Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody !

I had an accident on March 16, some back pain for the passengers, nothing important. How it happened? Too fast ... and an unexpected oversteer. The car hit, got on the right side, climb and went down ...
the car is declared irreparable yesterday -5 March-. it was not a car ... it was the car. Now I await the amount offered by the insurance. You can imagine the distress. We always pay for our mistakes, we always learn from our mistakes
Obviously, I stay on the forum in reader mode, as usual most of the time. Thank you all for the help given to the difficulties encountered.I'm going to look for another GT obviously ...

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
Glad everyone is safe, and feel for you losing your baby.

If they will let you buy the car and it isn't too much I would pick it up. A lot of parts on these things that are becoming valuable. Nothing like having spare parts when you need them

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
'Not repairable' in insurance speak means it would cost more than the write off value to fix it, not that it can't be fixed. A car that has been written off but repaired has a reduced resale value so consider that if you are inclined to get it back and have it fixed yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not repairable' in insurance speak means it would cost more than the write off value to fix it, not that it can't be fixed. A car that has been written off but repaired has a reduced resale value so consider that if you are inclined to get it back and have it fixed yourself.
You are true for the insurance,
The difficulty...with Switzerland, to cross the border again in the direction of my garage in France...you can't imagine the complexity.
I'm waiting for the proposal of the acquisition, to be seen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To cite one of the posts above. Speed is a parameter of this painful adventure. It was not a high (no limited) speed that we are allowed on portions of German motorways and not a rally speed ...
The accident and the loss of my baby were the main problem, not the course of events ...

I probably should have been more specific about the conditions ...

Two bikers "attacking" the curve, visible behind ... driving in a part of my lane, it goes or not ... I know this part, I was a Yamaha YZF sportbike pilot in particular, not enough visibility in the amount ... this curve, no one of us didn't not play there.
Equation = bikers + speed/oversteer + configuration of the place + loss of control in order before or to avoid them = two living bikers and my GT demolished. Major subject major my car, they continued their way.
Indeed, a speed would have made it possible to avoid or not ... or to take them higher as a passenger on my trunk.

the explanation of the situation does not seem clear but the end for me result is the same, I prefer this

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,563 Posts
Two bikers "attacking" the curve, visible behind ... driving in a part of my lane, it goes or not ... I know this part, I was a Yamaha YZF sportbike pilot in particular, not enough visibility in the amount ... this curve, no one of us didn't not play there.
Equation = bikers + speed/oversteer + configuration of the place + loss of control in order before or to avoid them = two living bikers and my GT demolished. Major subject major my car, they continued their way.
Indeed, a speed would have made it possible to avoid or not ... or to take them higher as a passenger on my trunk.

the explanation of the situation does not seem clear but the end for me result is the same, I prefer this
As a long time emergency worker (Fire/EMS/911/EM)... I have learned a few things.

One, look out for #1... meaning look out for yourself. One thing I tell people if there is an animal (deer, etc) that runs out in front of them, is to just brake... and if you hit them, you hit them. In NYS, if you swerve to miss the animal and hit something else, the accident is your fault. If you just brake and hit the animal, it is considered no fault. This case would have been similar. You swerved and damaged only your vehicle. If you just hit the brakes and they struck your car, they would have been at fault, and their insurance would have covered your car's damage. Not sure if there are deductibles on your insurance plan, but in that case, you would not be out anything because it was their insurance. Sure, it feels bad knowing they may have been injured hitting your car... but that goes back to looking out for #1. They were not looking out for themselves by crossing into your lane, and you were looking out for their safety... ultimately causing a potential loss on your car.

I wish you the best, and hopefully you can get your car fixed or find another GT.

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
As a long time emergency worker (Fire/EMS/911/EM)... I have learned a few things.

One, look out for #1... meaning look out for yourself. One thing I tell people if there is an animal (deer, etc) that runs out in front of them, is to just brake... and if you hit them, you hit them. In NYS, if you swerve to miss the animal and hit something else, the accident is your fault. If you just brake and hit the animal, it is considered no fault. This case would have been similar. You swerved and damaged only your vehicle. If you just hit the brakes and they struck your car, they would have been at fault, and their insurance would have covered your car's damage. Not sure if there are deductibles on your insurance plan, but in that case, you would not be out anything because it was their insurance. Sure, it feels bad knowing they may have been injured hitting your car... but that goes back to looking out for #1. They were not looking out for themselves by crossing into your lane, and you were looking out for their safety... ultimately causing a potential loss on your car.

I wish you the best, and hopefully you can get your car fixed or find another GT.
Somehow the idea of choosing to let someone kill themself to avoid damaging my car seems a bit cold-blooded. I fully understand what you are saying, and agree with it to some extent intellectually, but putting that into practice would not be pleasant. Would you really feel OK about knowing that you could have saved the guy's life, but chose not to so that the damage would be his fault? I will say that it is not unlike most of the sport-bike riders that I know to cause a crash and not stop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
One slight change to the insurance comments.... it is the 'net value' of the car that is the factor in determining a write-off. That means cost to repair and the salvage value vs the actual cash value of the car are all included in the calculation. So, the actual repair cost can be lower than the actual value of the car but if the salvage value increases that cost to equal to or more than the car value, then its a write-off. Some insurers will also consider it a write off if those two numbers (damage & salvage) are below but close because they wont want to start a repair job and then find some previously unseen damage that will push that amount upwards. At that point they are also looking at future liability issues in the event something happens and it can be traced back to the repair work done to save the car. Just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Somehow the idea of choosing to let someone kill themself to avoid damaging my car seems a bit cold-blooded. I fully understand what you are saying, and agree with it to some extent intellectually, but putting that into practice would not be pleasant. Would you really feel OK about knowing that you could have saved the guy's life, but chose not to so that the damage would be his fault? I will say that it is not unlike most of the sport-bike riders that I know to cause a crash and not stop.
For this topic, I didn't worked as a emergency worker like todaresqSL2, but like him I saw so many family crying. When i worked as chief in a Technical Working Group on Crime Scene Investigation. For a animal, no hesitation.

Back to insurance, value when i bought it minus franchise. Not so bad. It will not easy to find one...this one was a very very good deal.

On pictures, it doesn't look like so bad, below and more precisely totaly different, I prefer and like the insurance certainly not to take the risk of bad repair.
It will be sale again on market soon or later

I answered to my wife, another cabriolet ?...a GT or nothing and I stay a motorbike driver...a good argument.:sneaky:

·
Registered
954 Posts
emlec1992--my Saturn Sky Redline is for sale here near Frankfurt. It will need to be converted for a normal registration but if you can recover the lights from your previous car you could likely do it quite inexpensively. In fact, you might have an easier time in Switzerland. Send me a PM if you are interested, also the car is listed in the classified section.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,563 Posts
For this topic, I didn't worked as a emergency worker like todaresqSL2, but like him I saw so many family crying. When i worked as chief in a Technical Working Group on Crime Scene Investigation. For a animal, no hesitation.
The issue is it is not the damage to one's own vehicle only. It is also to save your own life. I have responded to incidents where the person swerves, and kills themselves to not hit a deer or a vehicle in their lane, where if they just kept course and/or just hit the brakes normally, they would have been alive still. Like this one, where he swerved to miss the deer. Unfortunately, both he and the deer died. Driver Dead After XNG Truck Crashes on I-88 in Broome County

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
If it is your time you are going. I had two mountain bike racers who lived in Georgia. They had just finished their ride and took the main road back. Heading west on the road, another driver heading east hit a deer. It threw it across the road and killed both of the 15 year old cyclists. Sad but very true. It is very easy to say what we might do or want to do in an accident. But what really happens is normally different than what you want or expect.

And I have hit a deer, rather than going off the road to miss it, the wife has to, but who knows the next time. Hitting a deer head on with a Sky/GT also brings the chance of it coming up the hood and going thru the windshield. I have seen that happen with an Elk and a cow, not Sky's but low profile vehicles with low front ends.

I wish you luck finding another GT. But if you end up keeping it for parts, I have some serious interest in parts that may be salvageable. IE smokers package, rear fog light lower dash and wiring for it to the BCM. Tail lights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(...)
I wish you luck finding another GT. But if you end up keeping it for parts, I have some serious interest in parts that may be salvageable. IE smokers package, rear fog light lower dash and wiring for it to the BCM. Tail lights.
No chance, even a light bulb, I was unable to recover it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts