Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the XM Direct can be added to the Sky as an aftermarket add-on? I did not order XM on my Sky, but did order the upgraded radio. I would think that all of the controls would be there and I could just plug in the XM Direct. This is the aftermarket XM that is mounted discreetly and is controlled through an XM enabled radio.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmdirect/index.jsp

·
Registered
160 Posts
jrarant said:
Does anyone know if the XM Direct can be added to the Sky as an aftermarket add-on? I did not order XM on my Sky, but did order the upgraded radio. I would think that all of the controls would be there and I could just plug in the XM Direct. This is the aftermarket XM that is mounted discreetly and is controlled through an XM enabled radio.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmdirect/index.jsp
Good Question. I was wondering the same.
:cheers:

·
Registered
669 Posts
The radio on the SKY is a Delphi and the XM Direct does not have an adapter for it.

I know, it's a bummer...I didn't get XM either, but my son did on his ION and I wish I had gotten it now. There are several threads on the Solstice forum about this topic...seems the only way to get XM is with an add-on stand alone unit.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the story I've heard.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
qwack said:
The radio on the SKY is a Delphi and the XM Direct does not have an adapter for it.

I know, it's a bummer...I didn't get XM either, but my son did on his ION and I wish I had gotten it now. There are several threads on the Solstice forum about this topic...seems the only way to get XM is with an add-on stand alone unit.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the story I've heard.
I think your correct about that one.

·
Registered
623 Posts
There is another way. But it involves some serious dealer work, you have to go back to the dealer and order a whole new Radio Head Unit with the XM built in, and then get them to run a wire to the back where they will replace the OnStar Antenna with the XM/OnStar Antenna. I assume this would be much more expensive than buying it off the line.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Where is the unit (as shown in the link of post #1) placed in our current Skys? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Where is the unit (as shown in the link of post #1) placed in our current Skys? Anyone know?
I was just informed the other day by my service manager that they integrated the on star & xm into the one antenna on the back...:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
agirltrucker said:
I was just informed the other day by my service manager that they integrated the on star & xm into the one antenna on the back...:thumbs:
Ah, yes, I think that is the case for the antenna... however does that mean the receiver box is built in to the in-dash head unit? Or somewhere else in the car is there a receiver box?

I guess I should have been more specific:
A lot of XM setups involve an antenna (shared with Onstar on the Sky) and a small receiver box (see pic in post #1) which connects to the head unit. I just was wondering if the small receiver box is external (and if so where it is in the car) or is the function of the receiver box incorporated in to the dash head unit?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I wanted Sirius so I didn't get the XM upgrade.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
SKYtime said:
I wanted Sirius so I didn't get the XM upgrade.
Disclaimer: The following post is not intended to start arguments over which satellite radio service is better

Yeah I had both services (XM and Sirius) for a while... pretty similar in the music, comedy, traffic, ect. The major difference (to me) was in the talk and sports offered by the services.

Sirius has Howard Stern (who I never listen to, but I know a lot of people do) and also has exclusive rights to NFL broadcasts and other sports like the NCAA basketball tournament. XM has exclusive rights to MLB and also airs coverage of all ACC football games (Go Hokies!) and so I found myself over on that service more.

I really wish the equipment was interchangeable between the two services, I know Sirius has a really cool MP3/portable receiver now (XM I think does also now) and it would be great if we could use the XM OEM equipment with the Monsoon dash to listen to Sirius without the need of an external piece of equipment. Though there is the external input.

I ended up dropping Sirius (mainly because it’s not the football season) and I have XM services in the Sky and on a portable XM "walkman".

Basically though, regardless of the provider, I LOVE satellite radio.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1994SC2

I knew there was a reason we were speaking the same language! GO HOKIES! (I may live in SC now but I am a VT girl at heart.) You picked up on what I was asking right away. I am not sure, but feel like there must be a separate satellite unit in the Sky somewhere as the head unit looks the same with or without the XM. I think I am going to go by my dealership and see if the service manager can look it up on those handy dandy CDs they have that tell all about the Sky.

I did find one place on eBay that says they are selling the XM unit with the cables for GM models, but they weren't sure if it would work with the Sky. They said if the stereo says satellite ready that their bundle will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TERK-XM-RADIO-DIRECT-KIT-FOR-GM-VEHICLES-XMDGMK-CHEVY_W0QQitemZ9729089275QQcategoryZ60206QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
agirltrucker said:
hmmmm... was my understanding that the OnStar and XM antennas were integrated only if you bought the XM package. That is to say, the standard OnStar antenna does not include an XM antenna...no XM option purchased, no XM antenna built in. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ggccg said:
hmmmm... was my understanding that the OnStar and XM antennas were integrated only if you bought the XM package. That is to say, the standard OnStar antenna does not include an XM antenna...no XM option purchased, no XM antenna built in. Could be wrong.
You are correct and that is what I bought so probably explains the 2 antennas in one.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
623 Posts
The Head Unit Contains EVERYTHING. I think on the Monsoon System it even contains the Amp. So if you want to put XM in a non-XM car you have to swap THE ENTIRE HEAD UNIT, and replace the Antenna on the back with the "Dual" one. On top of that someone gets to crawl around your car trying to run a wire (good luck getting that done without serious interior or exterior stripping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts