Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting 2 & 2 together from other threads and information, had me thinking...

"Once they figure out the Turbo issue, do we see a blast of all RLs coming out of Delaware for a few weeks to catch up?"

It sounds like there is a target number for the sky, and a percentage of RLs.... With RLs down theyve been making a higher rate of base skies...

Beyond thier own counts, consider commitments to other vendors making RL specific parts.

So when the RLs come back on line, if they play catch-up with RLs, all will ber right again in the Kappa world and I am driving my car in November?

Is it just a dream??

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
:cheers: I'll drink to that!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Putting 2 & 2 together from other threads and information, had me thinking...

"Once they figure out the Turbo issue, do we see a blast of all RLs coming out of Delaware for a few weeks to catch up?"

It sounds like there is a target number for the sky, and a percentage of RLs.... With RLs down theyve been making a higher rate of base skies...

Beyond thier own counts, consider commitments to other vendors making RL specific parts.

So when the RLs come back on line, if they play catch-up with RLs, all will ber right again in the Kappa world and I am driving my car in November?

Is it just a dream??

Your dream is shortly gonna become a reality, the flood gates will open again soon. Just realize that they have some built more than likely that are being
bayed somewhere in the plant and once the fix is implemented those sould head out immediately. Mayhem was like that. So hang on to your dreams:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've convinced myself...

After thinking this through while driving to work... I've convinced myself that there will be a blast o' RLs after the turbo issues are resolved. If not someone needs to show this logic below to the folks in WIlmington.

Redline is a more expensive car. Higher sell price, equals higher profits. Now in the big picture of GM its not much... but to many others directly involved with the car (Wilmington), getting those RLs cranking again in good numbers is very beneficial.

Examples...
Somewhere in Delaware is a Production Manager who has quotas to meet for both cars, probably tied to an end of year bonus.

Somewhere in Delaware is a General Manager /bean counter, wanting to maximize profit for the facility, probably tied to an end of year bonus.

Somewhere in Delaware is a Union Chief, wanting to mazimize profit for the facility, so that work remains in Delaware for kappa and future cars.

Somewhere in Michigan are designers, executives, engineers who want the RL back on track and forgotten, so that they dont have read articles next year saying "Coming off its initial year of slow production due to ongoing turbo problems, for 2008 the sky RL...."

Many more examples I could toss out there... But the bottom line is... to maximize profits, guarantee ongoing work, and to minimize impact with the public... the majority of the cars coming out of Wilmington after the fix have to be RLs to catch up to make everything ok with the world.

If that means I get my RL sooner, or closer to when I originnaly thought... then so be it. Its a sacrifice I am willing to make in order to make the thousands of people working on this car for GM happy. Its my christmas present to them. :D

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Plant managers don't drive production quotas. They build to the quotas that the manufacturer dictates. Assuming total production of ~10K units at a 60/40 split that means that there will be ~6K base and ~4K turbo units. If the Redlines are stopped for a period of time then their production numbers will be made up by adjusting the build rate over time. IF there are more Redlines ordered than non-turbos, GM and Saturn will have to decide what to do about the mix.

One of the reasons for the low production numbers centers on NOT having a "Fiero" story of massive unsold units laying around. Another is that the Wilmington plant apparently can only produce 40K Kappas on that line, which is now at its limit. So, we have what we have. :banghead:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you think it is feasible for some braintrusts in GM to look at the orders in the system and adjust the allocation percentage accordingly? With the release of the redline and all of the accolades it has received I would think that there are probably more redline orders pending than base orders at this time or that many that have ordered the base have gone in and switched over. I don't think it would be that difficult to produce more RLs than originally planned unless they can't get enough of the RL components.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plant managers don't drive production quotas. They build to the quotas that the manufacturer dictates. Assuming total production of ~10K units at a 60/40 split that means that there will be ~6K base and ~4K turbo units. If the Redlines are stopped for a period of time then their production numbers will be made up by adjusting the build rate over time. IF there are more Redlines ordered than non-turbos, GM and Saturn will have to decide what to do about the mix.

I think we are mostly saying the same thing... There is a quota set for Prod Managers, the turbo probs put them behind in RedLines, and the Prod Managers have to change allocation to meet the quota.

The one difference is you say.. "their production numbers will be made up by adjusting the build rate over time"... and I am pitching for the "lets just go crazy building redlines for a few weeks to get caught up" :cool:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ya know.. if anyone in Wilmington plant is reading this... I'll continue my selfless acts by mentioning I live less than 40 miles away from the plant, and if they bumped my order WAAAY up in line (as in NEXT) for when they start making RLs again, I will gladly work with the Wilmington engineers to make sure all is good... provide feedback, stop down to the plant every week or so for a few months. Whatever it takes to be a team player... Ya really need someone like myself who is close to the plant to be able to provide this level of instant feedback.

No need to applaud or stand up... again, its the least I can do...a sacrifice i am willing to make to support a :patriot: Great American Car Corporation. :patriot:

Just send me an Private Message, and I'll give you my contact information. :)

·
Premium Member
921 Posts

One of the reasons for the low production numbers centers on NOT having a "Fiero" story of massive unsold units laying around. Another is that the Wilmington plant apparently can only produce 40K Kappas on that line, which is now at its limit. So, we have what we have. :banghead:
:agree::agree:

The one problem I see is that so many Saturn Dealers do not place their orders into the system until they actually have an allocation, which means GM has no clue what the true orders wanted mix really is because all they ever see is what they put out for allocations

:banghead: :banghead:

Oh well I guess I'll just go back to my seat in Saturn Sky waiting lounge :)

Has anyone else noticed the lounge might be a tad more comfortable if they served beer instead of coffee :cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
delivery

I placed an order in early july. I went to see the dealer today. I was #8 redline on their list. They told me to check again in Dec dont plan on delivery until probably May. Kind of reminds me of my Capri turbo TRX. Took 5 months to get it.
I travel rte 95 during the week. I cant tell you how many carriers I have passed carrying a boat load of skys headed south. I give a sigh each time.

·
Registered
684 Posts

The one problem I see is that so many Saturn Dealers do not place their orders into the system until they actually have an allocation, which means GM has no clue what the true orders wanted mix really is because all they ever see is what they put out for allocations

Has anyone else noticed the lounge might be a tad more comfortable if they served beer instead of coffee :cheers: :lol:
:agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
141 Posts
...If that means I get my RL sooner, or closer to when I originnaly thought... then so be it. Its a sacrifice I am willing to make in order to make the thousands of people working on this car for GM happy. Its my christmas present to them. :D
I think that's the most unselfish thing I've ever heard. Makes me want to be a better person! sniff sniff
:cryin:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your dream is shortly gonna become a reality, the flood gates will open again soon. Just realize that they have some built more than likely that are being
bayed somewhere in the plant and once the fix is implemented those sould head out immediately. Mayhem was like that. So hang on to your dreams:thumbs:
anyone that had a #3000, will probably get sent to 3400. A 10-2-06 is the startup for production. They will not flood the orders to catch up though. It will more than likely go as it has been. There is also a 10-24-06 TPW for the next RLs.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

======================================================

Rustyknight is correct!

GM should slap them on the back of the head and tell them to submit deposited orders and NOT wait for a allocation message.
Not only is the customer NOT PRICE PROTECTED ,.... but GM has no way of knowing how many orders are really in this waiting room.
:willy:

·
Registered
364 Posts
anyone that had a #3000, will probably get sent to 3400. A 10-2-06 is the startup for production. They will not flood the orders to catch up though. It will more than likely go as it has been. There is also a 10-24-06 TPW for the next RLs.
Ahhhhhhh.... call me stupid but what is a TPW? Please don't tell me it's something that stops production........ again.......

HoldHard

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Ahhhhhhh.... call me stupid but what is a TPW? Please don't tell me it's something that stops production........ again.......

HoldHard
TPW stands for something silly like "Target Production Week" :)

I say we replace the worn coffe table in the Saturn Sky Lounge with a keg cover by a table cloth.........the wait won't go any faster, but we might not notice how long it is taking.....:eek:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Start up of production I was told is 10/9/06 from a very reliable source.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Maybe they don't submit orders

Because they have so many multiple deposit orders(meaning people putting in orders at multiple dealers). They want to give the delivered car to a person that ordered this color these options. So many drop out because they got there car somewhere else, they went to another car, they never had the ability to buy in the first place.
Then the dealer has to ask someone to compromise and take what they ordered for someone else.
Just a thought

·
Registered
653 Posts
I honestly would not be surprised at all to see the plant go close to 100% RL production for the next few weeks. Especially since the week right before they stopped production they were at almost 100% RL production. That and I would think most people who are on waiting lists right now, or who put money down early this year and still haven't got a car, is because they're waiting for a RL. Most people in line waiting for a n/a SKY now, probably didn't even put their deposits down until July or later.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I honestly would not be surprised at all to see the plant go close to 100% RL production for the next few weeks.

oooh... lets hope so... lets hope so...

If this were true... wouldnt there be a lot of statuses changing soon?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts