Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying this 2007 Sky. 54,000 miles. $6,000.
What are your thoughts on availability of parts and issues I should be concerned with?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Vehicle cover Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
I'm considering buying this 2007 Sky. 54,000 miles. $6,000.
What are your thoughts on availability of parts and issues I should be concerned with?
Parts are hit-and-miss, largely depending on your location.
Hoods are especially difficult and expensive to ship, and have proven difficult-to-impossible to repair.
The rear quarter panels are bonded to the chassis making them also difficult to repair.

I would do a "local" search for body parts before committing to the purchase.

Reactions: shabby

·
Registered
881 Posts
With damage on both sides that's priced way too high for that condition. Especially considering body parts are hard to come by and expensive to ship unless you buy another donor vehicle.

Also note the rear quarter panel is epoxied to the frame. It's not an easy swap to my understanding.

Surprisingly for consideration, I was able to actually find those parts doing an eBay search for each body part:
Hood -$1,000 New
Driver's Front Fender -$550 New
Driver's Door-$550 New
Driver's Rear Quarter Panel -$200 Used, Local pick up only.
Passenger Front Fender -$500 Used
Passenger Rear Quarter Panel -$200 Used, Local pick up only
You will also need to figure out what brackets are damaged and interior components, plus the cost to have everything painted. You could easily be looking at $3k just in parts, plus paint for another $2k-$3k in paintwork and fitting unless you can do it yourself. Is that a $11k-$12k car when it's done? Maybe, it depends on the title being clean, but with that much damage I doubt it. That car looks like it would make a great organ donor sad to say.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looks like it is a 2.4. Offer the guy a grand, then part it out for twice that. The headlights and taillights will get you close to the 1k mark. Motor and trans both good? There's cheddar. Wheels? More coming back. Obviously body panels aren'takong you any cash. Maybe the decklid though? Tulip panel would go fast.

It'd be work, but you could make some profit if you got it for the right price. One way or another, it's a headache foe the current owner in that shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. I figured parts were expensive but didn't realize how overpriced the car is - especially considering it's a salvage title.

Thanks for the info.

I restore and modify vehicles as needed for converting to electric. This was going to be an electric conversion.
Currently restoring and converting a 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider:
Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
I restore and modify vehicles as needed for converting to electric. This was going to be an electric conversion.
Currently restoring and converting a 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider:
That is pretty interesting.

Did you look at the space available inside that Sky while you were looking at it? There isn't much. It is also a pretty heavy chassis, and has a lot of tire, so not great for conversion.

That said, if you do a conversion, please post information about it. I think it would be quite fascinating.

Reactions: Slotman25

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Generally, I use Nissan Leaf battery modules which are about 1.5" x 9" x 12", and about 8 volts. The leaf uses 48 modules - 400volts. Individual modules can be placed any orientation, any configuration (parallel, series), and anywhere they'll fit.
I don't worry too much about weight. Tires are not a concern.

My first conversion was ten years ago, and I managed to cram 23 lead acid batteries (1200lbs) into a '76 Corvette - 11 in front and 12 in the rear. Ended up with a 50-50 weight distribution.
Rectangle Wood Flooring Gas Box
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Bumper

Lots of photos on Flickr: https://flickr.com/photos/emack/albums

Nissan Leaf battery pack.

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

I'm cramming 96 modules in the Alfa.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

16 behind the seats - with room for the top.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

Another 36 in the trunk (picture is 24)
Product Office supplies Office equipment Home appliance Gas

and a bunch more in the engine/motor compartment.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the information. I figured parts were expensive but didn't realize how overpriced the car is - especially considering it's a salvage title.

Thanks for the info.

Currently restoring and converting a 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider: View attachment 119489
Well ****. You e got more than enough skill to part out that Sky if you chose to.

Do you have a YouTube channel? I'd love to subscribe and follow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is pretty interesting.

Did you look at the space available inside that Sky while you were looking at it? There isn't much. It is also a pretty heavy chassis, and has a lot of tire, so not great for conversion.

That said, if you do a conversion, please post information about it. I think it would be quite fascinating.
But for an LS conversion . . . ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Generally, I use Nissan Leaf battery modules which are about 1.5" x 9" x 12", and about 8 volts. The leaf uses 48 modules - 400volts. Individual modules can be placed any orientation, any configuration (parallel, series), and anywhere they'll fit.
I don't worry too much about weight. Tires are not a concern.

My first conversion was ten years ago, and I managed to cram 23 lead acid batteries (1200lbs) into a '76 Corvette - 11 in front and 12 in the rear. Ended up with a 50-50 weight distribution.
View attachment 119494 View attachment 119495

Lots of photos on Flickr: https://flickr.com/photos/emack/albums

Nissan Leaf battery pack.

View attachment 119490
I'm cramming 96 modules in the Alfa.
View attachment 119491
16 behind the seats - with room for the top.

View attachment 119492
Another 36 in the trunk (picture is 24)
View attachment 119493

and a bunch more in the engine/motor compartment.
My good friend Dave did an electric DeLorean conversion - damn thing was fast - 13 Sears lead acid batteries - now he updated it to Tesla lithium batteries
If you google Dave Delman electric Delorean he has a web site and video update

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
If you are a body shop rat - and you have the time to work on it - it could be a worthwhile project.

You'll never be able to get it to look new again.

If it were me - I'd pass.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I'd like to hear the end result of this question / story. Did you buy this wrecked Sky? Details please?.... Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts