Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't know that much about cars, but I had a 4 cylinder Pinto when I was a teenager and it was very slow. I know our Sky is a MUCH better and newer car, but do any of you have concerns about having a 4 cylinder car? I ask because I want to learn. Thanks!
Sue

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Indiana 500 Race cars are four cylinder cars.
:thumbs:

Pinto's are Fords -- bad Fords:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Okay, I don't know that much about cars, but I had a 4 cylinder Pinto when I was a teenager and it was very slow. I know our Sky is a MUCH better and newer car, but do any of you have concerns about having a 4 cylinder car? I ask because I want to learn. Thanks!
Sue
Back when you owned your Pinto, the average 4 cylinder car did 0-60 in around 18 to 20 seconds and had around 100 horsepower, the Standard 2.4 Sky will do 0-60 in around 7.2 seconds and has 177 horsepower... Also the Pinto and other small cars of that generation handled like a nightmare, the Sky handles like a dream... a very good dream...
There is no worries about power or handling with the Sky...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
When I returned from Southeast Asia I bought the cheapest car on the market at that time. A 1971 Ford Pinto. It had a 2000cc engine and got me from point A to point B as intended. Trust me. Comparing the Sky to a Pinto is.....well I don't know what it is but forget the Pinto.

·
Registered
540 Posts
No comparison

Sue
Sue, I completely understand your concern. However lets think about categorizing all V8's as really fast. Certainly wouldnt apply. Just because a car has a V8 its not certain to be fast - however it might be VERY fast - Agree?? Think about a big family cruiser V8 up against a Corvette - no comparison - right? Same thing with the Pinto vs. the Sky - no comparison. I hope my simplistic analogy makes you feel more secure about owning a 4 banger.:thumbs: Great question though!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It really depends on what current cars you want to compare it to also. If you're used to driving other modern 4-cyl cars, or are you used to v6 or v8? Of course any modern v6/v8 is going to provide far more power and make this car feel slower. If you've driven other econo 4-cyl cars this engine will definitely provide far more power then those do.

·
Registered
337 Posts
alohas

Sue

Aloha Sue...

Well....I can understand how you feel about all this...

I have owned many cars and was thinking I would have a problem with the small 4 banger compared to my other cars...

Well the truth is the 4 banger SKY ISN'T BAD....It has decent power...enough for you I would think...If you look at my THREAD about my 1,500 Mile review you will see what I have said about the whole car...I broke it all down...ck it out. If you are not happy with the power of the Sky you can get another 40hp or so more out of it with doing very simple Bolt on MODS to it...Many of us on here are doing them...for example:

Exhaust-Cold air induction-Throttle body-Headers-High Flow Cat-ECM ReFlash Computer. This Mods together should put you over the 220hp MARK....this is truly what the Sky should have come with stock...You should be able to do these Mods for about $2,000.00

Or Just get the Redline!!!!!!!!!

Aloha :cool:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Sue

Get the Red Line if your concern it has 260 HP.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You are showing your age... the Indy 500 4 cylinder 'age' were the Offy's of the 30's through the 70's (last win 1974).
Still a lot faster than a Pinto...:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Comparing the Sky to a Pinto is.....well I don't know what it is but forget the Pinto.
How about a race horse to a mule?? :lol:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sue
I had a Pinto wagon and floored, you could eat half a burger between 2nd and the 3rd gear upshift. :D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Yea, That's what I was trying to say. When I thought about my old Pinto and my Sky, I was just at a loss for words.:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Ford Pinto tain't nuthin' like a mule. Tain't never once heard of no mule explodin' when you smack 'em in the ass...

(How do you like my SKIP impression?)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Ford Pinto tain't nuthin' like a mule. Tain't never once heard of no mule explodin' when you smack 'em in the ass...

(How do you like my SKIP impression?)
Only if your holding a cigarette when you smack em :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts