Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my guards and installed them myself.
LISTEN FOLKS -- it is easy -- so If you want Do it yourself!! Here are some pics and comments:

First the guards came with real good instructions and everything you need to install:
What tools do you need?
10mm socket and smaller socket -- metric -- but I used an adjustable (pulling out to discard) so I do not know the size.
Phillips Screwdriver (a 90 degree or very stubby is recommended especially for the rear -- if you do not want to remove your wheels.)
Tube of Black Silicone caulk (Optional)
I also used a knife and flat blade screwdriver to help remove the old plastic push rivets.

If you follow the directions the install is very easy. Here are some pics in the next post

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First pic:
On the front install you remove one screw (circled in Magenta). And a bolt (10mm) from under (Magenta arrow)

Second Pic:
You must drill one hole and install a screw clip. Now, this clip is supposed to be installed on the fender (yellow) part -- but I could not get in there well enough. The screw will securely hold this assembly and all will be fine once finished.
The larger hole is from the screw removal. A push rivet fills this hole

Third Pic:
Here you can see the push rivet in and the screw (supplied) fastening the guard. What you can not see is the bolt (10mm) from under the fender -- they supply a clip and screw but I was able to reuse the bolt and it made for a tighter, more secure install

Also note --- You can see some of the black silicone I used (needs touch up at top of guard.
What I did was run a generous bead in the guard to seal the guard in place also - once installed I ran a bead along the outside to stop water from getting "through" the guard. If you've ever had guards and seen the dirt streaks from "leak thru" you know what I mean. This bead eliminates it. You will see this better in later shots.

REAR WHEEL

Fourth Pic:
This just shows the 3 rivets you pull (2 from in the wheel well and the third is under the wheel well/fender. This is for the rear install -- VERY easy!
You put in two clips (on to the actual fender) and screw the guard in. Finally you push a new rivet into the bottom. Again I used Black silicone to “seal” the assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic 1
Finished Rear Install
Pic 2
Finished front Install
Pic 3
A before shot
Pic 4:
Tight shot of front install note screw is in the hole you must drill the push rivet is installed and you can see teh bead of caulk sealing the install.
Oic 5:
Finished and Yes.. It's Miller time!
Totl install time less than 1 hour. With practice -- 1/2 hour!

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rick,
Looking good (and the corona too :cheers: ! So how much did you pay for the splash guards and did you get them from GM parts? They're a $159 option that I ordered.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
They look great! You made it simple with excellent photo's.

I got up and checked out what my dealer posted for cost on my purchase order. $207 Now I assume that is installed but it does not so state installed .. just splash guards $207.

I may end up following in your foot steps. :thumbs:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Definitely very easy to install yourself. 45min max.:) Only thing special needed is a small ratchet type phillips screwdriver to tighten the screws on the back splashguard due to the small space in front of the rear tire.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks Rick, I gotta get those...... great pics...... :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DARZSKY said:
Rick,
Looking good (and the corona too :cheers: ! So how much did you pay for the splash guards and did you get them from GM parts? They're a $159 option that I ordered.
Bought them for $120.00 bucks but have seen them as cheap as 89...

My dealer wanted $189 + 95 in labor.. No Thanks..

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Rick,
What is that on your valve stem?

·
Registered
295 Posts
they look great...will get them for my black onyx

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Way to go, buddy. Exceptional post. Now I know that this is a job that I can do myself when I get the black one!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Looks great, I was very fortunate my dealer installed them for free. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GaryH said:
Rick,
What is that on your valve stem?
Tire Minders. They have been mentioned in a few posts here. I am terrible when it comes to air pressure maint. These will turn red if they go below recommended pressure.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Tire Minders. They have been mentioned in a few posts here. I am terrible when it comes to air pressure maint. These will turn red if they go below recommended pressure.
They are looking a little heavy. Did you have to rebalance your (front) tyres?

·
Registered
50 Posts
where have you seen them for 120 or as low as 89, I need to get them and do not want to pay the 177 my dealer quoted me.
just for 4 pieces of plastic.:banghead:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
C20LET_50 said:
They are looking a little heavy. Did you have to rebalance your (front) tyres?
They are very light hardly any weight at all... Did not rebalance and have not felt/heard anything...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sunscrn said:
where have you seen them for 120 or as low as 89, I need to get them and do not want to pay the 177 my dealer quoted me.
just for 4 pieces of plastic.:banghead:
Since this site has rules about plugging non-participating vendors -- just search Google - Sky Accessories -- you'll find genuine SKY Saturn parts at much better prices...
These were bought via a Saturn Dealer in Georgia!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rick,
many thanks, boy it sure pays to read this forum, I haven't been on in weeks.

Those are the Saturn guards? I remember discussion in the Spring about buying the Solstice guards b/c they were longer or bigger.

nice pics and instructions, I'm not real confident doing engine stuff but looks like even I could get these on. probably worth it to save from dings and scrapes, excess dirt.

nice job.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts