Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by my dealer today and one of the salesmen said he heard that there is an after market computer chip out there now that will boost the Sky HP by 25. Has anyone else heard this and if so, where do you get them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
skyfan said:
I stopped by my dealer today and one of the salesmen said he heard that there is an after market computer chip out there now that will boost the Sky HP by 25. Has anyone else heard this and if so, where do you get them?
I will probably be corrected by the people more versed in this area, but he is probably referring to the piggy backs chips you see all over ebay. As it may work to begin with, your car's ecu will adapt to the change quickly and the chip will be absolutly useless. WASTE OF MONEY!:cool:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
What I have seen posted here is a reprogramed chip that will remove the speed limitation on the car. As a biproduct of that modification you get more HP as well. The downside is you seem to have to use the best gogo juice.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
No..We have a ECM reprogramed vender who has worked out the power line..check the SOL forum and read the reports, 30hp if header, CAI, and Muf is replaced...but the most power and performance comes from the ECM reprogram....SEAL9:cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
The "chip mod" the initial poster was talking about is a common SCAM. The chip is actually just a resistor that sits between the intake temp sensor and the ECU and tries to trick the computer into adding more fuel. The problem with that is that the ECU on the sky, and on every other car since the late 80s, uses a closed loop fuel system. That means that it constantly modifies its own fuel delivery tables based on readings from the O2 sensor— here's what will happen:

1. ECU sees drop in air temp and adds more fuel
2. Extra fuel results in lower readings from the oxygen sensor in the exhaust system
3. ECU sees lower oxygen readings and reduces the amount of fuel delivered, effectively bypassing the "chip mod."

You can reprogram the ECU to ignore the O2 sensor to deliver more fuel, or to advance the spark timing faster, but you will eat gas like crazy and risk damaging your engine with knock. Also ECU reprogramming is fantastically expensive, so unless you plan on removing the speed limit and trying to kill yourself hitting a pothole at 140 MPH, I wouldn't really recommend it :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
The "chip mod" the initial poster was talking about is a common SCAM. The chip is actually just a resistor that sits between the intake temp sensor and the ECU and tries to trick the computer into adding more fuel. The problem with that is that the ECU on the sky, and on every other car since the late 80s, uses a closed loop fuel system. That means that it constantly modifies its own fuel delivery tables based on readings from the O2 sensor— here's what will happen:

1. ECU sees drop in air temp and adds more fuel
2. Extra fuel results in lower readings from the oxygen sensor in the exhaust system
3. ECU sees lower oxygen readings and reduces the amount of fuel delivered, effectively bypassing the "chip mod."

You can reprogram the ECU to ignore the O2 sensor to deliver more fuel, or to advance the spark timing faster, but you will eat gas like crazy and risk damaging your engine with knock. Also ECU reprogramming is fantastically expensive, so unless you plan on removing the speed limit and trying to kill yourself hitting a pothole at 140 MPH, I wouldn't really recommend it :)
There is the detailed answer i couldn't give in post#2.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
May be so, But take a look at the SOL forum, 50% of them have reprogramed all ready with no problem and for under 400.00 the improvement is very good, the vender will be posting on the SKY forum soon and provides other speed parts as well.....with this ECU useing "CAN" maybe its not so hard...SEAL9:cheers:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yes the Graph is Posted on nthe SOL forum...SEAL9

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
seal9 said:
May be so, But take a look at the SOL forum, 50% of them have reprogramed all ready with no problem and for under 400.00 the improvement is very good, the vender will be posting on the SKY forum soon and provides other speed parts as well.....with this ECU useing "CAN" maybe its not so hard...SEAL9:cheers:
50% gamble on $400, not a good deal where I come from.:brentil:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong but the "chip" was used on OBD1 generation cars, OBD2 generation requires reprogamming of the computer.:skep:

·
Registered
311 Posts
twirp said:
Correct me if Im wrong but the "chip" was used on OBD1 generation cars, OBD2 generation requires reprogamming of the computer.:skep:
Please explain that a little for us people a little slow.:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
OBD = On Board Diagnostics. It's a standard communication protocol used by most cars since the early 90s for talking to a diagnostic computer.

mglindo said:
Please explain that a little for us people a little slow.:)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
TexSon said:
50% gamble on $400, not a good deal where I come from.:brentil:
He was saying 50% of the comminity has flashed, not 50% have had no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
Mind posting the graph here for us?
Currently I have ye to actually hear of an issue with their chip, however they're not a Supporter here yet. Hopefully they'll decide to be soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
I'll believe it when I see it :) Has anybody dyno'd this to verify it?

I agree. I have seen many GM engines pick up 3-4% through very good fine-tuning of the ECM program: lean out the mixture to the limit, advanced the timing in the engine maps, etc., one consequence is a strict appetite for premium fuel: but you do get 3-4%.

Anything more from reprogramming and its just BS - it might be BS the owner saw on a dyno, but I know of many ways to duge a dyno (play the heat soak heavy on the stock base run, fiddle with straps, tire pressures), and I also know that most owners WANT the results to be impressive. 25 HP?: not going to happen on a stock car with any re-programming on standard pump gas.

But the comment that ". . . and read the reports, 30hp if header, CAI, and Muf is replaced...but the most power and performance comes from the ECM reprogram" is often correct. Those three additions change the tuning needs of a modern closed-loop ECM engine so much that they often provide very little added power (maybe only 12 HP) until the ECM is re-programmed so the engine uses the mods well (and gives 30 or whatever): since the re-programmin is done last, many an owner might conclude that the ECM re-programming was the big contributor, adding 18 HP more, when in fact it is only unlocking the 18 HP power potential that is really from the headers and CAI

·
Registered
92 Posts
HP not the end all

Remember, all these minor mods are really meaningless unless you can Dyno your car to verify them. That typically costs $100+.

Also, more HP does not always effectively transleate into more torque. Most of us are trying to improve that 0-60 time, and 25 more HP ~may only translate into 5 lbs of torque depending on the engine. I have never found these chip mods to be cost effective and they typically void the warranty. If you are gonna dump $400-500 into something get a better air intake and exhaust.

<Non-Supporting Vendor contact information removed per forum policy.>

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Remember, all these minor mods are really meaningless unless you can Dyno your car to verify them. That typically costs $100+.

Also, more HP does not always effectively transleate into more torque. Most of us are trying to improve that 0-60 time, and 25 more HP ~may only translate into 5 lbs of torque depending on the engine. I have never found these chip mods to be cost effective and they typically void the warranty. If you are gonna dump $400-500 into something get a better air intake and exhaust.

<Non-Supporting Vendor contact information removed per forum policy.>
Wow, this Solstice almost looks good - much better nose. But if you want performance, for less than $10K, get the new KZ that puts 181hp in a 435lbs package. Of course it is 2 wheels, but there won't be much on the road that will beat you.:lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll have to agree that getting an extra 25HP from a chip mod is just so much nonsense. Does anyoine realy believe that GM engineers are going to bypass an
essentially cost free (to them) technique for boosting HP in a car that will really benefit from it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts