Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer in Maryland does not offer the 3M clear bra and I want to put one on my Sky. Does anyone know where I can find a list of retailers?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
3m Bra

I want one too..........
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
KappaSphere will be offering one I believe I read. They're working on becoming a Supporter now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
me too

I want one too. Soon!
 

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
Joined
·
408 Posts
3M clear bra installed-pics

:D I just got mine installed on Thursday(3/14) and it looks great! It goes straight across the front of th hood, and covers all of the front fender and they did the mirrors too. All for $499. PM me and I'll tell you the company(Triad, NC area) The guy that did it said not to wash/wax it until 2-3 days after, as it needs time to cure. Pics-
 

Attachments

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
Joined
·
408 Posts
More pics

The company that did it said they were based in San Antonio and they finally got the template done (that's why I had to wait so long to apply-a month after my car arrived). The guy said he's done a Solstice too, but he loved my Sky. He said the bra is applied like Saran wrap and it cures in the heat (which it was quite warm this weekend-80-90 degrees) so it was sure to adhere properly.
 

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I only have one question. How easy is it to remove if you decide to some time later?
 

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
Joined
·
408 Posts
It comes with a 5 year warranty and the guy recommends a detail spray to clean the bugs off. I think all of the bugs in NC came and committed suicide on my fender and windshield as I was driving this weekend (went on a roadtrip to Raleigh) (sorry Jill-no time to stop by your place to visit-maybe next time:D ) The edges of the bra don't go all the way around to the underside of the fenders, but I think 99% of exposed surfaces are covered very well.
 

Attachments

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
Joined
·
408 Posts
I'll have to find out about removal rick-I don't think I would ever want to take it off, though, since it's for protection against the road debris. I guess if it ever started looking bad (but then it's a clear film and is guaranteed not to turn, etc). You can't tell it's on the car from 3 ft away, but as you get close you can see the thin straight line across the hood. If you closely look at it in the sun, you can tell a difference in the car's finish-it is just a little less reflective on the clear bra area. It passed my parent's cat's (Mattie) test(official cat scan), so I guess I'll keep it on:lol:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
NCBlue said:
:D I just got mine installed on Thursday(3/14) and it looks great! It goes straight across the front of th hood, and covers all of the front fender and they did the mirrors too. All for $499. PM me and I'll tell you the company(Triad, NC area) The guy that did it said not to wash/wax it until 2-3 days after, as it needs time to cure. Pics-
This must be an item where markup varies greatly. I opted for the 3M clearbra offered through my saturn dealer and it's 399 installed. Maybe it's less expensive here because the dealer is less than 5 miles from 3M world headquarters. I think this is a must though as I can see potential for a lot of rock chips on the front end after a few miles on the highways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Does the 3M stuff wax/buff out the same as the regular paint??

I was just thinking after waxing and buffing out the car would the non-coated areas be shinier than the areas with the 3M tape on them??

I've never used any product like this so just looking for the experienced voice.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
usmc said:
Does the 3M stuff wax/buff out the same as the regular paint??

I was just thinking after waxing and buffing out the car would the non-coated areas be shinier than the areas with the 3M tape on them??

I've never used any product like this so just looking for the experienced voice.

Thanks
The FAQ section of the web sight said that it could be waxed with a non abrasive wax. They also recomended some ways to clean it .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
nighttripper said:
The FAQ section of the web sight said that it could be waxed with a non abrasive wax. They also recomended some ways to clean it .
I saw that, but I never really trust what the manufacturer has to say about their own product. I'm hoping for a post from someone who has used it in the past.

I just had another thought, over the years the sun fades paint, unprotected paint even quicker. does that mean that after a few years in the hot Cali sun that the regular paint part of my car will be shiny while the part under the sticky tape will begin to fade at a faster rate since its not protected? or is it protected by the wax placed on the tape during regular waxings?

does wax adhere to the tape?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
I guess a person would have to decide whether they wanted faded or chiped, But the manufacturer stated that the product has a special clear coat on the membrane to prevent discolouring. As for the unprotected part fading, I'm wondering if the paint protectorant at the dealership would help in this area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I think the product has been used on the underside of some military aircraft going in to some of the fields in the sand box...helps with the gravel and rocks...also think it was used in Vietnam on helo blades. It has also been used on the vertical stab of commercial aircraft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Iceman49 said:
I think the product has been used on the underside of some military aircraft going in to some of the fields in the sand box...helps with the gravel and rocks...also think it was used in Vietnam on helo blades. It has also been used on the vertical stab of commercial aircraft.
I have not seen 3M installed on transport aircraft due to the heat of the anti-ice system.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top