Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted this over at the Solstice forum. I thought I would share it here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, even if it's a Redline it works the same. Doesn't it?

Anyway, I picked up a Redline in St. Louis on Thursday. No, not the one I ordered here in KC. I had to pay the $1000 base price increase, but I have been #4 since I ordered it in June. Oh well. See, GXP's ARE like Redlines!!

I have the chance to drive it around some since trailering it back from St. Louis. Can you say TORQUE? Wow.

1) This little engine is smooth, responsive, and very quiet. With little exhaust noise, no vibration, and very smooth operation this thing will be a ticket magnet!!
2) After you get used to the Mosoon radio with XM it is GREAT.
3) The glove box is nearly as useless as the trunk. (What? It has a TRUNK?)
4) The top goes up and down pretty damn easy.
5) Buy an install some Fiamm electric horns. The factory hooter SUCKS.
6) Very little flywheel effect. This makes managing getting going, shifting, and smooth operation a bit of a challenge. Shifting? Five speeds is all you need. Fifth is truly an overdrive. I am already shifting 1-3-4. Yup - torque will 'set you free". Want to haul ass? Plan on shifting quickly. And when you hit third it is HAPPY time.
7) This is an amazingly composed car. In fifth 80 is loafing. Beware, it has two personalities. It will do MORE than you ask it to do, and THAT could be trouble.
8) Based on what this car is like, Z06's should NOT be available to the general public, just as Iran and N. Korea should not have nukes!!
9) It needs more gauges. The boost on the DIC is SO late to report as to be useless.
10) The engine will NOT rev past 6300. The limiter kicks in. But it pulls all the way to 6300. There is no real discernible power band. The last time I had that sensation was 12 years ago in a 93 Viper.
11) Complaints - some of the ergonomics are great, but the guy who came up with the power window switches must have had extra fingers on his elbows. NO meaningful storage. No power door locks on the one I bought. Ick. Wholesale blind spots. REAL fun backing out of anywhere! I wish the instrument cluster was lit all of the time.
12) Complements - does what it's supposed to do. This is a neat ride. Brake feel is firm and linear. Why are people bitching about the manual. It shifts really nicely. Firm, direct, positive. You must use most of the clutch travel to avoid "ah****z". Reverse can be a challenge; down to the right is odd for me, and can take a couple tries. SOLID as a rock. No cowl shake so far. With 1500 miles there are no squeaks, rattles, or odd noises. (It's a 1300 mile demo.) sound system is very nice. XM radio is fantastic. Seat are real nice and the interior (once you flop down IN it) is actually roomy. The Redline already has the premium headliner in it and the loudest sound other than the radio is the tires at 80 mph. Impressive.
13) Yes, the turbo engine has some fuel delivery noises when it's cold. Normal stuff. If you do a bad job of getting going there are noises coming from under the car. My guess is that it's the exhaust system flapping around. Do the same to anything else and it will sound ugly, too. Screw up the stopping procedure and the car might make a clunk-itty-cluck. Slap around a Mustang or a GM F-body car and they'll feel like the sheet metal is going bust it's welds. Driven properly this car is a hoot. I was afraid it was going to be a sterile American sports car with a zingy engine. NOT. This car has personality.
14) My differential was leak free when I picked it up. I thought I should add that in!
15) I need to go bang this thing around some to get a feel for the traction control, stabilitrac, and vehicle dynamics. Next Sunday I am going to slap the Hoosier A6s on it and trailer it to an autocross.
16) I have stated in other posts that cars are appliances. Well, it seems that I am going to have a hell of a lot of fun in my new toaster/over! The PermaGrin is setting in.

I am sure that I have missed some things. I don't want GM to build too many of these things. Not everybody should be entitled to have this kind of fun. Wait until I show up at the Saturn shop where I originally ordered a Redline. They know I have this thing and wanted me to stop by with it because they haven't seen one yet. Because I am an assh%*e I AM going to let them drive it!! No, I am going to let them drive it because they have been patient with me, and when other customers are complaining that they are waiting they'll be able to truthfully say ----

It IS worth waiting for.

And it is. If any of you (at any age) are near a race track that offers a performance driving school - TAKE IT with your Sky or Sol, whichever version. I have done that in the past. You'll learn a lot, and having a TRUE sports car under you will be even MORE meaningful.

HTH.

p.s. MomSol wanted to here about the car. How's that, Mom?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I would agree with you on most every point made. Very nice evaluation of the car. I have only driven mine for about an hour so far (its back in the shop getting fixed) but the WOW factor is amazing. This car really handles great and the go go go power is fantastic!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm just curious for those of you who've had your manual RL in stop and go traffic, because of the short shifts between 1-2-3, is driving the Sky more of a pain than other manuals?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just curious for those of you who've had your manual RL in stop and go traffic, because of the short shifts between 1-2-3, is driving the Sky more of a pain than other manuals?
No. Just skip a gear. There is so much torque that it works out fine. Just shift 1-2-4 or 1-3-4. Doesn't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hi ShowGal --- In Chicago traffic 1-3-4 is all that is needed.... I have been in it!
Much prefer teh suburban version... :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts