Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching E-Bay for a couple weeks looking at the used Skys to try and get an idea of the true resale value, here is what I found:

Of the last five completed auctions, none showed that the reserve had been met, and two were relisted.....

There are currently nine auctions for used Skys three of these have bids, none of the three have met the reserve price.

I have not watched everything that happens on e-bay on the Skys some auctions may have occurred with buy-it-now or I may just have missed them, but it sure appears that the premium pricing is dropping off rapidly.

It would be really interested to see information on this, my current thinking is that right now we are seeing more of a perception of premium pricing rather than the bulk of the sales being done at premium pricing. Does anyone have any comments on this, if you have sold one on e-bay and don't mind sharing the price received please post the auction number so everyone can see the pricing, timing etc..

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have been watching E-Bay for a couple weeks looking at the used Skys to try and get an idea of the true resale value, here is what I found:

Of the last five completed auctions, none showed that the reserve had been met, and two were relisted.....

There are currently nine auctions for used Skys three of these have bids, none of the three have met the reserve price.

I have not watched everything that happens on e-bay on the Skys some auctions may have occurred with buy-it-now or I may just have missed them, but it sure appears that the premium pricing is dropping off rapidly.

It would be really interested to see information on this, my current thinking is that right now we are seeing more of a perception of premium pricing rather than the bulk of the sales being done at premium pricing. Does anyone have any comments on this, if you have sold one on e-bay and don't mind sharing the price received please post the auction number so everyone can see the pricing, timing etc..

I have one for sale on Ebay, tons & tons of hits, but no bids at all!

I am letting it go for what I have in it, great deal for someone as I would let it go far less than MSRP and has extras... basically 3k under MSRP!

I have a Sky RL coming in soon and thought that it would be very easy to unload. I was wrong... so far.

5 weeks of Auto Trader, 4 weeks of Newspapers, and one week of Ebay, ...

Oh well, I still have hope that I will unload it; but it certainly does appear like most of the novelty has worn off already. The days of asking premiums for these cars is gone... for the regular Sky anyways....

The big thing that I am fighting in my immediate area is:

Everyone wants a RL! Now that is a different story!

Any ideas out there??

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Just like my Sky. It's a used car. When you sign your name, it lost value. There are not a lot of them being made, so if you wait 30 or 40 years they may increase in value. But don't expect it to be a 1953 corvette. Just drive it, enjoy it, and have fun.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I watched the solstice do the same thing. There was a longer demand for it than the SKY though. I would agree that the excitement has worn off significantly over the last couple of weeks. No one is selling them at a premium anymore. So, I suggest keeping the car or taking a loss....cars are almost always a poor investment, but they are sure fun to own. I hope my RL is here soon. Last week it was at 3400 yet.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I watched the solstice do the same thing. There was a longer demand for it than the SKY though. I would agree that the excitement has worn off significantly over the last couple of weeks. No one is selling them at a premium anymore. So, I suggest keeping the car or taking a loss....cars are almost always a poor investment, but they are sure fun to own. I hope my RL is here soon. Last week it was at 3400 yet.
Keeping it is not an option as my RL has to have a place to sleep...

Should it not move by the time my RL arrives, I may have to burn it!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think you have options

I have seen quite a few on e-bay sell and I've seen some with ridiculous reserves on them not sell. Just a couple days ago there was one with bids up to 27800.00 it didn't sell because the reserve was 29995.00. Lets look at the Base Sky before june 22 one with every option would top out at 26,600. That is not dealer add ons or tax. I look at some of the e-bay ones they are not loaded and they still think there worth 30k. If I was selling on e-bay I would put the msrp as of today and break-out the options with prices. but alot of people want to recoup the dealer add ons and sales tax that is not reasonable. A person that buys on e-bay is limited as to finance options, sight unseen buying of used car, and would make the assumption that they have to pay airfare on top of price or shipping costs. Someone who gets 27-28 on e-bay is making out like a bandit, because the buyer has to flyout or ship adding dollars on top of auction cost.
Autotrader has many on there from 25k to 50k some of these have have up to 15k miles on them. If your buying from out of state again you must fly adding to cost. Some of these are dealers so they have the selling advantage of taking trades and offering financing that the individual can't offer.

·
Registered
745 Posts
More options

Go to Car Max I heard that they were paying 1000 over list. This meaning factory msrp and options not tax or dealer add on ons. They transport them to high demand areas and sell them at premium.
Do what I'm doing my dealer is giving me what I paid for my Base Sky in trade for the Redline. This saves me sales tax on new one. The sales tax if I paid cash for Redline would be 2200.00 by tradiing in and paying the difference in cash 300.00 dollars in tax. so to my way of thinking my base Sky loaded is sticker price 26300 + 1900 tax saving = 28200 is what Im getting by trading in. My Redline with options is 30930 with sales tax 33130 with trade total 31230.00
Why would the dealer do this first off he is free to sell a used car for what ever price he feels the market will bear. Plus he has a demo and traffic producer sitting in his lot without a new car buyer clamoring for his new car when it arrives in showroom. Plus the Saturn Dealer has a list of rabid Sky fans waiting for there chance to order a Sky and might not see one for monthes after it is accepted in the GM system. They just hit the phones and the car will be gone with in a day i would guaranntee. So there is some options.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
In many areas the time for convertible is coming to an end. Also people that are in the know have ordered, been delivered or are going RedLine. RedLines will be dominant until the end of the build, I'd imagine. Once the Spring approaches and new allocations hit etc, I'd bet the demand will grow once more.
However, the market for this kind of car is about 100,000 a year. Miata has 40% of that covered. Solstice and Sky another 30%. But that had been covered by other cars in the past, so there will be a glut of convertible roadsters/sport cars on the market. Everyone will have to fight for their percentage. By keeping the build more in the 10,000 range GM hopes to "get through" the time when everyone who wants a Sol or a SKY has one and no one is trading them in, yet. Bet on 4-5 years. If things go OK, then the resells (people buying a new SKY, trading their old) will start to even sales out.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I found that they have dropped in value not that they are plenty more out there. You will probably get the MSRP but I don't think you will recoup your Sales tax and fees. Thats why your better of trading. You get the sales tax advantage. And the dealership shopul give you pretty close tp MSRP.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
One aspect of ASSUMING that the cars are NOT selling on e-bay is that the selling can use e-bay as a barometer of what their car CAN sell for. Here is how --

Seller puts their Sky/Solstice on e-bay with a high reserve. Bids are made and the reserve is not hit. For the cost of listing the car the seller has learned how much the car will sell for at that time. The seller contacts the high bidder, asks him if he is still willing to buy the car, haggles a bit, and strikes a deal!! Car sells OFF e-bay.

How do I know this? I almost bought an S2000 this way before I put a deposit on my RL. :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just like when selling a home on speculation selling a sports car is best done in spring or early summer if you want the largest market. Sure people will still buy in the winter/fall but you will not be able to sell for a premium nine times out of ten. In the spring people say "I really want one of these cars but oh no the dealer says X weeks/months til I can buy one! I guess I'll just pay this guy for his car instead of waiting. I'll have months to use it instead of weeks!" So if you can afford it wait til spring to sell if you want the most out of it. If you're in a warm state then this doesn't apply as much for cars I imagine but up here in the north it's completely true.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Go to Car Max I heard that they were paying 1000 over list. This meaning factory msrp and options not tax or dealer add on ons. They transport them to high demand areas and sell them at premium.
Do what I'm doing my dealer is giving me what I paid for my Base Sky in trade for the Redline. This saves me sales tax on new one. The sales tax if I paid cash for Redline would be 2200.00 by tradiing in and paying the difference in cash 300.00 dollars in tax. so to my way of thinking my base Sky loaded is sticker price 26300 + 1900 tax saving = 28200 is what Im getting by trading in. My Redline with options is 30930 with sales tax 33130 with trade total 31230.00
Why would the dealer do this first off he is free to sell a used car for what ever price he feels the market will bear. Plus he has a demo and traffic producer sitting in his lot without a new car buyer clamoring for his new car when it arrives in showroom. Plus the Saturn Dealer has a list of rabid Sky fans waiting for there chance to order a Sky and might not see one for monthes after it is accepted in the GM system. They just hit the phones and the car will be gone with in a day i would guaranntee. So there is some options.
This is exactly what I am thinking. I checked with my dealer and I believe they will give me what I paid and take it as a trade in immediately on the RL, that I have on order. That way I will not have to pay Ohio Sales tax 6.5% on the trade in amount difference. They indicated that this deal would only work now before the season is over. The down side is that I will be giving up my Sky for a couple of months while I wait and the dealer will have my $26,600 plus down payment to work for him until my RL comes in, probably in November. I have the luxury of a BMW Z4 to drive in the meantime, or I probably would'nt do it. The dealer just sold their yellow demo in 5 minutes for MSRP. I'll let everone know how that works out when I do the deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts