Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for a friend who has a RL on order, is there anything that needs to be done when storing a turbo car for the winter. BTW, I've been storing cars for years so I know all the do's and don'ts for an NA engine but not a turbo car. P.S, Congrats to you Sky owners, you have an awesome car.

:cheers:,
Al

·
Registered
388 Posts
TURBO Storage

I have a question for a friend who has a RL on order, is there anything that needs to be done when storing a turbo car for the winter. BTW, I've been storing cars for years so I know all the do's and don'ts for an NA engine but not a turbo car. P.S, Congrats to you Sky owners, you have an awesome car.

:cheers:,
Al
"Everything goes great with Caramel"

I once owned a Dodge Daytona Shelby Z....that had as standard equipment...a 2.4 Intercooled turbo...rated @ 174 hp....200lb turque......The only requirment during winter months was ...CHECK OIL fequently.....otherwise....nothing out of the ordinary was required..!

:deadhorse

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

I once owned a Dodge Daytona Shelby Z....that had as standard equipment...a 2.4 Intercooled turbo...rated @ 174 hp....200lb turque......The only requirment during winter months was ...CHECK OIL fequently.....otherwise....nothing out of the ordinary was required..!

:deadhorse
I have to ask -- why would you check the oil if the car was in storage?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Oil Check

I have to ask -- why would you check the oil if the car was in storage?

since I'm not an engineer...my guess would be..."settlement" time-degrgation"...leaks.......any auto "sitting" unused for a period of time...my guess would require....."fluid checks"....however ,,,,,the manual ..on the DODGE only required ...oil / fluid checks....after long period of ...non use....in cold temps....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I would recommend that you arrange for winter storage of the car, driver and family in Los Angeles, San Diego, or perhaps Miami...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

since I'm not an engineer...my guess would be..."settlement" time-degrgation"...leaks.......any auto "sitting" unused for a period of time...my guess would require....."fluid checks"....however ,,,,,the manual ..on the DODGE only required ...oil / fluid checks....after long period of ...non use....in cold temps....
Ah OK -- got ya -- I was just thinking level. Makes sense...:thumbs:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got Great Idea!!!

I would recommend that you arrange for winter storage of the car, driver and family in Los Angeles, San Diego, or perhaps Miami...
I would be glad to store the RL for ya.... I'll wash it once a week, keep it in the garage. Give good tire massage:lol: that is if ya don't mind a few extra miles......:cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be glad to store the RL for ya.... I'll wash it once a week, keep it in the garage. Give good tire massage:lol: that is if ya don't mind a few extra miles......:cheers:
Thanks for the replies guys.

wireless;123444, Sorry but I'd be first in line to take my friends RL to my winter home in Alabama :D, thanks for volunteering though.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Storage

I will be storing my toy in the next couple of weeks here in Toronto. I had it at Krown to get sprayed & when he had it up I took a look under. I noticed that there was only 4 jacking points & no where to put blocks under the car. (to lift the wheels off the ground). I read (I think on this site) somewhere about folding up carpet & putting it under the tires so they do not flat spot. Makes some sents I guess. I will do that, fuel stabilizer, fuel injector cleaner & fire it up every Tuesday & Friday & let it run for a little while (and sit and dream). That is my game plan. Anybody have any other ideas??
Midnight Blue RL
5 sp

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The Car Capsule

Roll out the Car Capsule.
It has two zippers that run around the basemat to the back where the fan is located.
Just unzip and roll the upper shroud towards the fan.

Pull the vehicle on the basemat and roll the upper shroud over the vehicle.

Zip up the unit and plug in the fan. The Car Capsule takes 5-10 minutes to inflate.
The inflated Car Capsule takes up about 1 foot on either side of the vehicle.
The inflated car capsule extends approximately 6" front and rear.​

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be storing my toy in the next couple of weeks here in Toronto. I had it at Krown to get sprayed & when he had it up I took a look under. I noticed that there was only 4 jacking points & no where to put blocks under the car. (to lift the wheels off the ground). I read (I think on this site) somewhere about folding up carpet & putting it under the tires so they do not flat spot. Makes some sents I guess. I will do that, fuel stabilizer, fuel injector cleaner & fire it up every Tuesday & Friday & let it run for a little while (and sit and dream). That is my game plan. Anybody have any other ideas??
Midnight Blue RL
5 sp

As I mentioned in my first post I've been storing cars for years but not a Turbo, here's my thoughts.

Todays tires don't flat spot like years ago but placing some carpet under the tires wouldn't hurt, I inflate the tires to 45psi when storing ( don't forget to deflate the tires once out of storage ).

Probably one of the best things you can do is get a www.carbag.com , I know people that have used these for years and they love them...order the optional OmniDry desicant cylinders if get one. If you're just use a car cover I would suggest using a floor fan in front of the car, I run mine 24/7 year round.

I've also been using Battery Tenders for years and would strongly suggest getting one, a Battery Tender ( brand name ) is not a trickle charger and you should avoid using a trickle charger in my opinon.

When I store a car I don't start it until I'm ready to drive it, starting a car for a short time could cause you some problems down the road.

As for placing jack stands under the car for long periods of time I would also avoid that, in some cases improperly placed jack stands could cause body sag.

These are just my opinons and may not work for you.

·
Registered
426 Posts
why would you need to start the car 2 times a week? Hell I dont even drive my weekend car 2 day every week.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As I mentioned in my first post I've been storing cars for years but not a Turbo, here's my thoughts.

Todays tires don't flat spot like years ago but placing some carpet under the tires wouldn't hurt, I inflate the tires to 45psi when storing ( don't forget to deflate the tires once out of storage ).

Probably one of the best things you can do is get a www.carbag.com , I know people that have used these for years and they love them...order the optional OmniDry desicant cylinders if get one. If you're just use a car cover I would suggest using a floor fan in front of the car, I run mine 24/7 year round.

I've also been using Battery Tenders for years and would strongly suggest getting one, a Battery Tender ( brand name ) is not a trickle charger and you should avoid using a trickle charger in my opinon.

When I store a car I don't start it until I'm ready to drive it, starting a car for a short time could cause you some problems down the road.

As for placing jack stands under the car for long periods of time I would also avoid that, in some cases improperly placed jack stands could cause body sag.

These are just my opinons and may not work for you.
Thanks! I have a couple questions. What do you mean by a floor fan & what does that do? What is wrong with starting the car every so often? It is just as if you were driving it. If you start it you keep the injectors clean (geling) & get all rubber seals moving (pump the brakes). I stored a 69 GTO Judge for years this way. I should of added that this in a unheated garage. It gets pretty cold up here in Toronto (Buffalo like)

why would you need to start the car 2 times a week? Hell I dont even drive my weekend car 2 day every week.
Our winter is alot different that yours (VA). Starting it & letting it run will get rid of alot of moisture buildup. We have very cold & damp winters.

Thanks for the info guy's.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Our winter is alot different that yours (VA). Starting it & letting it run will get rid of alot of moisture buildup. We have very cold & damp winters.

Thanks for the info guy's.
I dont disagree that your winter is harsher than mine, hell Richmonds winter is not really that bad. But I think starting the car 2x a week is a bit overkill. A car sitting for a week is not an issue. And just starting the car and letting it idle for a bit might do more harm then good in the long run. But thats just $.02

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont disagree that your winter is harsher than mine, hell Richmonds winter is not really that bad. But I think starting the car 2x a week is a bit overkill. A car sitting for a week is not an issue. And just starting the car and letting it idle for a bit might do more harm then good in the long run. But thats just $.02
No offence. But read the whole part of the forum. "How is it different that driving it every day?"

·
Registered
426 Posts
a car sitting and idling for a couple minutes is very different than driving it every day

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! I have a couple questions. What do you mean by a floor fan & what does that do? What is wrong with starting the car every so often? It is just as if you were driving it. If you start it you keep the injectors clean (geling) & get all rubber seals moving (pump the brakes). I stored a 69 GTO Judge for years this way. I should of added that this in a unheated garage. It gets pretty cold up here in Toronto (Buffalo like)

The floor fan is just that, a fan like you would use in a garage or home. The floor fan helps by keeping the air moving around the car, been using floor fans for 30 years.

If you choose to start your car once a week or so I would let the engine temp get to 210 before turning it off, being it's your car do what you thinks best.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The floor fan is just that, a fan like you would use in a garage or home. The floor fan helps by keeping the air moving around the car, been using floor fans for 30 years.

If you choose to start your car once a week or so I would let the engine temp get to 210 before turning it off, being it's your car do what you thinks best.
There are many articals written about starting engines that are not in active service. It is not recommended. The biproduct of combustion is carbon minoxide and water. With the engine cold water does accumulate in all kinds of areas. The most damaging is the moisture that gets in to the oil. It is very hard to evaporate the moisture during ideling. This moisture combines with the hydrocarbons and other chemicals in the oil and will form acids. The acids attack cranks, bearings, and even areas in the upper valve assembly. I fly a private aircraft, they have No water any where in the engine, I have seen valve covers removed and about a 1/2 teaspoon of water in the lower creases of the head. If you plan to store it for a long time the best bet is to change the oil Hot after a 30 - 40 minute drive. drive again for 20 min. then put the car up HOT and don't touch it. If you still feel compelled to turn the key, remove an ignition wire and just turn the engine over untill oil presure comes up for about 20 seconds.
This is exactly what pilots do when storing an aircraft for an extended time, and one of those little 320 cu in four cylinder 150 hp engines cost as much as our new SKYs:cheers:

·
Registered
119 Posts
what is the recommended fuel stabilizer and my second question is the fuel tank itself . Saturns storage bulletin recommends filling the tank only 1/4 full but if the tank is constructed of stell as oppoesed to plastic will it rust over the winter due to moisture build up in the vacant space? In the spring I would rather burn off a 1/4 tank of old gas than a full one .....

Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts