Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about the sky's roof leaking when it rains or going through a car wash(not that I would, I plan to hand wash), but it rains quite a bit in the Sunshine State and I don't like the idea of leaks in my interior!! /Is it maybe the knuckleheads in the articles don't close the top properly, or is this a problem with rag tops?? Please put my mind at ease!!
Future Sky owner (someday before I retire!!)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Mine does not leak. Once when I washed it I had water splashed in the passenger seat. The right side window was not all the way up. Some dummy (me) left it slightly cracked. I live on the east shore of Mobile Bay so we have the afternoon thunderstorms every day this time of year. I know some people go through car washes but the manual does not recomend it and I would not do it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
There have been occasional reports of leaking tops on Solsticeforum, but nothing that is really widespread. The problems also seem more persistant on earlier VIN number cars, so GM has probably improved weather sealing since the beginning. I wouldn't worry too much about leaks. Even if a drop or two sneaks in during a trip through the car wash, you shouldn't run into any gushers! :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
I live down the road from you so i get the same rain...no leaks from anything..also i put the raggtop sealer on the roof..works like thompson water seal on the top

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There have been occasional reports of leaking tops on Solsticeforum, but nothing that is really widespread. The problems also seem more persistant on earlier VIN number cars, so GM has probably improved weather sealing since the beginning. I wouldn't worry too much about leaks. Even if a drop or two sneaks in during a trip through the car wash, you shouldn't run into any gushers! :D
I have an early VIN Sky, no leaks!!!! #699:thumbs:

·
Registered
72 Posts
We had a leaky top for a few days... The top's bars were out of allignment, and after being in the Saturn shop for one coffee and danish later, it was fixed and watertight ...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Well...I did have a fair amount of water leak onto the shift console during an extremely heavy rain a few weeks back. The leak was right where the latch is...so that might have something to do with it. I took it to my dealer and they looked at it, but as of yet they have not determined what to do with it. So for the time being, if it looks like rain, I just place a towel over the shift console...so far it has not leaked since that one time....go figure.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Driven in hard rain and parked in hard rain -- No leaks...

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you get any leaks at all now or if you don't you probably will, as the seals age and shrink/dry out. Atleast that has been my past exp. with convertibles, T-tops, and moonroofs.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
My top does not leak!!!!!! While in Florida I took it to a full service car wash and sat in it while going thru , no leaks!!!! I told this forum that it can go thru carwashs just pick a good one...By the way all them thar Georgia bugs are off the front end.....Skip...Alabama tant got no bugs...I mean suppertime...:) :) :) Bugs be full of protein...yum yum...

·
Registered
804 Posts
No leaks and no real problems with the car.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Sometimes if you don't put the top up right it can leak. Make sure your windows are down or doors open and try to pull the top up from the middle of the top.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Going back with Saturn since 1994, one thing they have always done was designed their cars to leak...
Really!
I wanted a power moon roof in my 1994 SC2 - but had heard that they leaked. The Saturn people showed me that their designers took into account that the roof would leak, no matter what they did. So they designed a drain system. Has everyone here looked at the design of the drain system on the SKY? It is ingenious. Every spot that you can pick out at a weak spot has a drain near or at it. Yes there are and there will be leaks, but I bet for the most part many of them will go unnoticed by the driver/owners. The few that have happened have been damage/alignment type problems and seem, for the most part, to have been eliminated.
As I have said -- so far -- not one leak -- but it would not surprise me if it should happen.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
EVERY sunroof factory installed by GM, for as long as I can remember, have drains running forward down through the a-pillars. The water bags in the Kappas aren't ingenious, they are bizarre!!:confused: :willy: :crazy:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
EVERY sunroof factory installed by GM, for as long as I can remember, have drains running forward down through the a-pillars. The water bags in the Kappas aren't ingenious, they are bizarre!!:confused: :willy: :crazy:
I agree -- but the system used on Saturn was not just drains -- it went beyond. The whole way it was put together made it work. I saw plenty of GM cars of the time -- none had the system Saturn did and most leaked to teh interior.
And sure the system on the SKY seems bizarre, but if you look at it (really look at the sections) it is genius. It will get refined.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yess!!!

Thanks for everyone's helpful replies. You have set my mind at ease. I would still get my baby regardless, I was just more upset about getting her messed up!!! I will be a basket case when she gets her first scratch. Kinda like a new mom with her first newborn!!!Hee!Hee!:lol:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Woke up this morning to some strong storms going through my area. Drove my Sky to the gym...rained pretty much all morning long...when I returned to my car I had a few drips in two spots...one was in the center right at the latch (where it leaked before), and the other was over the passenger seat (a new leak). Not bad...just a few drips, but annoying nonetheless...:banghead: I was hoping the first time it leaked was just a "fluke"...but I guess that was just wishful thinking. :lol: I'm definitely going to have this taken care of.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts