Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has installed an after-market alarm? I was wondering if anyone has any sugestions?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
As a Snap-On Tools dealer I have seen a significant increase in electrical problems after alarms are installed. Certainly some are caused by installation errors. But increasingly I am seeing computer systems that don't like having "things" attached to them. When you choose an alarm system, get a signed GUARANTY that the installer will be 100% responsible for correction of ANY problems caused by the installation. Also, contact the manufacturer to assure yourself that you are dealing with an authorized installer and hat the manufactured can assure you that their system is compatible with you car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tuesday I'm scheduled to have a Viper 5000 installed, plus the proximity sensor. I understand that this is just an alarm system and not an anti-theft device. I'm considering also having the Ravelco plug put in as anti-theft. Both together add up to about $1000.

One thing other that I'm doing is installing a louder horn, which is connected to the alarm system. It's a Stebel nautilus and 139dB. If nothing else, the thief will probably mess their pants from the surprise of such a loud noise.

==Paul>

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Tuesday I'm scheduled to have a Viper 5000 installed, plus the proximity sensor. I understand that this is just an alarm system and not an anti-theft device. I'm considering also having the Ravelco plug put in as anti-theft. Both together add up to about $1000.

One thing other that I'm doing is installing a louder horn, which is connected to the alarm system. It's a Stebel nautilus and 139dB. If nothing else, the thief will probably mess their pants from the surprise of such a loud noise.

==Paul>
If all works out well, we all will want to know. I will certainly want to alarm my Redline. If there are problems, well ....................... :banghead:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of either installing the viper or a clifford alarm, but i'll make sure about getting the gurantee in writing!
J

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

==Paul>
I am interested in installing a louder horn. Did anyone do this and was it costly?

·
Registered
18,184 Posts
what is the purpose of an alarm...u have on star...the alarm means nothing....just call on star and they locate your vehicle...just like lojack...save your money. What is the purpose of fire and theft on your car insurance policy if u believe an alarm will save your car from the chop shop? Just drop it !

·
Registered
290 Posts
The best Car Alarm on the market is made by CompuStar...has a 2 way pager with monitoring, remote start and a 2 mile range!!! Have one and I love it:D

www.compustar.com

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what is the purpose of an alarm...u have on star...the alarm means nothing....just call on star and they locate your vehicle...just like lojack...save your money. What is the purpose of fire and theft on your car insurance policy if u believe an alarm will save your car from the chop shop? Just drop it !

ummm, maybe to make the guy think twice about breaking your window as mine was!! Total cost of repair = 1000.00. I could of bought 2 alarms for that amount.

As suggested above, some alarms aren't considered "anti-theft" devices. In my case... I don't want the alarm to prevent theft of my vehicle as I really don't see that as being common enough in my area to have to worry about.
what is common is window smash, snatch and run scenarios.

Most of these type of break ins are done by either kid gangbangers or crackheads hoping to score a few bucks so a car alarm is usually enough to send them walking on to the next victim. Viper 5000 for 500.00 probably would have saved me money a few weeks ago. Cool thing about many of these new alarms is even if they do have the balls to ignore the blinking light and smash my window.... the alarm system will page me and I can take care of things on my own... :nono:

After my break in, the car alarm just shot to the top of my to do list.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
The best Car Alarm on the market is made by CompuStar...has a 2 way pager with monitoring, remote start and a 2 mile range!!! Have one and I love it:D

www.compustar.com
Pretty much every company in aftermarket auto security offers all of these things, and most are manufactured by the exact same Asian suppliers. None are really much better than any others. Once you decide on the features and range you want to have, price and the competency of your installer should be your main concerns. Appearance of the remote is usually a factor for me too, but not a big one.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I agree to an extent if it's only an alarm, but the proximity sensor can be a big help if it's configured correctly. Someone parking next to you may actually be a bit cautious swinging their door open if your car chirps at them as they do it. When using a 2-way system, the early warning can be enough to alert you in time to stop an evildoer before they can do to much damage or at least be able to give a plate or description to the police. Also keep in mind that with LoJack or OnStar, tracking the vehicle can be a bad thing for many people as it's often worse for the owner if the car is recovered.

·
Registered
87 Posts
clifford makes a really nice one too (50.5x)......it has all the bells and whistles plus a two way remote starter that will start your car from a mile away.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I JUST WAS WONERING ABOUT A LOUNDER HORN, I'LL CK WITH THE DEALERSHIP.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Many thanks U.S.M.C........this is the only forum I linger on, so thanks for the info..:D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I just got a Viper 791vx with Remote Start, shock sensor, Turbo Timer, motion detector, paging alarm plus a bunch of other stuff that I have no idea why I would want it, for a little under $500.00. I really like the alarm, but the guys that sold it to me were a bunch of bozos. Hopefully I will not have problems, but I wish I would of checked these guys out better, I am almost sure they are not Authorized Direct Electronics Dealers. The Auto Start requires an extra module and they will need to put one of your keys in the module for it to get past the PassKeyIII system.

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

It is really cool I start my car from a mile away! :wtf:

:lol:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
No Alarm... Zero deductible comprehensive coverage....:thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts