Saturn Sky Forum banner

A glimse at the sky roadster

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  svdwoodsz 
#1 ·
Not sure if it's been posted before but I don't think it has been.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nope, I haven't seen 'em yet. Thanks. Wish they'd made the back a little more different from the Solstice. I'm sure the front will look like the Opel shots we've seen, but the back looks too much like the Solstice. It gives the impression of badge engineering, which it probably is. Oh well.

#5 ·
AeroDave said:
Nope, I haven't seen 'em yet. Thanks. Wish they'd made the back a little more different from the Solstice. I'm sure the front will look like the Opel shots we've seen, but the back looks too much like the Solstice. It gives the impression of badge engineering, which it probably is. Oh well.
If the exhaust and rear diffuser look like the ones from some of the spy shots then you'll get a really nice differentiation from the Solstice. The back end of the spy Sky shots are probably what get me most excited about this car.

#7 ·
Definately looks like a Solstice with a different nose. Overall I like it, not crazy about the black/red interior but several other roadsters have done that so it's in style. It's funny we speculated that Sky would be little more upscale, more of a luxury ride but the styling of the exterior and the red/black interior give it a more sporty, aggressive look. Strange, in some ways it almost seems that the Sky would have been a better as Pontiac (excitement, performance) and the Solstice a Saturn (upscale, simple, refined). Of course that's just based on the looks.

#13 ·
gmmerc5 said:
One of the Autoweek.com reader (I believe he is working at the GM Fairfax plant that will build this new Saturn Aura) posted on the message's board that there will be a Red Line SKY in the future :yesnod.
How much of a future? The Sky is not due for another year(1st qtr 2006). So that more than likely means you won't get a Red Line until 2007. I for one am not going to wait 2 years to get the high output motor when I can go get one right now in the ION/Cobalt (205hp underrated by the way). Why can GM offer a SC'd ECOTEC in the first year of the Cobalt but not in the Solstice or Sky? This is really starting to make me mad. The more and more I think about it it's starting to look like I'm going to get a Cobalt SS and be done with it.

Fred

#14 ·
brentil said:
Yeah, where are you getting 140 HP from? Because the official Saturn Sky media even says 170HP. Allbeit our Torque has dropped from 170 ft-lb to 162 ft-lb :(
I have seen some media sources indicate it was a 140 HP engine, even though the official GM press release for the Sky shows 170! It looks like another media screwup! :cuss

Here is a USA today article for example. It quotes the HP as 140. :nonod Otherwise its got some good info on the Sky and other future products.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-01-06-saturn-usat_x.htm

#15 ·
fred96ws6 said:
How much of a future? The Sky is not due for another year(1st qtr 2006). So that more than likely means you won't get a Red Line until 2007. I for one am not going to wait 2 years to get the high output motor when I can go get one right now in the ION/Cobalt (205hp underrated by the way). Why can GM offer a SC'd ECOTEC in the first year of the Cobalt but in the Solstice or Sky? This is really starting to make me mad. The more and more I think about it it's starting to look like I'm going to get a Cobalt SS and be done with it.
More then likely the reason we're not getting a RL or GXP version of these cars year one is because they're doing something else besides the Supercharged 2.0L ECOTEC (which we've talked about before). We're more then likely expecting a Supercharged or Turbocharged 2.2L ECOTEC VVT engine.

#16 ·
Another reason we won't see the Red Line Sky the first year is because there's already anticipation & hype for the Sky itself, what with it being an exciting new model. By delaying the high performance Red Line a year or two they can extend/elevate the attention this car gets for several years (same obviously goes for Solstice). They'd almost be shooting themselves in the foot if they released everything all at once and didn't leave any room to make meaningful & significant updates.

#17 ·
fred96ws6 said:
How much of a future? The Sky is not due for another year(1st qtr 2006). So that more than likely means you won't get a Red Line until 2007. I for one am not going to wait 2 years to get the high output motor when I can go get one right now in the ION/Cobalt (205hp underrated by the way). Why can GM offer a SC'd ECOTEC in the first year of the Cobalt but not in the Solstice or Sky? This is really starting to make me mad. The more and more I think about it it's starting to look like I'm going to get a Cobalt SS and be done with it.

Fred
I agree with Brentil that it could be a sign that GM is doing a different engine than the 2.0L S/C for the Kappa cars. Possibly the rumored turbocharged version of the 2.4L VVT motor!

There is also another reason. If GM figures it can sell all its first year roadsters with the base engine, it could decide to hold off on a higher output engine a year or two, and then add it to reinvigorate sales in the middle of the models run. Its one way to keep an aging design fresh, add more power under the hood!

One other reason could be availability issues with the S/C motor. Now, I do not know what their current capacity is, but I do know those motors are imported from Germany. With production of the Cobalt SS just beginning, GM will be importing a lot more S/C motors as it is. Maybe they figure to reach their capacity for the motor for this year between Ion Redline and Cobalt SS cars, and won't have enough left over to add to Solstices right away.

One other aspect is configuration. The current S/C motor is a FWD motor, and would have to be reconfigured for use in a RWD vehicle. There are new parts, mounts, etc that would have to be engineered for the conversion. Often there is differences in starter location and other bits and pieces too between FWD and RWD versions of engines. Maybe they don't have a RWD version ready to go yet.

Those are all just some possible reasons. I really think the real reason is they figure to add a higher output motor down the road to keep the car selling.

#19 ·
fred96ws6 said:

Fred
He didn't say how long, I know it is very frustrating to want something and knowing it is coming but just not quick enough.

If GM is offering the SC engine for the Cobalt in the their first year, the reason they do that was simply because the competition have the higher output available, I know what the S2000; the Z4 and the Boxter have, but these 3 are not in the same price range as the Solstice/SKY are, however the MX5 is brand new and is in the same price range, and if it does offer the hotter engine, then the wait may not be too long for GM to offer the SC/Turbo engines for the Kappa cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.