Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if and where I can purchase an after market oil filter, or do I have to purchase from the dealership?

THANKS

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gracias! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Better filters ............

Do a Google search on oil filter comparisons. There is a lot of information on oil filters. Some are very good and some are...well...I won't use them in any of my cars and that includes Fram. For not much more $, you can get a much better filtering, better performing, better constructed filter. The really good ones include the Mobil 1, Purolator Pure 1 and AC Delco Gold. Years ago I switched from using Fram in all my cars to the Purolator Pure 1 based on a comprehensive independent comparison study of many different filter brands. What a difference the Purolator Pure 1 made! The oil stayed cleaner longer, more consistant oil pressure from new to change out and from cold to hot. It solved the cold start lifter clatter in one car I had due to the better anti drain back valve design. For what it's worth.

Has any one found magnetic oil drain plugs for the SKYs engine, manual trans and rear end?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do a Google search on oil filter comparisons. There is a lot of information on oil filters. Some are very good and some are...well...I won't use them in any of my cars and that includes Fram. For not much more $, you can get a much better filtering, better performing, better constructed filter. The really good ones include the Mobil 1, Purolator Pure 1 and AC Delco Gold. Years ago I switched from using Fram in all my cars to the Purolator Pure 1 based on a comprehensive independent comparison study of many different filter brands. What a difference the Purolator Pure 1 made! The oil stayed cleaner longer, more consistant oil pressure from new to change out and from cold to hot. It solved the cold start lifter clatter in one car I had due to the better anti drain back valve design. For what it's worth.

Has any one found magnetic oil drain plugs for the SKYs engine, manual trans and rear end?

Truth is Fram is number one in oil filters

they isn't anything wrong with them

your car will be fine, they are easy to get and the last thing I am going to get anal about is a 7.00 dollar oil filter.

Not to mention these are cartridge filters in the first place so all the baloney about cardboard caps , ADB valve composition are moot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do a Google search on oil filter comparisons. There is a lot of information on oil filters. Some are very good and some are...well...I won't use them in any of my cars and that includes Fram.

I saw this comparison a few years ago. Frams are cheaply made, they have a leaf spring inside instead of a coil spring. They also have cardboard, were others have metal. I stopped using Frams

·
Registered
290 Posts
You would prefer fiberglass instead of cardboard? Seems irrelevant. Change your synth out every 2K and your engine will live forever (virtually).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not to mention these are cartridge filters in the first place so all the baloney about cardboard caps , ADB valve composition are moot
That about says it all.

Nothing wrong with Frams, and just to incite some clarity here it isn't cardboard.

It is a polymer resin impregnated fiber product.

But some may call it "cardboard" because they read it on some forum ?

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
What filter comes from the factory on our 2007 Skys? Are these screw on cans?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
don't know about the drain or tranny but the rear has a magnetic plug already.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Motor Oil Myths and Facts

Here's an interesting site that gave me plenty to think about--Has nice supporting sites, I have not finished reading everything yet, but I thought it would be good to share with those that are not to mechanically inclined and might perhaps help those from getting scammed. Like everything else in life, information and education and trying to be informed by reading is invaluable. Especially from those who state change your oil at 2000 miles--Also always be skeptical, if its to good to be true--its usually blah blah blah--

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Oil Change Intervals

Read carefully the "summary" at the end of this, on what I think is a well written thought out piece--Alot of the end pertains to our Sky's IMHO-:D
:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
oil filters

Regards oil filters, the new Fram tough Gard has the highest pass filtration efficiency of any filter on the market and has a silicone antidrain back valve which a post had previously mentioned. On engine start up the first place that the engine draws oil from is the filter so if it is empty you are getting milliseconds of dry start so the benefit for engine wear is large.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use Mobil 15k and fram tg on my PT turbo. I change my oil like Mobil says, every 15k. I have 76k on my car and there are no problems. People get way to carried away with this subject. Once a car reaches operating temp. there is virtually no wear on internal parts. No reason to change oil every 3k, especially if you are using Mobil.:nono:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to agree with Mark in IN

I have already ordered my Pure one filters for my Sky.

I have a automotive service facility. We use pure one on all our personal vehicles (autos, motorcyles)

I will also be using Amsoil in the Sky.

My hubby did alot of research on filters. Just thought I'd share

·
Registered
30 Posts
Regards oil filters, the new Fram tough Gard has the highest pass filtration efficiency of any filter on the market and has a silicone antidrain back valve which a post had previously mentioned. On engine start up the first place that the engine draws oil from is the filter so if it is empty you are getting milliseconds of dry start so the benefit for engine wear is large.
Yes I know they are great filters.

I guess being number one has its disadvantages, everyone is out gunning for you.

To all those complaining that the filters have end caps of a material other than metal ---

you do know that the filter holder on the SKY is made out of plastic right ?
Does that make them JUNK ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts