Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me start off with the usual new member banter...

I've lurked the site for quite sometime and have just now gotten around to registering.

It's nice here!

Anyway...

We ordered our Sky on April 1st of this year, putting down a $1000 deposit check. The check was cashed in early May (3rd or 4th... I can't remember).

Here's the problem...

Our dealer is either way out of the "know" or he is just retaining the information.

We can't get a straight answer!

Is there anyone out there with similar ordering times, or that may know anything that can help me out?

We asked for the "tracking number" but was told by the dealer that they didn't have it.

In all honesty, I know the guy is good for it. My aunt ordered one at the first of this year and got hers in a few months later -- it was hail damaged, but that's another story.

I guess all I really want to know is, can someone offer me some insight or direction? I saw a demo at a festival and it's driving me crazy that I still don't have my car!

Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
jmt said:

I've lurked the site for quite sometime and have just now gotten around to registering.

It's nice here!

Anyway...

We ordered our Sky on April 1st of this year, putting down a $1000 deposit check. The check was cashed in early May (3rd or 4th... I can't remember).

Here's the problem...

Our dealer is either way out of the "know" or he is just retaining the information.

Is there anyone out there with similar ordering times, or that may know anything that can help me out?

We asked for the "tracking number" but was told by the dealer that they didn't have it.

In all honesty, I know the guy is good for it. My aunt ordered one at the first of this year and got hers in a few months later -- it was hail damaged, but that's another story.

I guess all I really want to know is, can someone offer me some insight or direction? I saw a demo at a festival and it's driving me crazy that I still don't have my car!

Thanks.
Sometimes, ordering amd imaging get mixed up. I imaged on April 10, which means the car was entered into the GM system and the process was started. My car was built on June 14th. It should be shipped this week. You can try to make a educated guess that if you imaged on April 1 you should be ahead of me if not close, but if you just put down deposit on April 1st and the order has not be accepted or imaged yet there's no telling where you are in the process. The sales manager should be able to tell you the status of your order if I gave them $1000 2 and half month's ago I would demand to know my status. The dealer I gave $500 to on Apr 10 hasn't even cashed the check yet and keeps me informed every time something happens with my order.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
jmt said:

Thanks.
1st: Welcome to being an active member!!! :cheers:

Two: There is not a tracking number per se... there is an order number which the GM of the retailer can get once ordered.

III: The ones at the 1st of the year were all dealer demo's. So she got one of them. For some reason, I thought the hail storm was at the Spring Hill location and not the factory in Delaware.

D: I ordered mine a week after yours, and am still waiting as well. I will be checking tomorrow to see if I am at 3800 or still at 3400. Someone that imaged a week before you went 3800 last week.

•: What color and options are you getting???

§: Keep your mind off your's by taking out your aunts. :thumbs:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome! And I would just add a suggestion to make yourself known to your salesperson and at the dealership. Let them see your face and know your name - Just in a friendly, 'remember me' manner. Initially I visited every week when there was a sky in the showroom and emailed every other week.

And let them know that you are on this forum and that you KNOW the car. Soon they will be coming to you with questions!!

That is the advice I got from this forum, and I must admit that so far it's been solid advice! (No car in driveway yet but it's too early)
Carlie

·
Registered
482 Posts
Remember this is not an exact science. As soom as you think you have it figured out OZ (GM) will change the game plan, but don"t stop trying that is just part of the wait .......and welcome to the wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
III: The ones at the 1st of the year were all dealer demo's. So she got one of them. For some reason, I thought the hail storm was at the Spring Hill location and not the factory in Delaware.

§: Keep your mind off your's by taking out your aunts.
The hail storm happened in West Memphis, AR as the cars were being stored in a train yard, waiting for pick-up.

My aunt's sky was damaged pretty badly and she opted not to accept it. The dealer re-ordered her another one, but it hasn't come in yet.

Her sky is now being used as a demo along with other that was in the same group (the one I saw at the festival).

•: What color and options are you getting???
Chili Pepper Red
Black Top
Black Leather
Limited Slip
Manual Tranny
XM Radio

We wanted the chrome wheels but were told the option was no longer available. :banghead:

·
Registered
192 Posts
In real estate it's all LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
In Solstice or Sky buying it's all ALLOCATION, ALLOCATION, ALLOCATION.

The big answer to your original question is it all comes down to "allocations".
Any dealer can take an order and it will just lay in the system until they receive an allocation to fill an order. How many allocations that any given dealer will receive is based on their status within GM. You have to confront them about this. Ask point blank do you have or are you going to get an allocation to fill my order. You also need to know if there are others in front of you that will get what ever allocations are coming up. If they can't or won't answer these questions then it is time to get your deposit back and move on to a dealer that will give you a straight answer.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
jmt said:

It's nice here!

Anyway...

Here's the problem...

Thanks.
I hate to burst everyones bubble here, but imiaging date, ordering date and even the build date times car vary widely... i was third at my dealership to Image, but mine was the first to come in, the guy that was first on the list was the 4th ot get his... Why? because of the options he ordered compared to others... Just because two cars were imaged on the same day does not mean they will be built the same day, also two cars built the same day may be weeks apart arriving at their final destination... just facts in the car building business...
The best thing to do is sit back, and contact your dealership and ask if they have heard anything, do this every week or two, and when you car comes in you will be very happy....
there really is no rhyme or reason to it, don't driver yourself crazy because so and so ordered his car after me and already has it... it just does not work on a first come first serve basis.....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I hate to burst everyones bubble here, but imiaging date, ordering date and even the build date times car vary widely... i was third at my dealership to Image, but mine was the first to come in, the guy that was first on the list was the 4th ot get his... Why? because of the options he ordered compared to others... Just because two cars were imaged on the same day does not mean they will be built the same day, also two cars built the same day may be weeks apart arriving at their final destination... just facts in the car building business...
The best thing to do is sit back, and contact your dealership and ask if they have heard anything, do this every week or two, and when you car comes in you will be very happy....
there really is no rhyme or reason to it, don't driver yourself crazy because so and so ordered his car after me and already has it... it just does not work on a first come first serve basis.....

:agree: That is it... the options ordered and if there are any restrictions at the time of ordering......... WELCOME TO OUR LITTLE GROUP...... you will be comfortable here if you can learn how to... GO NUTS on a daily basis... just FIND A GREAT HOBBY TO KEEP YOU BUSY.... well, actually, the forum is a great distraction... as you , i am sure, have read on posts in the past, we all get a bit anxious and ready to give up at times... but.. THE WAIT IS WELL WORTH IT...trust me... 6000 miles on my baby since APRIL 21.... and... i am loving every one of them... ENJOY AND AGAIN.... WELCOME...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Devoking said:
In real estate it's all LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
In Solstice or Sky buying it's all ALLOCATION, ALLOCATION, ALLOCATION.

The big answer to your original question is it all comes down to "allocations".
Any dealer can take an order and it will just lay in the system until they receive an allocation to fill an order. How many allocations that any given dealer will receive is based on their status within GM. You have to confront them about this. Ask point blank do you have or are you going to get an allocation to fill my order. You also need to know if there are others in front of you that will get what ever allocations are coming up. If they can't or won't answer these questions then it is time to get your deposit back and move on to a dealer that will give you a straight answer.
We did this. Another dealer tried to screw us over, but I had that much information from this forum.

His allocation has filled up for the year, but we got our order in well before it happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SkyMan 07 said:
I was never looking for an exact answer to when the car would come in. I mean, I realize there is some variation.

I just wanted to know who had ordered theirs around the same time and to see how far along they were so that I could ballpark mine.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
jmt said:
I was never looking for an exact answer to when the car would come in. I mean, I realize there is some variation.

I just wanted to know who had ordered theirs around the same time and to see how far along they were so that I could ballpark mine.
Like i said though it could be months of difference, in orders... it does not matter when you ordered, Did you actually order it? did he tell you it was in the system and have a order number for you, if not then he probably just entered it into their system and you are in line to have one ordered... you need to ask if yours was imaged and if not how far down the image list are you and when do you expect it to be imaged....... there are too many things that can happen to delay one order from another to even come close to guessing.. that was the point I was trying to make.. you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out if you are not carefull...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts