Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try to make a educated guess as to Sky availability, and distribution through dealer network. There are about 2500 Pontiac dealers and 17,000 Solstice limit in production. That is 6.8 Solstice per dealer for the whole year run. The theory that only two Skys a month per dealer on a equal distribution is flawed. That would be 24 per dealer for the model run.
I live in DuPage County In Illinois The dealer I bought my Solstice from has already delivered 5 and has 5 more accepted orders, and they also plan on selling more. wait what about 6.8 per dealer. The big dogs feast and the scraps go to the rest.
Then these list that dealers have of potential Sky owners contain quite a few dreamers. When the ordering begins the lists will thin considerately when real cash hits the table. The owner of my dealer owns Four Saturn Dealerships just in my general area and he laughs at the assumption of equal distribution. Real orders, with real money and real commitments will come from the historical high volume dealers and they will not be denied.
The two a month theory holds no water with production volume expected. It has been reported that Solstice production is up to 90 units a day, with the target set at the beginning of production of 100 a day.
The Solstice build will have worked out the mechanical flaws in production process so the Sky should be faster to full manufacturing speed.
So i don't think that GM would keep them stock piled built ready to go, just to send two a month to every dealer. I'm not a expert, I'm probably wrong, but I think the two a month to every dealer regardless of size or sales volume is absurd.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
I don't know who is talking about equal distribution but that's bull. From what I've heard some dealers might not get any Sky's. The first dealer wouldn't take my money as he suspected he would only get one at best. And he figured he'd be told what colour and options he'd be getting. No Choices!

Other dealers are figuring 5 or so. That could be bull too. As soon as Saturn gets the info out about final colours and options I'll be there to fill out the final order and I'll be there with more cash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Delnari said:
Remember, Saturn doesn't do business like Pontiac. Their allocations are different.
We received a PRELIMINARY report this morning that they have decided to divide allocation according to "market share" and "market area." :cheers: In other words, dealers that sale more cars will get more Skys and it will be different from region to region. :cheers: For us that will be great since we are one of the volume leaders in the region... :cool:

There is going to be a webcast event for Saturn on December 2nd and this is were we are expecting to receive allocation numbers. :eek:

We'll see...

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
quantity

from what i know, galpin saturn here in LA, is going to get around 40 in the initial shipment.
i believe galpin is the largest saturn dealer.
the alocation will be different at each dealer....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Come one people, there's no excuse for all this rampant speculation and missinformation spreading. We already know how this game is played. :brentil:

Sky Dealer is on the ball here with the correct information. Allocations and delivery and ordering and options will play out just like the Solstice.

Allocation Formula = (# of cars sold last year) + (% of Convertibles sold from a GM created list in the area). This also means some dealers may get ZERO cars.

Allocations are not out yet, so dealers have zero information on how many cars and how fast they will get them.

Knowing a dealers allocation does not tell you anything at all about when or how often those cars will arrive.

Pre-ordered cars can be optioned by the dealer, meaning you the buyer option the car exactly how you want.

If a dealer tells you anything different they're making BS up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
skybuy said:
from what i know, galpin saturn here in LA, is going to get around 40 in the initial shipment.
i believe galpin is the largest saturn dealer.
the alocation will be different at each dealer....
That is so funny, I have seen several posts from different parts of the country each one saying that their dealer tells them they are the largest in the country... they are all bragging and unless you can get the actual figures from each dealer you are just listening to more dealer BS...
Well all I know is I am number one at my dealer and as long as they get one I am supposed to get it...
According to Saturn there are approximately 450 dealers in the US and Canada....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Hmmmm . . . my dealer says "He's the largest dealer!". You other guy must really have it wrong. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Largest dealer?

Look on Saturn site for awards they give dealers, that would probably imply volume. But also asking the question on line in your search engine. I have seen stories of Saturn in California and one in New Jersey I beleave vying for one in two in single dealer sales everyyear. Then you also have to look at single owners of multiple dealerships. When awarding franchise to a dealer the manufacturer would in all likelyhood look at the success of the dealer in awarding multiple franchise. Combined sales of single owner multiple Saturn dealers groups may actually exceed the top two in single dealership sales. So it would be a matter of perception as to who would have the most influence in allocations. But It would be logical that the major dense population centers (California, New York, Chicago) affluence of area and of course convertible weather (California, Florida) would greatly affect allocations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Call me naive, but. . .

Allocation??

If Saturn dealer A is allocated (making numbers up)-- 12 SKYs
And Saturn Dealer B -- 4 SKYs

Saturn dealer B sells 10 SKYs and A sells 3...... Do you think Dealer B isn't getting 6 more? - And, that the "allocation" would be from SD-A!
If GM did that -- they deserve to go under.....

The Retailer orders a car -- the order gets entered into scheduling at the plant when you car is due to be built (it would be scheduled) it gets built, then delivered to the buyer.... I really do not seeing them "Selling Out" the total run. At least not for the initial buyers.
I can't imagine it happening any other way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must have your head stuck in the sand or something else

Reedred, I would assume by your reply you are in one of the areas that probably won't be getting a lot of Skys. In sales have you lost leaders things you sell not to make a killing but to create traffic. A limited production car is not a gold mine for Saturn. What it is, is a great advertising program for Saturn. These cars are going to bring traffic to Saturn Dealers. so they can sell more higher profit cars. If you live in a town where your nearest neighbor is acres away, I don't think that would be a good use of advertising dollars on Saturns part. They are going to put the majority of them where they can get maximum exposure to the greatest number of potential buyers for there whole line. As for affluence of areas, I was just stating the obvious, a two seat car with no storage capacity would not be that practical as a everyday car. But as a weekend fun car, and clear weather toy, or just a collectable. If your renting a apartment and working in a McDonald's are you going to have the dollars to own a impractical car. I think not.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
Reedred, I would assume by your reply you are in one of the areas that probably won't be getting a lot of Skys. In sales have you lost leaders things you sell not to make a killing but to create traffic. A limited production car is not a gold mine for Saturn. What it is, is a great advertising program for Saturn. These cars are going to bring traffic to Saturn Dealers. so they can sell more higher profit cars. If you live in a town where your nearest neighbor is acres away, I don't think that would be a good use of advertising dollars on Saturns part.
Thanks for your concern, but I live on Long Island- my nearest neighbor is about 50 feet away. What I meant was our weather won't help in the allocation game if it factors in at all, but there's certainly quite a bit of population density and affluence here!

I would, however, prefer that not many are sold here. It would be fine with me if I never saw my car at a stoplight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
General statements

Reedred, I am truly sorry for offending you. To clarify I made a general statement based on reason and business practice. I used extreme example of living acres apart from neighbors and working at McDonalds to make point. I do not know you and would never make a personal statement about someone without benefit of knowing background.
As for seeing one on every corner, even if the whole production run was sold in New York. You as a New Yorker would still see Sky's as a novelty, because of the limited numbers being made.
My comment on location basically in extreme abstract from a business sense. The unit sold in area with small dispersed populations when the Saturn new image rolls out to work in the morning for work or play 40-50 people will see this rolling advertisment. Where as your Sky in New York as you travel in congestion and rush hours going to and from work will reach millions of eyes a day. that just makes good business sense. So it be the same as Miller Lite advertising at the national checker championships instead of the Super Bowl. Big companies (GM) want maximum exposure for there image dollar. Once again I did not mean to offend you, but just base a theory on distribution. i hope you get the sky you desire.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Uh- I wasn't offended or anything, just figured I would clear that up. Thanks for the apology anyway! I do, however, have a friend who makes more money than me as a McManager...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who will be right on Distribution

Just flew in from Holiday and checked out forum. I think it will be interesting to see how the distribution numbers pan out. Lots of theories, but it will be fun to see who hits closest to the mark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
brentil said:
Come one people, there's no excuse for all this rampant speculation and missinformation spreading. We already know how this game is played. :brentil:

Sky Dealer is on the ball here with the correct information. Allocations and delivery and ordering and options will play out just like the Solstice.

Allocation Formula = (# of cars sold last year) + (% of Convertibles sold from a GM created list in the area). This also means some dealers may get ZERO cars.

Allocations are not out yet, so dealers have zero information on how many cars and how fast they will get them.

Knowing a dealers allocation does not tell you anything at all about when or how often those cars will arrive.

Pre-ordered cars can be optioned by the dealer, meaning you the buyer option the car exactly how you want.

If a dealer tells you anything different they're making BS up.
I agree just came back from dealer this weekend and this is what they inferred to me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
hi! new to this forum. found this site while trying to dig up more in depth info on the sky. great site by the way!

this post on allocation kinda got me concerned... me being in canada. i'm wondering if the sky can only be purchased from alloted dealerships? i can't just order and wait for my sky to be delivered? might be a few months to several months wait time.... not possible?

i might just want to wait out till the sky RL comes out. :D
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
need4speed said:
hi! new to this forum. found this site while trying to dig up more in depth info on the sky. great site by the way!

this post on allocation kinda got me concerned... me being in canada. i'm wondering if the sky can only be purchased from alloted dealerships? i can't just order and wait for my sky to be delivered? might be a few months to several months wait time.... not possible?

i might just want to wait out till the sky RL comes out. :D
Welcome to the forum. Nobody really knows when cars will be produced or how long it'll take to get them in any specific place. There are some pretty reasonable theories and tidbits of information, but it all comes down to guessing at this point. We're all expecting to know more on Friday after a dealer web conference.

Right now you can't order the car, but it should be soon. If you're willing to wait, you'll definitely get one sooner or later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
reedred said:
Welcome to the forum. Nobody really knows when cars will be produced or how long it'll take to get them in any specific place. There are some pretty reasonable theories and tidbits of information, but it all comes down to guessing at this point. We're all expecting to know more on Friday after a dealer web conference.

Right now you can't order the car, but it should be soon. If you're willing to wait, you'll definitely get one sooner or later.
What time will the dealer conference be? I want to show up at the dealers right after the conference?????????????????????????????????? :willy: :willy:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top