Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an experience with their ABS warning light staying on? My light came on at 206 miles yesterday. I called my dealer about it... (absolutely clueless..) I called Onstar and they ran diagnostics on her. They stated that there was indeed an error being reported with the ABS. I'm taking her in today to have the CAI installed and will have them look into this too. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sounds like you did all the right stuff (perhaps we need to call OnStar first as it DOES seem the dealer won't know much). Definitely have it checked! It would be a shame to accelerate up to 65 and not be able to stop!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will take care of you, they will call whoever neccesary to get it fixed. Saturn of Arlington,:thumbs:

P.S. Don't forget to mention my nickname, Gipper!!
Yep.. I've already dropped your name at S of A and have started getting VIP treatment!! :jester:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you lost a wheel speed sensor.
Possibly.. Or maybe one is loose.. Now the light comes on and goes off every so often. The dearship has it now and will be giving her a check-up.

Ernest, Serenity is "sweet" btw. I saw her on the sales floor behaving herself while others were gawing and saying how pretty she was. She took the compliments in stride.. (I think she's heard all that before..)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for looking in on her, she likes company:thumbs: When are you picking up your SKY? I might try to run up there and met you all:thumbs:
Tom told me he thought she should be ready around 3:30 or 4:00

·
Registered
231 Posts
Possibly.. Or maybe one is loose.. Now the light comes on and goes off every so often. The dearship has it now and will be giving her a check-up.

Ernest, Serenity is "sweet" btw. I saw her on the sales floor behaving herself while others were gawing and saying how pretty she was. She took the compliments in stride.. (I think she's heard all that before..)
Yeah, if it's going on and off the sensor is probably losing track of the tone wheel. My guess would be that the bolt holding the sensor in the hub was not in all the way. Either that or is could be a tolerance issue and the sensor is too far away from the tone wheel...or there's a short in the system.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like you did all the right stuff (perhaps we need to call OnStar first as it DOES seem the dealer won't know much). Definitely have it checked! It would be a shame to accelerate up to 65 and not be able to stop!
If the ABS light is coming, the ABS system has shut down itself because of a failure/abnormal signal in one of the components of the ABS.
That doesn't mean that the brake isn't working, the brake works without the help of the ABS such as the lot of Solstices ordered without ABS (in base Sol ABS is an option). I remember dicussions on SolForum what ABS should be useful for.
Under some conditions the brake distances without ABS even can be shorter.

The benefit of the ABS system is that you can't block one or more wheels and that means the car is steerable under full pressure brake.
Another pro is you can't get a brake flat on your wheels.

You can test it yourself: normally there is a discrete fuse for the ABS system or if not you can disconnect a wheel sensor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, if it's going on and off the sensor is probably losing track of the tone wheel. My guess would be that the bolt holding the sensor in the hub was not in all the way. Either that or is could be a tolerance issue and the sensor is too far away from the tone wheel...or there's a short in the system.
Mallard.. You were dead on! The rear driver's side sensor was defective. Service is going to have to order a new one.. 1 - 2 days for delivery :banghead: I guess as more data comes in from the field, that some of these parts will go on auto-order and a minimum stocking level is maintained.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mallard.. You were dead on! The rear driver's side sensor was defective. Service is going to have to order a new one.. 1 - 2 days for delivery :banghead: I guess as more data comes in from the field, that some of these parts will go on auto-order and a minimum stocking level is maintained.
I work on ABS / ESC systems. :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
What about the ABS warning light staying on when you turn the car on. I don't mean for like 5 seconds but more like 90 seconds. It finally goes off with three audio chime chirps with a bit of time and driving. It has done it for me the past couple of days and the only thing that has changed about my Sky/driving is now its 30 some degrees outside - any impact that would have?

I plan to bring it up when I get the oil changed later this month.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What about the ABS warning light staying on when you turn the car on. I don't mean for like 5 seconds but more like 90 seconds. It finally goes off with three audio chime chirps with a bit of time and driving. It has done it for me the past couple of days and the only thing that has changed about my Sky/driving is now its 30 some degrees outside - any impact that would have?

I plan to bring it up when I get the oil changed later this month.
Again, have it checked by your dealer ASAP as there will likely be fault codes (DTCs) stored for the error observed. The expectations of the original poster that you should be able to call the dealer on the phone and they should be able to tell you what's wrong is totally ludicrous.
There are no fewer than 28 DTCs related to the Continental Teves ABS System used in the Sky
FSM said:
C0035 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit
C0040 Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit
C0045 Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit
C0050 Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit
C0110 Pump Motor Circuit
C0131 Antilock Brake System (ABS) Pressure Circuit
C0161 Antilock Brake System (ABS)/Traction Control System (TCS) Brake Switch Circuit Signal Malfunction
C0186 Lateral Accelerometer Circuit
C0196 Yaw Rate Circuit
C0201 Antilock Brake System (ABS) Enable Relay Contact Circuit
C0252 Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) Sensors Uncorrelated
C0267 Low Brake Fluid Indicated
C0277 Brake Pedal Position Sensor Circuit
C0278 Brake Pedal Position Sensor Not Calibrated
C0292 VSES Combination Sensor Circuits
C0460 Steering Position Sensor
C0550 Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Performance
C0551 Option Configuration Error
C0561 System Disabled Information Stored
C0569 System Configuration Error
C0870 Device Voltage Reference Output 1
C0899 Device Voltage Low
C0900 Device Voltage High
U2100 Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus Communication
U2105 Lost Communications With Engine Control System
U2106 Lost Communications With Transmission Control System
U2107 Lost Communications With Body Control System
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Now my ABS warning light simply stays on. Im thinking I may also have a defective sensor.

I am taking her in for an oil change as soon as I get home and I'll have them look at it then and let you all know what the problem was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts