Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Power Steering Belt Shredded Itself

After 5300 miles the belt that runs the AC and Power Steering decided to give up life and shredded itself all over the place. I was driving along on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon and all of a sudden power steering gave out and it was REALLY hard to turn the wheel especially at slower speeds. I never heard any noise whatsoever but it was evident something went wrong. I pulled over and initially checked the power steering fluid, hmm that was full. Next was the belt so I peered down inside the engine and sure enough the belt was shredded and had gotten tangled behind the pulleys. I pulled the belt out with some time and precision and left it off while I drove it home. I had a friend of mine, who is a mechanic, look at it and tell me that it was okay to drive if I had to but recommended that I get it to the dealership and have them look at the tensioner to make sure it isn't faulty, if not then to replace the belt and send me on my way!

I called the dealer this morning and they must of had the particular belt in so they said come on by and get it replaced when I can. I will have to do it tomorrow, I drove the SL2 today :banghead:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I am suprised they told you to drive it. I thought there was one serpentine belt that ran everything, so not only was the power steering out but so was the water pump, alternator, and AC. :confused:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tony, I hope that going back to the old Saturn wasn't too tough. Hope she's back on the road in no time. Any idea what may have brought on the heavy wear?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well guys I am not at all a mechanic, even though I always have done my generic maintenance on my vehicles, but it looks now that the belt I am speaking of only runs the power steering. I wanted to see if the AC worked and the answer was yes it did so I think that belt only controls the power steering even though I haven't looked in the manual to see. I do see there is a serpentine belt that runs everything else so I am confused why we have 2 separate belts. In the last 2 cars I have owned there has been only one serpentine belt in each. Very odd but heck this is what warranty work is for and the guys at my dealership are awesome and will have it in today! Will be back :driving: soon!

BTW, I am glad I can still drive it because I do not have the heart to allow my car to be seen on the back of a rollback truck. Do you know what reputation that would shatter? I have had so many people see my car around here and say so many nice things. If they saw it on a rollback broken down that's a big OH CRAP!!!

And about the heavy wear...
The only thing I can think is the few times I showed people how good the handling is, maybe that caused some stress on either the belt itself or the tensioner (enough to loosen the belt and have it shred). Besides that I drive well mannered and mostly straight highway (I-95).

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
tiger20005 said:
Well guys I am not at all a mechanic, even though I always have done my generic maintenance on my vehicles, but it looks now that the belt I am speaking of only runs the power steering. I wanted to see if the AC worked and the answer was yes it did so I think that belt only controls the power steering even though I haven't looked in the manual to see. I do see there is a serpentine belt that runs everything else so I am confused why we have 2 separate belts. In the last 2 cars I have owned there has been only one serpentine belt in each. Very odd but heck this is what warranty work is for and the guys at my dealership are awesome and will have it in today! Will be back :driving: soon!

BTW, I am glad I can still drive it because I do not have the heart to allow my car to be seen on the back of a rollback truck. Do you know what reputation that would shatter? I have had so many people see my car around here and say so many nice things. If they saw it on a rollback broken down that's a big OH CRAP!!!

And about the heavy wear...
The only thing I can think is the few times I showed people how good the handling is, maybe that caused some stress on either the belt itself or the tensioner (enough to loosen the belt and have it shred). Besides that I drive well mannered and mostly straight highway (I-95).
The Z0K Solstices racing haven't seen any issues that I am aware of.

In fact, yours if the very first I have ever heard of on a SKY or Solstice. Maybe it was a rare bad belt - that happened to me when I put a brand new belt in my old '74 Cutlass Supreme - on the way to work, it turned into a rat's nest. Talk about :mad: I cussed out the local owner of the NAPA store...

...I don't do that much anymore. Old age has seemed to mellow me... :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reason it has its own separate belt is becase all ecotecs prior the the kappas used electronic power steering. So its just easier to add on then redesign.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Tiger20005, Maybe the tensioner was not torqued to specs ? Who knows as long as it don't happen again...Skip....:) :) :) :willy:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tiger20005, Maybe the tensioner was not torqued to specs ?
That wouldn't affect anything, unless the tensioner was actually loose and flopping around, which can easily be determined. The problem would be incorrect tension applied by the spring in the tensioner,if anything. When the belt is replaced, the tension can be measured and compared to what's OK. The shop manuals always measured tension with a small weight scale with a hook and applied a specified force pull against the center of the belt, while measuring the amount of belt movement in inches.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woohoo!!! I am driving normal again, except I need to practice a little because I keep oversteering since I didn't have PS for a few days. Anyways took them 2 minutes to install the belt and have me back on the road!! I hope it was only a faulty belt problem and I am pretty sure that's all it was. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
$5 part

My boss had a boat burn to the water line as a result of a brand new - but defective - fuel filter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow then I better consider myself lucky then! No harm no foul on this mishap...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts