Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a bit long, but I am past the 500 mile point, so probably a good time for a good first impression. I have been debating how to present this, just a somewhat rambling narrative or a good and bad list. The thing I dislike about good and bad lists are that anyone can find something work with even the best of something. And a lot of time it is not really good or bad, just good or bad for that person, so more of an opinion than actually good or bad. For example, one of the articles on the Sky said the gear shift was in an uncomfortable position and both my wife and I think it’s position is perfect.

The Sky is a blast to drive. It is not the quickest car I have ever driven, nor the most powerful, but then again I can’t think of a single car I have driven where I said, “damn, this has too much power!” Well, there is my truck, but you don’t want to hear about that, Duramax Diesel – nuf said. The acceleration is good, if you need a bit more downshift and you get what you need. I have not had any problem passing when I needed too, or getting into traffic when required. I imagine that the 260 hp Redline would just get me a lot of tickets from the law enforcement folks around here. While you may want more power, I don’t know how you can improve on the handling. It sticks like glue to the road. That line from Pretty Women, “tell your friend it drives like it handles like it is on rails” fully applies to this car. Go around a 90 degree turn, drop it to second and floor it and it sends you down the road like it is suppose to. Taking a turn at 10 or 20 miles over the posted (not that I recommend reckless driving) and it drives the line like a slot car but without the fishtail. This car was made for twisties, or as my MC friends would say, “it is flickable!” And the ride is smooth. It smoothes out bumps my wife’s XType Jag doesn’t.

I won’t really pay much attention to gas mileage until it has closer to 5000 miles on it, but the display is saying 23.9 right now and has been steadily climbing. This all around town driving, no trips yet. Not as good as my BMW R1150RT (47mpg), but seeing another bike accident while coming from the doctors office to check my knee reminded me why I am in the Sky. For a roadster it will get respectable gas mileage. I could either get really good gas mileage, or really fun to drive, and sorry, nothing in the high mileage (4 wheel type) can even remotely be considered fun to drive (IMHO).

I did get a windscreen for it and it does knock the cockpit wind down a bit, but even with out it, it still has less cockpit wind than my Corvette does. You can hold a conversation at highway speed, and you can’t say that about too many convertibles of any type. It has been too many years since I had my Skylark convertible, so I don’t remember how bad the cockpit wind was in it. However, I can tell you, I can’t drive my Jeep YJ without earplugs and in the Corvette even I need a hat to keep my hair from getting tangled, and you don’t with the Sky. The top is easy to get up and down, and I have found that if you place you hand in the center of the humps and give a quick continuous down force ( I take my hand away just before impact) the trunk closes pretty much the first time every time. The top is a bit easier to lock with the windows down a tad, but is not that much tougher with the windows up. Overall, a pretty easy top to put up and down.

Yeah, the mirror adjustment could have had a bit better placement, and the same with the windows, but once you get use to it, neither are that bad. I would like to see the window controls on the console by the gear shift like the older Vettes had it, which would also mean a few less control buttons. That was the only place the Vette had window controls. I won’t complain about storage space, because it is acres above what a MC has, so for me it is fine. I will take my wife’s Jag if I need to get stuff, or my truck if I need a lot of STUFF! The steering wheel does block a bit of view of the instruments, but so does the steering wheel on my Jeep, so no real hassles there. You adjust a bit. I would like it to tilt up a bit more, but hey, it is nothing I can’ t live with.

Over all the positives out-weight the minor negatives. This car is a blast to drive, handles like a dream, and gives a ride that puts most roadsters to shame. I love this Sky! It is everything I hoped for and then some.:thumbs: :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great review! Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ya dun did good. Nice review. Makes me sigh thinking that some day my Sky will come in.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Nice review. Makes me feel better about the car I've ordered site unseen.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I definitely agree too....

Only thing that I find more humerous than bothersome is every morning when I drop my daughter off at school, I forget that I have to, or she has to unlock the door before getting out.... meaning the doors stay locked.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thank you -- good narrative... It gives a good overall view. I just CAN'T WAIT!!:willy:

·
Registered
55 Posts
great review ! one week to go before our canadian release!!!:willy:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
chyno said:
great review ! one week to go before our canadian release!!!:willy:
Got my invite for next thursday we'll have to wait and see what's going on. Hopefully the cars will soon follow. A Pleasant and honest review.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree

Good review - I have 2000 miles now and agree with this review.:cheers:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ditto!!!!

I have had my car for about a month now & I would like to say that I concur, so far, with everything in that post. I could not have done a better job at this time.
I will probably post something similar after I get a few more miles.
As I have posted several times before, this roadster is everything I wanted, expected & got, and then some.:thumbs:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
I definitely agree too....

Only thing that I find more humerous than bothersome is every morning when I drop my daughter off at school, I forget that I have to, or she has to unlock the door before getting out.... meaning the doors stay locked.
Hit your unlock button two times in succession..passenger door then unlocked. You probably already know that, but some don't.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
eldeeko said:
Hit your unlock button two times in succession..passenger door then unlocked. You probably already know that, but some don't.
doesn't that only work with the engine off? If its running, I understand that you have to either unlock manually (pull up on the thingy) or use the keyless FOB

·
Registered
276 Posts
usmc said:
doesn't that only work with the engine off? If its running, I understand that you have to either unlock manually (pull up on the thingy) or use the keyless FOB

The only unlock button is on the keyfob. There are none inside the car..only the ones on top of each door.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
ah, ok... he was talking about the unlock button on the FOB... got it

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Great Job TexSon! I am really looking forward to seeing you down the road. :thumbs:

·
Registered
105 Posts
great review. On the subject of power:

The Sky is not underpowered for what it is but it is underpowered for what it looks like.

People think that it must have 250-300 horse. I love it!

Chris

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice review! I agree, the car has "just enough" power for me, but I would like to probably move to the Redline when it comes out! I am sure a lot of youg uys will be int he same boat after getting used to their standard SKY's and then test drive the new RL.

The door lock issue isn't a big deal but yes sort fo bothersome to say the least. It is the one thing that is in the dark ages on this car. I have started using the keyfob too when I stop the car and let someone out. I also find myself using the keyfob quite a bit when popping the trunk, but that is only because I hate to keep explaining to the passenger (especially when new passenger) on how to pop the trunk. Hit the keyfob and bam, task completed!

I am about at 500 and this car is ever so much more enjoyable than I imagined before. I still get the "What the heck is that?" ALL the time and that maybe is starting to get old to me now, fun at first but old now :D Well this car has already showed me some great times and I look forward to summer and seeing what happens...

P.S. Oh and btw my tan looks great now after driving day after day for 15 minutes or so with the top down :thumbs:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Power?

Everyone seems to say the sky has enough power and fun to drive, but can you break the tires loose in a corner if you want? Or is there to much traction? I'm not looking for tire smoking power either but burning a little rubber once in a while can be fun.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree completely with this review, especially the part quoting pretty woman, and it cornering like it's on rails. I've never understood that before this car, but now I do. I can turn a corner going so much faster and it just turns, never fishtails. It is the most fun and I do it every chance I get (when it's safe to do so).

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SlidinSky said:
Everyone seems to say the sky has enough power and fun to drive, but can you break the tires loose in a corner if you want? Or is there to much traction? I'm not looking for tire smoking power either but burning a little rubber once in a while can be fun.
I have tried, and have not been able to exceed the traction. :thumbs: I haven't done anything stupid and don't intend too, I waited too long for a car like this as a daily driver (and don't mean the wait since ordering) to do anything that might get me wrapped around a tree.:D That being said, I have floored it pretty good around corners and it sticks like glue.:jester:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts