Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ,like everyone else, am trying not to get taken advantage of when I finally get a chance to buy this car. I have bought 2 Saturns in the past and never had a problem, but it seems that this car is bringing out the greed in some folks. So a few questions:

1. Is a "dealer prep" charge bogus?
2. Is the "dealer prep" part of the destination charge?
3. I've heard of people being charged for "undercoating", is this for real?
4. Are there any other suspicious charges to look out for?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
rwood411 said:
I ,like everyone else, am trying not to get taken advantage of when I finally get a chance to buy this car. I have bought 2 Saturns in the past and never had a problem, but it seems that this car is bringing out the greed in some folks. So a few questions:

1. Is a "dealer prep" charge bogus?
2. Is the "dealer prep" part of the destination charge?
3. I've heard of people being charged for "undercoating", is this for real?
4. Are there any other suspicious charges to look out for?
well it used to be dealer prep was just part of their overhead just like documentation fees... now some dealers will advertize a lower selling price and then tack on those fees and then your price will be back where a dealer that does not charge them is... I say usually but sometimes they will end up charging more...

some other things to watch out for are:

1. AMV stickers, This is something they put on saying that is what the car should cost "Adjusted Market Value" It is bogus as heck.
2. Enviromental package, Usually a wax job and Scotch Guard sprayed on the seats.... not needed
3. undercoating, Usually voids the factory rust through warrenty and could actually make your car rust sooner by trapping water by plugging up hidden drains.
4. Advertizing fee, Some dealers and even charging a additional fee for the advertizing they do...
5. Documentation Fees, usually they charge to get your tags and for filling out the paperwork... sometimes you can talk then out of it, you should at least be able to have them reduce it by half...

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yep, my dealer says he will charge me $399.00 document fee over and above tag/title charges but CAN'T tell me what it's for.
And...the Charlotte NC radius 5 dealership group is making up their mind what MANDATORY dealer upgrades they will ALL be adding to the custom ordered SKY's. I told him I will refuse anything they try to add to the car. They basically said tough. They plan to add the $400 Environment scotchguard for sure. I'm not sure what I'll do when called to place my actual order. Walk or sign????

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sunny Ragtop said:
Yep, my dealer says he will charge me $399.00 document fee over and above tag/title charges but CAN'T tell me what it's for.
And...the Charlotte NC radius 5 dealership group is making up their mind what MANDATORY dealer upgrades they will ALL be adding to the custom ordered SKY's. I told him I will refuse anything they try to add to the car. They basically said tough. They plan to add the $400 Environment scotchguard for sure. I'm not sure what I'll do when called to place my actual order. Walk or sign????
how bad do you want it? I would say walk, but i have already got a deal for mine at MSRP...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
how bad do you want it? I would say walk, but i have already got a deal for mine at MSRP...
It boils down to how much you want it and willing to pay for it. As long as you are happy, to heck with what anyone else thinks, to thine ownself be true!

ERNEST:thumbs:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Generally speaking, you can look at http://www.carbuyingtips.com for all the ways the car dealers can take advantage of you and how to avoid them. I'm not sure how well the tactics on that page will help you for the Sky, since it will be a seller's market.

- Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sunny Ragtop said:
I too am buying my car from one of these Charlotte dealerships. They basically told me the same thing about the dealer added upgrades. I did, however, talk them out of adding on the pinstripe. They were still going to add on the scotchguard and mudflaps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts