Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Sky is really looking nice, so much that I am getting more particular about the little things such as the scratches on my outside chrome door handles from a woman's diamond ring. I am looking at new handles being sold on eBay. Some are very affordable aftermarkets $15-$20 HERE. OEMs range wildly from around $60 to $100 HERE.

Did I hear right that the OEM handles were inferior because the mounting screw opposite the lock has a simple self-tapping plastic hole that breaks out? The aftermarket ones have a metal threaded insert.

Is there a good reason why I should NOT buy the affordable aftermarket ones? Does anyone here have first-hand experience with aftermarket handles?

I just bought a new front fascia chrome with logo section because my original is lacking luster. I got a bad bug bite. If only hydrocortisone would help. ;)

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
My Sky is really looking nice, so much that I am getting more particular about the little things such as the scratches on my outside chrome door handles from a woman's diamond ring. I am looking at new handles being sold on eBay. Some are very affordable aftermarkets $15-$20 HERE. OEMs range wildly from around $60 to $100 HERE.

Did I hear right that the OEM handles were inferior because the mounting screw opposite the lock has a simple self-tapping plastic hole that breaks out? The aftermarket ones have a metal threaded insert.

Is there a good reason why I should NOT buy the affordable aftermarket ones? Does anyone here have first-hand experience with aftermarket handles?

I just bought a new front fascia chrome with logo section because my original is lacking luster. I got a bad bug bite. If only hydrocortisone would help. ;)
Use this

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My wife always liked dark blue metallic with a black interior. She would say to me, "That's you color". That is one reason why we have Ming Blue with an all Black interior. I can't say I noticed the color make the car go faster....not yet anyway. ;)

I will never understand why Saturn called our color Ming Blue. Were they limited to 4 characters? Ha, ha!

In the beginning, I thought the chrome was a bit much. But I transitioned to appreciating the chrome bling, even the gloss black interior appointments. I only wished the chrome wasn't so easy to scratch, bubble, and peel. When I am done next spring, just about every chrome item on the car will have been changed. My original chrome items were okay, just not up to my standards. It is remarkable, the damage a woman owner can do to Sky chrome with her diamond ring. I know a woman owned the car for a good while, based on all the things I found under the seats and other hidden places. At least she limited the damage to the chrome. The window glass and paint work dodged that bullet.

·
Super Moderator
6,334 Posts

I will never understand why Saturn called our color Ming Blue. Were they limited to 4 characters? Ha, ha!

Maybe you are confused because Saturn did not call the color Ming Blue?

The Saturn descriptor was Midnight Blue, with the "official" designation being: GM WA722J, GM Dark Ming Blue Metallic.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe you are confused because Saturn did not call the color Ming Blue?

The Saturn descriptor was Midnight Blue, with the "official" designation being: GM WA722J, GM Dark Ming Blue Metallic.
Thanks! I feel better now knowing my Sky is called Midnight Blue that actually goes with the "Sky" name.

Ming = Ming Dynasty = China. That's just not right.

Other definitions for ming are....

1) ming - third-person singular simple present mings, present participle minging, simple past and past participle minged

2) ming - Britain, slang - To be unattractive or foul-smelling.

That's just not right either.....most especially the British slang term.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have stock chrome but have seen handles painted body colour and they don't look bad at all!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, I bought a pair of new chrome outside handles from THIS eBay SUPPLIER. I choose this one at $28.62 per pair because the molded-in screw-thread supports inside the handles seemed better than other lower-priced choices. They arrived and are true to the pictures.

I will be reinforcing them with JB Weld prior to installation, per SaturnSkyRedline2015's recommendation.

For me, it is worth a few extra hundred dollars in replacing chrome items to address little noticeable imperfections.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They used to grease the spring to eliminate squeaking. Might want to slap some on there before putting them back into your car. I finally found the 2 chrome ones I have from the good old days of being a GM handle engineer. A bit dusty after 15 years 😂

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts