Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I went to the website for the dealership I have my Sky on order from. While there I checked their dealership inventory and saw that they had three Skys listed on their inventory. My first thought was that even though my Sky has had a down payment since December that the dealership used their first allotments of the Sky for their dealer stock and not for those who placed orders. So I sent my sales person an e-mail asking him if the dealership, did in fact, do that. I get home from work and there is a message on my machine telling me that those cars listed on their website are placed there once the order has been accepted and that they did not physically have the cars available at that time. OK, I can buy that.... then he proceeds to tell me that they made a mistake and ordered me a silver graphite and not the silver pearl I wanted by mistake. He then goes on to tell me that if I would like the one I test drove six weeks ago I could have that one. The problem I have is that this same sales person told me how some of those who test drove that Sky dogged it somewhat to show off their great driving abilities. Now I don't abuse a car EVER! I want what I ordered and will settle for nothing less. Even though the demo they have is exactly what I ordered I don't want to take a chance on a car that has been abused the way he described to me. I've been waiting so long and have never changed my mind on the color I wanted. You could say I've been a pain in the butt when it comes to calling once a week to check on things. If I hadn't sent that e-mail about their dealer stock I would have never found out about the color of my order being incorrect. I'm tired of waiting and don't want nothing less than what I ordered. Perhaps it just wasn't to be for me. I've done everything right and have always been polite in my dealing with them. Sure, everyone can make a mistake but this takes the cake. I will wait till I settle down a little before calling the dealership back but to be honest it wouldn't take much for me to go and get my deposit back right now and break my heart in the process.:confused:
Jayne

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Jayne said:
Last night I went to the website for the dealership I have my Sky on order from. While there I checked their dealership inventory and saw that they had three Skys listed on their inventory. My first thought was that even though my Sky has had a down payment since December that the dealership used their first allotments of the Sky for their dealer stock and not for those who placed orders. So I sent my sales person an e-mail asking him if the dealership, did in fact, do that. I get home from work and there is a message on my machine telling me that those cars listed on their website are placed there once the order has been accepted and that they did not physically have the cars available at that time. OK, I can buy that.... then he proceeds to tell me that they made a mistake and ordered me a silver graphite and not the silver pearl I wanted by mistake. He then goes on to tell me that if I would like the one I test drove six weeks ago I could have that one. The problem I have is that this same sales person told me how some of those who test drove that Sky dogged it somewhat to show off their great driving abilities. Now I don't abuse a car EVER! I want what I ordered and will settle for nothing less. Even though the demo they have is exactly what I ordered I don't want to take a chance on a car that has been abused the way he described to me. I've been waiting so long and have never changed my mind on the color I wanted. You could say I've been a pain in the butt when it comes to calling once a week to check on things. If I hadn't sent that e-mail about their dealer stock I would have never found out about the color of my order being incorrect. I'm tired of waiting and don't want nothing less than what I ordered. Perhaps it just wasn't to be for me. I've done everything right and have always been polite in my dealing with them. Sure, everyone can make a mistake but this takes the cake. I will wait till I settle down a little before calling the dealership back but to be honest it wouldn't take much for me to go and get my deposit back right now and break my heart in the process.:confused:
Jayne
How many miles has the Demo got on it, and tell them to throw in a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warrenty and you will consider it...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You have to do what you have to do. I don't think I'd take a different car than what I wanted ordered. I also wouldn't want a vehicle that's been test driven a lot especially if it wasn't the exact one I wanted anyway.

Can you just make sure your car is the NEXT one ordered? Will that satisfy you?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
How many miles has the Demo got on it, and tell them to throw in a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warrenty and you will consider it...
Didn't we have this discussion on another thread? You don't really have any negotiating leverage here. They will sell the Sky to someone without throwing in anything extra or giving any discounts. They are just offering it to her first.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your problem...I have a great salesman at Saturn and he has provided me with a printout of every step so I could check the order and the progress, If all dealerships did this for there customers there would not be mistakes....but this car in any color is fantastic...Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
SKYtime said:
Didn't we have this discussion on another thread? You don't really have any negotiating leverage here. They will sell the Sky to someone without throwing in anything extra or giving any discounts. They are just offering it to her first.
ya, but this is different... they screwed up her order. Seems to me if saturn was to uphold the reputation they've built, they should give her something for her trouble and for getting screwed over because someone put in the wrong color code on her image.

the other thread, noone was at fault... I think the guy just wanted a sky today and not have to wait.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Actually, early firm engine break-in may mean more power and less oil consumption...

The suggestion to get the dealership to spring for the warranty is a good one. That will make certain that any issues that do arise later are just taken care of.

Warning! The following post will be somewhat controversial!

The engine break-in that this test drive Sky has been getting is exactly what you need:
Break In Secrets--How To Break in New Motorcycle and Car Engines for More Power: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Here are the points to consider:
  1. It may not be possible to change your order to the color and options you want.
  2. If you change your order, you may be looking at a much longer time to get your Sky.
  3. The "abuse" will NOT have been bad since there will have been a salesman in the car with the test driver. (It won't have been doing off road/off track excursions)
  4. The "abuse" or hard utilization of the engine in the first 20 to 200 miles is EXACTLY what you need for proper break-in (see link above).
  5. The test drive car that the dealer has is exactly the car you ordered (at least that's what your post said.)
To make this your car, and continue on the rigorous break-in:
  • go buy the car
  • have them change the oil and filter immediately (should change within the first 20 miles--DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC!!)
  • then go out and romp about with it yourself.
  • change the oil AND FILTER at about 200 miles. (STILL NO SYNTHETIC!)
  • keep after it and don't baby it for the next 500 miles
  • Change the oil and filter again at 700 miles (still no synthetic)
  • drive it aggressively for the next 800 miles
  • At 1500 miles, change the oil to synthetic and change the filter
  • enjoy cruising more slowly after that switch to synthetic
You'll have a great car, with a bit extra power, and almost ZERO oil consumption.

This rigorous break-in might sound like the antithesis of what you should do, but opinions vary. Were the decision mine, I'd buy the demo and get the following advantages:
  • I'd be getting exactly what I ordered (color and options).
  • I'd have the car earlier than I expected.
  • I'd have some of the break-in work done for me.
I just know this will stir up a bunch of controversy and differing opinions, but you have a rare opportunity in my opinion.

Best of luck. I'm sure that if you work with the dealer, they will help you get what you want. If not, try a different dealer. Either way, try to remember that while it is disappointing, once you're out driving the machine around, all of these initial delivery concerns will be just so much wind in your hair.

For myself, I can directly relate, I had ordered polished wheels, and then later, when the floor mats became available, I changed my order to add the floor mats. Unfortunately, a wrong mouse click deleted the polished wheels off of my order... A 4 x $575 mistake ($2300 cost to buy a set of polished wheels, instead of just a $495 option.... OUCH!)

I was pretty disappointed, but as I drove my car, within about a week, I was having such a great time that I all but completely forgot about the wheels. Later (about 2 months later) I found a fellow selling his wheels for about $700 for the set, and now I've got my wheels too. But really, the original painted wheels were fine.

The point is that your order may not have gone exactly perfectly, but you may find that once you've got that top down, it just won't matter as much.

Again, best of luck, and I'm sorry your order wasn't put in exactly the way you wanted it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Jayne. Even though you or I would test drive a new car showing some respect because of the low miles on it, some people don't think the way we do and will dog a car any chance they get. Thats why these cars that have been test driven in my opinion shouldnt be taken without some kind of a special warranty. I think you should wait for the "new" car you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
The suggestion to get the dealership to spring for the warranty is a good one. That will make certain that any issues that do arise later are just taken care of.

Warning! The following post will be somewhat controversial!

The engine break-in that this test drive Sky has been getting is exactly what you need:
Break In Secrets--How To Break in New Motorcycle and Car Engines for More Power: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Here are the points to consider:
  1. It may not be possible to change your order to the color and options you want.
  2. If you change your order, you may be looking at a much longer time to get your Sky.
  3. The "abuse" will NOT have been bad since there will have been a salesman in the car with the test driver. (It won't have been doing off road/off track excursions)
  4. The "abuse" or hard utilization of the engine in the first 20 to 200 miles is EXACTLY what you need for proper break-in (see link above).
  5. The test drive car that the dealer has is exactly the car you ordered (at least that's what your post said.)
To make this your car, and continue on the rigorous break-in:
  • go buy the car
  • have them change the oil and filter immediately (should change within the first 20 miles--DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC!!)
  • then go out and romp about with it yourself.
  • change the oil AND FILTER at about 200 miles. (STILL NO SYNTHETIC!)
  • keep after it and don't baby it for the next 500 miles
  • Change the oil and filter again at 700 miles (still no synthetic)
  • drive it aggressively for the next 800 miles
  • At 1500 miles, change the oil to synthetic and change the filter
  • enjoy cruising more slowly after that switch to synthetic
You'll have a great car, with a bit extra power, and almost ZERO oil consumption.

This rigorous break-in might sound like the antithesis of what you should do, but opinions vary. Were the decision mine, I'd buy the demo and get the following advantages:
  • I'd be getting exactly what I ordered (color and options).
  • I'd have the car earlier than I expected.
  • I'd have some of the break-in work done for me.
I just know this will stir up a bunch of controversy and differing opinions, but you have a rare opportunity in my opinion.

you are right it is a controversial post, I have always followed the manufacturers recomendations and I have never had a problem with any engine i have had....sorry but it is the truth.
this subject has been beat to death......
:deadhorse

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SKYtime said:
She does have leverage, they messed up HER order, not her, they are responsible to getting her a car like she ordered in at least the same time frame as her car would have come in.... Plus if they are any kind of dealership they would OFFER it to her if she voiced a concern about it;s reliability in the future...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Baby Arrived

It 5:00 PM EST I took possession of my Silver Graphite Sky. The weather held out for me to drive my baby with the top down all the way home. As some of you stated the color looks great and I was very pleased with it. After I got home it started raining so I took some time to program the radio, install my pink crystal heart below the rear view mirror and finally apply my two pink fairies to the sides. All in all a truely wonderful day. Tomorrow I'll be heading to the MVA for personalized plates but most likely, due to the weather I will not be driving my Baby. I want to thank you all for your insites through these past months. When she goes in for her 3,000 mile oil change I will have the Saturn mud flaps installed along with the locking wheel lugs and locking gas cap. Will write more about my experiences in the near future. I did go to the cemetary to tell my best friend about my new Sky. I would have given her my Sky just to sit down with her one more time over a hot cup of coffee. I miss her that much! She would have loved the Sky as much as I do. One last note is the serial number. It is a consecutive run of numbers. My serial number ends with 2345. Now how cool is that?
Thanks again to all of you,
Jayne

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jayne said:
It 5:00 PM EST I took possession of my Silver Graphite Sky.
I did go to the cemetary to tell my best friend about my new Sky. I would have given her my Sky just to sit down with her one more time over a hot cup of coffee. I miss her that much! She would have loved the Sky as much as I do.
My serial number ends with 2345. Now how cool is that?
:angel: Wow, good for you! As for the color, I'm biased and yet confident you'll not regret this mini-detour in your quest. Can't wait to join you in ranks of Sky owner status.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
usmc said:
ya, but this is different... they screwed up her order. Seems to me if saturn was to uphold the reputation they've built, they should give her something for her trouble and for getting screwed over because someone put in the wrong color code on her image.

the other thread, noone was at fault... I think the guy just wanted a sky today and not have to wait.
Yea, that was me that they screwed up my original order. Forgot to add lsd. And yes, they did make it up to me by adding some aftermarkets at a deep discount. They did offer me the next one in which had all the options on her. Color is midnight blue, which was my 2nd choice of color, so I took delivery of her last nite. LOVE THE COLOR>>>>>:thumbs: And they told me that they called someone on the list about my 1st car, and some man is gonna take her. So it was a win win situation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New Sky

Well I now have 133 miles on her. The dealership was great about the mistake and regretful about it so when I purchased my Sky I asked them to throw in a Locking Gas Cap and Locking Lug Nuts at no cost. They agreed to that on the spot. I didn't want to ask for anything high dollar like a car cover or anything. After all, I would have taken it no matter what. People do make mistakes and to capitalize on them just isn't the right thing to do. I couldn't be happier....yes I could.....I did get sunburned today while out cruising. Glad teeth don't get sun burned because I couldn't stop smiling :) .
Jayne

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Well hubby and I got sunburned today for ya :thumbs: And I agree on not asking too much. Like I told my friends, either way they were going to sell it to someone if it wasnt me.....:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts