Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got a VIN from my dealer today...3134. However...my salesrep tells me that according to the computer printout, my Sky was built just yesterday...on 05/30/06. Here is where I get confused...:confused: There are two other forum members who had their SKYs built on Friday, 05/26/06...one being Rick Tinley Park whose VIN is 3099, and the other being CyaL8r whose VIN is 3171. Seeing as my VIN# falls right smack in between theirs...can I assume that my Sky was also born on 5/26/06 and that my dealer is just wrong about the build date? Can anyone shed some light on this? Aren't the cars built in sequential VIN number order???

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
nscrbug said:
So I finally got a VIN from my dealer today...3134. However...my salesrep tells me that according to the computer printout, my Sky was built just yesterday...on 05/30/06. Here is where I get confused...:confused: There are two other forum members who had their SKYs built on Friday, 05/26/06...one being Rick Tinley Park whose VIN is 3099, and the other being CyaL8r whose VIN is 3171. Seeing as my VIN# falls right smack in between theirs...can I assume that my Sky was also born on 5/26/06 and that my dealer is just wrong about the build date? Can anyone shed some light on this? Aren't the cars built in sequential VIN number order???
I think it could just be dependent on who enters what in the computer and the order in which the paperwork is shuffled.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying that it is possible that SKYs are being built in no particular order? :confused: I'm just trying to get a handle on this. I don't know anything about how the process of car manufacturing works, but it just seems odd to me that cars would be built out of VIN sequence order. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? Anybody here on this forum work on an assembly line building GM cars? I imagine the build process is the same in any GM plant, no?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes the VIN numbers are in order of production, so yours was built on the 26th if they have the right dates. The 30th date is most likely the date is was released for shipment

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
nscrbug said:
So you're saying that it is possible that SKYs are being built in no particular order? :confused: I'm just trying to get a handle on this. I don't know anything about how the process of car manufacturing works, but it just seems odd to me that cars would be built out of VIN sequence order. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? Anybody here on this forum work on an assembly line building GM cars? I imagine the build process is the same in any GM plant, no?

Just speculation, they assign VIN's considerable before the car goes onto the line, so it is possible depending on different factors that the cars might be built in slightly different order. Again, I am just guessing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Could it be that you have automatic? That may have changed build time???
Just looking for logical differences.
I saw my sheet and it actually listed the build time 4:42:49 AM 5/26/06

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your input on this. Based on what you have all posted, it seems as though there may be a few different scenarios as to why my Sky may have been built a few days later than those that had VINs both ahead of and after mine. I guess at this point, I should just be happy that my car has been built. :D :willy:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
nscrbug said:
Thanks everyone for your input on this. Based on what you have all posted, it seems as though there may be a few different scenarios as to why my Sky may have been built a few days later than those that had VINs both ahead of and after mine. I guess at this point, I should just be happy that my car has been built. :D :willy:
:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts