Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
who cares? make one for the sky, i'll be all over it ;) lol... although, this may make pontiac/saturn jump in the game to compete, which would be good :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
It'll never happen in the current design is my opinion. Not enough trunk space to handle the added size and equipment needed for it to work properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
brentil said:
It'll never happen in the current design is my opinion. Not enough trunk space to handle the added size and equipment needed for it to work properly.
I imagine that if this were to become a reality there would have to be a re-design of the fuel tank to better fit the need. Ofcourse with that would come a premium, however, they are also paying a premium for the option on the miata..


Maybe add it to the options list of the GTP/Redline, you are already picking up the price, and the added weight would require added power to lug around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
sky_vue said:
I imagine that if this were to become a reality there would have to be a re-design of the fuel tank to better fit the need. Ofcourse with that would come a premium, however, they are also paying a premium for the option on the miata..


Maybe add it to the options list of the GTP/Redline, you are already picking up the price, and the added weight would require added power to lug around.
Agreed, the price would be affected and it would be added in to the uplevel version of the car.

The rear tank is being redeveloped now. The new version is suppose to reduce the height by 4 inches!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Weight a problem

While a folding hardtop would be nice, it would adversly effect the delicate 50/50 weight distribution. It would add over all weight for mechanism and hydrolics and what little trunk space there is now, would be gone. The current engine would be too underpowered for the car's extra weight. I can't see that happening without some major engineering changes, but it would be nice. I'm sure it would add several $ thou $ to the price as well. Right now I would settle for a power top.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
I've seen pics of the Solstice with a hard top. Looked good. But it would make the trunk useless. Would be just for show. A folding hard top would be kool though. Perhaps in a couple of years. I agree that they would have to do something with the trunk space and the placement of the gas tank.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
skyfan said:
While a folding hardtop would be nice, it would adversly effect the delicate 50/50 weight distribution. It would add over all weight for mechanism and hydrolics and what little trunk space there is now, would be gone. The current engine would be too underpowered for the car's extra weight. I can't see that happening without some major engineering changes, but it would be nice. I'm sure it would add several $ thou $ to the price as well. Right now I would settle for a power top.
Actually while up it wouldn't effect front to rear distribution that much, but the top to bottom weight distribution. Then when it's down it would actually help the car reach a better weight distribution because the Kappa cars are in reality 52/48 not 50/50. GM has always said "near 50/50" and never said it was exactly 50/50.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top