Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a couple of articles that talk about the starting of 3rd shift at the plant and the re-hiring of 550 employees on Jan 9th. Thought you might be interested.

GM article - http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=20162

Wilmington Journal article:

550 laid-off workers to return to plant
GM's Newport facility adds third shift to meet sports car orders
Orders for the Pontiac Solstice have been better than expected.

By LULADEY B. TADESSE and PETER BOTHUM
The News Journal
11/03/2005

General Motors Corp. will bring back 550 laid-off workers to its Newport plant next year to ramp up production of the Pontiac Solstice and launch two new sports cars.

The plant will add a third shift beginning Jan. 9 to meet the better-than-expected orders for the Solstice. Most of the workers who will constitute the new overnight shift were let go in June 2004, when the plant discontinued the Saturn L-series.

"It's good to get back into a routine," said Tony Uniatowski, who came back to work in March and hopes to work the third shift next year. "If you have been laid off for nine months, you get a little lazy."

The returning employees already have started training for their new jobs. The company will not hire any new employees to help assemble the Solstice, said Dan Flores, GM spokesman.

The new shift is necessary to keep up with demand for the Solstice. The company has received 15,000 orders, just months after production began this summer.

"Adding a third shift is somewhat reasonable because the entire first year of Solstices is sold," said Guido Vildozo, automotive market analyst at Global Insight in Lexington, Mass. "Some dealers are taking orders for vehicle deliveries for next August and September."

The demand bodes well for the plant's future, which is staked to low-volume sports cars, including the Saturn Sky and Opel Roadster. The Saturn Sky is expected to be in dealerships by April. And the Opel, which will be exported to Europe, is due at the end of 2006.

Still, the Solstice, Sky and Opel are low-volume niche vehicles. The three will bring production to 60,000 vehicles a year. The plant has the capacity to produce 250,000 vehicles.

Despite the relatively low production, three shifts are needed because the cars are assembled differently than sedans, Flores said.

Once the third shift begins, the plant will be building more than 100 vehicles per day. It will employ about 1,900 workers, including 1,750 hourly and 150 salaried.

"It is hard to say at this point in time, how sustainable that heavy demand will be for that vehicle," said Vildozo of the Solstice. "It's a niche vehicle, and that can mean after 12 and 18 months after hitting the market sales can taper off or the vehicle can be a hit."

For now, Uniatowski is just glad to work. He hopes to work the third shift so he can spend more time his daughter.

"This way, we won't have to put her in camp this summer," Uniatowski said. "I will be home during the day."

Contact Luladey B. Tadesse at 324-2789 or [email protected]. Contact Peter Bothum at 324-2428 or [email protected].

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting about the Opel being exported from here. I think that's the first time I've seen that kind of info. Is the Opel supposed to have anything different from the Sky?

·
Registered
411 Posts
So Disgrundled Ex-Employees will be working on my car, "Assembleing it"? I hope they are not pissed off and add a squeak to the car somewhere un-trackable,.. grrrrr :mad::mad: nah,.. jk,.. that's kool that their getting their jobs back. :D:D:D It's actually better that people who have worked on GM's equipment will be working on my car rather than some Newby Employee fresh out of High School or College.:cheers:

·
Registered
110 Posts
"Interesting about the Opel being exported from here. I think that's the first time I've seen that kind of info. Is the Opel supposed to have anything different from the Sky?"
It's far more similar to the Sky than to the Solstice. There are photos around.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I'm glad to see GM getting some work out of these people instead of just paying them to sit around and "get a little lazy." If GM wasn't forced to pay him to stay home and watch soap operas, maybe Tony would have been inspired to find another job and get into the routine he claims to have been craving. I can't believe he went on record as saying that crap.

Wonder why GM is having financial problems? It's crap like this, folks. It makes me want to go out and buy a foreign car just to avoid supporting people like Tony.

·
Registered
328 Posts
reedred said:
Wonder why GM is having financial problems? It's crap like this, folks. It makes me want to go out and buy a foreign car just to avoid supporting people like Tony.
"It's good to get back into a routine," said Tony Uniatowski, who came back to work in March and hopes to work the third shift next year. "If you have been laid off for nine months, you get a little lazy." :rolleyes: ... No Tony ... I do not know what it is like! :banghead:

I don't think that I have missed 9 days of work (since I was 16) let alone 9 months! I understand that sometimes it is hard to find a job ... but I took several jobs I did not enjoy ... to support my family, when I left the Army the first time. I worked for lower money and even moved to find a job ... so if there is a "will" then there usualy is a "way." JMHO

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tony "is" the product of the American union system. I like to pay an extra 25% for every vehicle and have to finance for 5 years (instead of 3) to support this system. :mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
kingarthur said:
"Interesting about the Opel being exported from here. I think that's the first time I've seen that kind of info. Is the Opel supposed to have anything different from the Sky?"
It's far more similar to the Sky than to the Solstice. There are photos around.
Then I suggest you link them.

All I can find are pictures of the Vauxhall concept, no Opel production pictures...

EDIT: unless you're talking about the few coupe pictures that were floating around??? I doubt they'd make it a coupe... but if they do! I hope I can get a Sky coupe!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Since when did they start calling the Wilmington plant "Newport"? or is that just a local thing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Then I suggest you link them.

All I can find are pictures of the Vauxhall concept, no Opel production pictures...

EDIT: unless you're talking about the few coupe pictures that were floating around??? I doubt they'd make it a coupe... but if they do! I hope I can get a Sky coupe!!!

If you've seen the Solstice Weekend Racer with removable hardtop, then one would assume that there is going to be a version for the Sky. By coupe, im not sure if you mean with 2 back seats or just a hard top...? But the Removable Hardtop would be really cool. :willy:

·
Registered
71 Posts
No, I was talking about the "true" hardtop pictures that surfaced in some european magazine of the Opel GT. Now, those pictures may have been prototypes or photoshops, but they are the only ones I can find anywhere of an Opel version of the Kappa. Everything else I can find is the Vauxhall version.

So, if anybody has any links to an Opel picture instead of the Vauxhall, I'd appreciate a link.

·
Registered
727 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there has yet to be any official photos of an Opel version. I remember the ones your talking about Sky.... I think (and I stress think) the coupe pics were some nicely done photoshops to show what an Opel coupe and roadster would most likely look like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts