Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Yep...... there is a thread about noises, etc... i cant find it right now.... i was told that it is NORMAL... whatever that is.. SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, if i let it off clutch and idle
engaging and disengaging the clutch causes a slight
driveline clunk. in first or second gear
if you read your manual you will find where saturn
says this is normal, sounds to me like gears in the trans
i've heard corvette does the same with a manual trans

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not me, but then I have the radio cranking so loud could be missing it. Will listen for next time.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mono01 said:
has anyone have a clucking noise when shifting the 5-speed tramsmission thank you.
Hmm sounds like you ran over a chicken... normal shifting noises as far as i know from other manuals i have driven....It is a truck transmission....

·
Registered
192 Posts
The one clunk that you hear is backlash in the drive train. That can be prevented so I don't understand why Saturn took a stand that it is ok. I can even hear the shift linkage clatter as I shift. I received a call from a customer service lady at the Wilimington plant last week and I told her I thought the problem was that they don't have any sound deadening on the floor pan. I also have rearend whine and that I'm taking back to the dealer and insisting on a new rearend. I sure hope some of these dumb things are fixed before the Redlines start production. It's such a beautiful car to have basic stuff pull up short. I may be a little more critical than some of you because I just retired last fall from the gear business where I was a Quality Engineer and was deeply envolved in noise analysis in GM and Ford vehicles as a major component supplier.

Do you guys/gals hear the shift linkage in your Sky? This is on the 5 speed manual only.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
07 Chili Pepper said:
The one clunk that you hear is backlash in the drive train. That can be prevented so I don't understand why Saturn took a stand that it is ok. I can even hear the shift linkage clatter as I shift. I received a call from a customer service lady at the Wilimington plant last week and I told her I thought the problem was that they don't have any sound deadening on the floor pan. I also have rearend whine and that I'm taking back to the dealer and insisting on a new rearend. I sure hope some of these dumb things are fixed before the Redlines start production. It's such a beautiful car to have basic stuff pull up short. I may be a little more critical than some of you because I just retired last fall from the gear business where I was a Quality Engineer and was deeply envolved in noise analysis in GM and Ford vehicles as a major component supplier.

Do you guys/gals hear the shift linkage in your Sky? This is on the 5 speed manual only.
same issues with the Solstice....

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
same issues with the Solstice....
Yep! They reported it months ago. Think of it this way... Every roadster needs some character...Ours is the Clunk!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The one clunk that you hear is backlash in the drive train. That can be prevented so I don't understand why Saturn took a stand that it is ok.
Well, it is caused by drivetrain lash. Saturn doesn't have the authority to do anything about it - Bob Lutz is aware and is looking into a fix, but it's not ready yet and may or may not be retroactive, depending upon exactly which parts are involved. It may even remain as is.

·
Registered
422 Posts
07 Chili Pepper said:
The one clunk that you hear is backlash in the drive train. That can be prevented so I don't understand why Saturn took a stand that it is ok.
:agree:
Hey 07 Chili,
what do you think the clunk is mainly caused by, the transmission, the cardan shaft or the rear diff?

07 Chili Pepper said:
I also have rearend whine and that I'm taking back to the dealer and insisting on a new rearend.
That whining of the diff was reported by many members of the SolFoum already, but IMO it's not a real defect only a lack in manufacturing precision. Does GM accept a change under warranty? And if, do you think there is so much spread in production quality, that you have a chance to get a better one?

07 Chili Pepper said:
I sure hope some of these dumb things are fixed before the Redlines start production.
Are you shure that there are the same components in RL? The Aisin AR-5 transmission is listed for 225 lb-ft maximim torque, the Turbo engine has a maximum of 260 lb-ft.
Would be nice to hear your opinion with your background in Qualitity Engineering. :thumbs:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive already had an indepth debate with the dealer and Saturn Customer Service regarding the transmission clacking and the rearend whine and they are basically telling me that it is normal variation. I do know that a few years back we bought a Camaro for a test vehicle for our 5 speed transmissions and the rearend was so noisey that we couldn't hear the tranny. We finally had their engineering to go to the assembly line and hand pick a quiet unit for our vehicle. So I agree, their manufacturing process variation is far worse than they would accept from a supplier and worse than a customer should have to hear.

The clacking noise that I hear when shifting they say is the double cardan yoke but I'm not convinced because once you take up the play then you should not hear the noise again until you let off of the gas or change direction. We did put my car up on a lift and I noticed they have a pan under the driveshaft which is creating a bell affect making any noise louder in the driver's seat. The tech. at my dealership has promised to try some sound deadening on their demo. The sound deadening at present is a piece of 1/4 inch felt.

It is really sad to have such a beautiful car and have to listen to noises that make it sound like a piece of junk. My 99 Miata was whisper quiet even at 62,000 miles. It shifted smoother too. I had it 8 years with zero problems and I've had six problems already with the Sky.

Anyone out there do any insulating with success?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts