Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am actually a Sirius fan over XM. Has anyone replaced their radio yet with a deck installed radio/cd player? If so, what brand/make/model? I have gone to Circuit City.com and Best Buy.com but their websites say the radios are not compatible with Sky.

Also, anyone know if you change out radios will the tuning and volume controls on the steering wheel still work with the after market radio?

Thanks,

Duhricker

·
Registered
251 Posts
I see no one responded so here is my .02! I talked to Circuit City and they stated if you use a special adapter it will save all the functions of the door ring as well as Onstar, but stated that I would lose function of the steering wheel controls for the radio (which I am fine with bc I never use them anyways). I need to get back to the installer because he was looking up if the Onstar adapter was compatible to our cars. If so he stated he could install ANY after market head unit that I wanted, but if not he could still do it and I will lose Onstar and door ring. He said he would probably have to tap into current harness bc he did not have the correct wiring harness yet, then fix it later on. He also said he could take a GM standard mounting faceplate and customize it to look nice fitting the after market head unit mesh. Here is a stereo thread I started a while back with the harness pic and some other nice info.
Ultimate Stereo Thread

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a lot of research into the steering wheel controls when I replaced the radio in my firebird. It turns out you can still use the steering wheel controls with ANY after market radio that has a remote control.

There is a small device you can buy that taps into the control signal from the wheel and converts it to an IR signal. You just have to splice into one wire and then mount the IR sensor somewhere that it has Line of Sight with the head unit. Then there is a simple programming process that lets you map any of your steering wheel buttons to any of the remote control buttons. This also means you can set up your steering wheel for any function your remote has.

Once it's installed I can re-program it in 30seconds while driving down the road (with the help of a passenger). It's just like programing a home theater remote. Press the button on the steering wheel, then press the remote button you want it to memorize. Repeat until you are satisfied.

·
Registered
351 Posts
duhricker said:
Hi,

I am actually a Sirius fan over XM. Has anyone replaced their radio yet with a deck installed radio/cd player? If so, what brand/make/model? I have gone to Circuit City.com and Best Buy.com but their websites say the radios are not compatible with Sky.

Also, anyone know if you change out radios will the tuning and volume controls on the steering wheel still work with the after market radio?

Thanks,

Duhricker
How about a Sirius reciever? Walmart has one that has an amber readout that matches the Monsoon radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OnStar interface for Saturn Sky for aftermarket radios

Axxess LAN OnStar® Interface for Non-Amplified Systems (GMOS-LAN-03)
Compatible with non-amplified 2006-07 Chevrolet HHR, Pontiac Solstice, and Saturn Sky vehicles
Retains OnStar® with adjustable volume output
Retains chime with adjustable volume output
Output for audible turn signal sound
Retains RAP feature
Navigation output included
USB update interface compatible

Sincerely John T.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I used the GMOS-LAN-03 harness to install my Pioneer AVIC D3 and it worked quite well. You will need the GMOS-LAN-04 adapter if you have the Monsson system installed. That unit will work with amplified systems while retaining all the chimes and buzzers, onstar etc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did a lot of research into the steering wheel controls when I replaced the radio in my firebird. It turns out you can still use the steering wheel controls with ANY after market radio that has a remote control.

There is a small device you can buy that taps into the control signal from the wheel and converts it to an IR signal. You just have to splice into one wire and then mount the IR sensor somewhere that it has Line of Sight with the head unit. Then there is a simple programming process that lets you map any of your steering wheel buttons to any of the remote control buttons. This also means you can set up your steering wheel for any function your remote has.

Once it's installed I can re-program it in 30seconds while driving down the road (with the help of a passenger). It's just like programing a home theater remote. Press the button on the steering wheel, then press the remote button you want it to memorize. Repeat until you are satisfied.
That sure beats my idea of tearing apart the remote and hardwiring it into the steering wheel to allow it to still function. Guess I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 2 Cents

I bought a JVC 5.1 wide screen. It came with a remote control. Why even worry about the steering controls. When the remote of the radio has even more options. And it can be mounted where every you want it. I never used the steering controls or onstar. So I did not connect them. I tell you, I don't miss any of it. An with touch screen, who needs steering control.

:D

Darryl

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
good info!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought a JVC 5.1 wide screen. It came with a remote control. Why even worry about the steering controls. When the remote of the radio has even more options. And it can be mounted where every you want it. I never used the steering controls or onstar. So I did not connect them. I tell you, I don't miss any of it. An with touch screen, who needs steering control.

:D

Darryl
For some people, it is the fact that there will now be useless buttons on the steering wheel. So if they are going to be there, I would like to be able to use them. In the Grand Prix we used to have, I would use the buttons on the steering wheel. Not everyone just ignores this convenience feature like some people do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts