Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was reading my other thread " who are you, where have you been, and how fast will you get there? " and I noticed a common theme, most of you redliners plan to leave your cars stock. Do I stand alone in the desire to make this car faster than gm could? I fear that the aftermarket support for this car will take a long time and possibly be extremely limited with so few people willing to push the limits. I was spoiled with my last car ( 350z ) the aftermarket was huge and fast possibly the greatest tuner car of this decade. So all you tuners, modders and all around speed junkies please stand up and make yourself heard. Lets push this car to the limits together. 300whp here we come. What do you gear heads think this car needs? I'm guessing a nice set of cat deletes and a full 3 inch exhaust, a manual boost controller to hold that 20 psi to redline and a good ecu reflash will get us at least to 250-260 whp. What do you guys and gals think??? Discuss.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well I was reading my other thread " who are you, where have you been, and how fast will you get there? " and I noticed a common theme, most of you redliners plan to leave your cars stock. Do I stand alone in the desire to make this car faster than gm could? I fear that the aftermarket support for this car will take a long time and possibly be extremely limited with so few people willing to push the limits. I was spoiled with my last car ( 350z ) the aftermarket was huge and fast possibly the greatest tuner car of this decade. So all you tuners, modders and all around speed junkies please stand up and make yourself heard. Lets push this car to the limits together. 300whp here we come. What do you gear heads think this car needs? I'm guessing a nice set of cat deletes and a full 3 inch exhaust, a manual boost controller to hold that 20 psi to redline and a good ecu reflash will get us at least to 250-260 whp. What do you guys and gals think??? Discuss.

228 whp is stock on the RL.... getting it to 250-260 should be an easy task..

There will be tons of aftermarket products, services and mods coming out very soon at / after the SEMA show in Las Vegas...

Stay "tuned"!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
you're not alone. I too will be modifying my future redline. By the time I get it, there should be plenty of aftermarket stuff.

I plan on intake, possibly headers, high flow cat, exhaust (i've also read from one of the major exhaust companies that their research showed there was no gain in HP from increasing the stock 2.5'' piping, so 3'' is unnecessary overkill).

Boost controllers as well as ignition systems will come later for me, as well as the ECU tuning.

300 HP shouldn't be that hard of a milestone to reach.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think 400HP is the brass ring. Not that I'm going for that kind of HP but I will not be leaving such a car stock. There are just too many pretty shiny things to put on to make it go faster. I'd also like to narrow the rear end and put some real meat behind the seat, after the GM warranty expires of course. Headers, polishing, big bore, unrestictive exhaust, ECU Flashing, larger turbo, ignition mods are all part of my plans. I want a Mustang eater. Who knows, it might make more sense to go Mallet and build on that platform. Or, who will be first to drop a "Hemi" in. Sky's the limit!:cool: :thumbs: :willy: :D :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. That was fast I'm glad I'm not the only one in the mod boat. I'm afraid you guys might be overestimating the turbo on this car. It is realatively maxxed out. As an example a mitsu evo 9 has about 240whp stock. With a flash, exhuast, and manual boost controller you would be at about 310 whp. That is an impressive gain, I do not expect this car to have that much room to go w/ a tune. I have seen the compressor graphs of both cars overlaid and the turbo on this sucker is far weaker and has almost no room to go. I am actually curious is the evo turbo could be made to fit, it is a dual scroll turbo and runs at about 20psi stock on the evo and works flawlessly with the mivec cams. Anyone got an answer to that?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm going to wait 'till I get mine before I do performance wise-1st things first better tires

·
Registered
239 Posts
My brother owns a redline ION....same engine as redline sky engine but instead of turbo its supercharged. Anyway trust me theres plenty of support for the engine already. I know a few of the Ion redline guys have gotten to the 400hp levels. Anyway do a search for redlineforums, im not posting the link since I dont want to upset the gods.

:cheers:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm afraid you guys might be overestimating the turbo on this car. It is realatively maxxed out. As an example a mitsu evo 9 has about 240whp stock. With a flash, exhuast, and manual boost controller you would be at about 310 whp.
Another example of maxxed out:
The 06 WRX Turbo is relatively maxxed out as well. A reflash and 3" exhaust will give the '06 WRX 23whp gain while the '02-'05 WRX's got a 55whp with the same mods.

The '06 is so maxxed out that all the 23whp gain is coming from the exhaust. If you were to just tune the '06 WRX with NO exhaust you would gain 0whp and 7wtq.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My brother owns a redline ION....same engine as redline sky engine but instead of turbo its supercharged.
:confused:I thought the Sky Redline engine was a brand spanking new. DIRECT INJECTION, DUAL CAM PHASING and OIL-COOLED PISTONS are all new to the ECOTEC line, right? :confused:

Plus, the ION only has 205hp while the Sky Redline has 260hp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know its possible to get great power out of this motor. Just look at the solstice drift car. my only concern is how hard it will be. Matt that was a good example of what I think we are up against. Its all a matter of time. I was one of the 1st 100 or so people to go greddy TT kit on my z. I remember the progression. At 1st 350whp was the breaking point for stock internals then 400 then 500 its all about working together and forming a big base of knowledge. Also Jrinky its tought to compare a 2.4L with aftermarket turbo to that of the 2.0l turbo motor but I belive the bottom ends are similar so we know the car can handle it. Plus supposedly our clutch is a bit stronger also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll be anxious to mod it... intake, suspension, chip, exhaust... My goal is 350bhp (which, based on my calculations, is 300 at the rear wheels).

300whp on this car would give me the guts to race anything I pull up next to at a red light... at least anything that it typically seen in the Boston area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is that evo and sky redline merged compressor map I mentioned. Stolen from the gxp forum props to beau.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Anyone got a better map of the stock compressor? I can't read the numbers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts