Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Love the sleepers! The 3800 was a potent engine, that's for sure. I had heavily modified my Series II SC 3800 (That's the yellow engine above) and we figure, with the issues I had and on a very basic tune based on the times she was running that she was putting down something like 450 to the wheels. We would have got a lot more out of it had I had the time and money to finish it right.
Didn't the Buick Grand National GNx have a TC 3800 motor? I have read that it was the quickest production car of its time, even faster than a Vette.

Yogi

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Didn't the Buick Grand National GNx have a TC 3800 motor? I have read that it was the quickest production car of its time, even faster than a Vette.

Yogi
It did and it was. The 3800 in the Buick GNX (and Buick Regal T-type...and the 1985 Pontiac Trans Am Turbo...both of which are just as powerful but receive far less recognition) was the 3800 Series I. The Supercharged version in the 3800 Series II and Series III are direct descendants of that engine.

Sadly, the Series I is very different than the Series II and III and many of the aftermarket parts they make for the Series I (like heads) will not work on the later engiens.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Better late then never. Finally got it to the dyno.
This is the second iteration of the build, after I blew up my first trans and gave up on the MSD I was using originally.
Currently running Holley Dominator ECU.
I am not sure what is going on with the HP numbers. I would have expected it to climb another 40-60 points over the torque numbers, but that didn't happen. MAP load was slowly trailing off, so possibly exhaust or intake restriction. I'm over it for now, so this is how it shall be for the time being.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wish you all the luck with you engine swap, it is really cool. I wish I had that knowledge. My dream would be an all aluminum 3.8 V6 with twin turbos.

"The Sky's The Limit"

:patriot:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, it has come time to part ways with this project. I have accomplished what I wanted to do and had some fun doing. I have learned a lot along the way too.

The car is a monster and a head turner. It's just a blast and an adrenalin rush to drive around town. I just can't keep my foot out of it! So, it's probably a good thing that it's going to go away.

I have begun working on fixing up my first truck from high school. A 1950 chevy 3100 pick up. S10 frame swap and complete teardown and rebuild. This, coupled with not being able to easily smog the sky in cali anymore has prompted me to move on (from the sky).

I have a question though.
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THE SKY NOW?

#1. I CAN use the motor and engine management from the sky, in the truck. I do plan on running a magi tvs 2650 on the truck build. So the pistons would have to be swapped out for lower compression ones to accommodate running boost.

I would then have a 700 hp capable t-56 trans and the shell of the car to either part out or sell as a whole chassis for someone else to mess with.

#2. I could try to sell the sky as a whole package as is. But I would need to recoup the cost of the motor, engine management, accessory drive, fuel, and all the odds and ins that I could have repurposed for the truck.

Unfortunately, I fear that I can't get anywhere near the sum of its parts for it. I would need to sell for around $20k to reproduce (build again) what's in the sky that could have be used in my truck build.

Feedback would be welcome.
What would you do in my shoes?
-Take what I can use out of the sky and try to sell the rolling chassis off as a whole? Part out the chassis?
Or
-Try to sell the whole v8 swapped sky and start with a clean build sheet for my power plant for my new (old) project?

What's the most reasonable way to go?

·
Super Moderator
5,743 Posts

What's the most reasonable way to go?
Reasonable? Seriously? Pretty late in the game to be bringing up "reasonable".

• If you pull the engine and transmission, what would you have to sell the roller for?
  • What condition is the rest of the car in?
  • How difficult would it be to restore a stock drivetrain?
  • How big is your hurry to be rid of it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
lol MOST reasonable...;)

If I pull the motor and trans, then there isn't really any goal for recouping any more costs. Most of the value lies in the power train. I don't even know what a roller would be worth.

Esthetically, the chassis is in decent shape. One ding on the front bumper. Has 120k miles on it I would say.

For me to restore it back to stock would be impractical as I don't have the stock motor/trans anymore.
For someone else to do it they would have to source; motor/trans, ecu, engine harness, radiator, fan, fan controller, motor mounts, accessories, drive shift, torque arm, shifter, exhaust, fuel line, clutch lines, and all the hoses and lines for motor p.s. vacuum coolant and the like.

As for timing. Im ready to start working on the motor for my next project now. I have the rolling chassis close to being complete. If I pulled the sky's v8 motor then I could sit on the sky chassis for a while. No rush there.

·
Super Moderator
5,743 Posts
I wasn't thinking about you restoring it, but a straight chassis would be of some value to someone who has wrecked a car or who buys a salvage. In either case they would have all of the mechanical bits that were needed. Since you aren't looking for a lot you could make someone a decent enough deal to make it work.

I think that in your place I would pull the engine and advertise the roller. An alternative would be to part out the valuable pieces and scrap the rest, but it seems a shame to waste a sound chassis.

California is way too far to make it worthwhile, or I would be interested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I appreciate you taking some time to share your thoughts, John.
I think that makes perfect sense to me as well.

What do you think the price range one could expect out of a roller like mine would be?

·
Super Moderator
5,743 Posts
That is a really good question. It started life as a RedLine, correct?

If everything is in decent condition you probably have $2-3,000 in salable parts if you wanted the hassle of selling piecemeal.
That is also what i would expect that someone would be willing to pay if they had serious body damage but an intact drivetrain.
The problem is going to be finding that person.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yes, it was a red line originally.
We shall see how it goes. Im going to start taking her apart tonight.

Hopefully the right buyer will pop up during the process.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts