 it seems like. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of their intercooler pipes, so I might change that out later. My wife liked the look of the big shot CAI, so I ended up with that. Will say even though it's an overkill, does look pretty cool.

I pick the car up on Sunday, drive the evening to Phoenix for a install this Monday, then make our way towards home vacationing on the way.

Reactions: squilliam

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The big wheel conversion on the K04 doesn't have the same flow rate as the larger turbos but the larger turbos also add lag. It is up to each owner to draw the line on how much lag they are willing to live with - my personal thought is that while higher peak power may be exhilarating right after you get it; living with more lag may annoy you forever after, so I tend to the somewhat conservative regarding turbo flow.

Also, where Werks comes in, you must realize that the WR2 and WR3 names have been applied to various turbos over the years and what someone bought as that a decade ago may be a totally different turbo today. You'd have to ask which model each is currently.
I caught that a while ago reading posts from the ought years on up. Same names mostly, but different turbos. Thank you though. I'm a bigger fan of superchargers than turbos as I really hate lag. Taken a bit to get use to my current truck with it's turbos. Which Ford does a good job of it, but still not quite like a supercharger. PAW unfortunately was not available until middle end of July at the soonest to do one of their cheaper turnkey setups. Was not willing to wait that long.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
My wife liked the look of the big shot CAI, so I ended up with that. Will say even though it's an overkill, does look pretty cool.
Hammerhead Intake

LOL

It is for the cool factor and sound. Wish I knew someone with a stock Turbo car with a tune who wanted one of these, Would be nice to do a before and after dyno. While most say there is no gain, it would be nice to see if there are gains in other areas of the power band like with the 2.4.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts