Saturn Sky Forum banner

How would you like the aftermarket exhaust to exit the car?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm taking a poll to see how many of you would perfer aftermarket exhuasts, and if so the way they are exiting the rear.

·
Registered
623 Posts
More importantly, I'd upgrade to a Cat-Back Performance System, and I'd widen the pipe from the Turbo to the Cat on the Redline version. Easier Breathing Engine on the Redline = 300 HP.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DuSpinnst said:
More importantly, I'd upgrade to a Cat-Back Performance System, and I'd widen the pipe from the Turbo to the Cat on the Redline version. Easier Breathing Engine on the Redline = 300 HP.
Of course, but most aftermarket tuners are going to throw that down a 3" pipe, into a cheesy 4" garbage can of an exaust tip. I know I had a 450 whp eclipse with that exhaust, and for some reason, these exhaust manufactures seem to think that if you have a i-4 engine that you want a giant exhaust tip sticking sideways out the back of one side ?!?!

This car is bueatifull, and a good flowing exhaust that compliments the lines rather than distracts from them is the goal of this poll. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Solstice and Sky have 2.5" tubing which I'm betting is sufficient for the GXP/Redline power levels. Solsticeforum sponsors have said the current 2.5" tubing should easily work for ~300HP applications. One of the companies tested out 3" tubing and said the higher cost plus ricer sound far outweighed any actual performance benefit.

I want dual exiting tips on my Sol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brentil said:
Solstice and Sky have 2.5" tubing which I'm betting is sufficient for the GXP/Redline power levels. Solsticeforum sponsors have said the current 2.5" tubing should easily work for ~300HP applications. One of the companies tested out 3" tubing and said the higher cost plus ricer sound far outweighed any actual performance benefit.

I want dual exiting tips on my Sol.

Ok, if that's the case, then how are ppl getting 7-10 rwhp out of an aftermarket exhaust system. What did they throw a few 90 degree bends in there just for good measure?

That's almost as much hp as u can expect from a good V8 exhaust sytem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Ok, if that's the case, then how are ppl getting 7-10 rwhp out of an aftermarket exhaust system. What did they throw a few 90 degree bends in there just for good measure?

That's almost as much hp as u can expect from a good V8 exhaust sytem.
one of the threads on the solstice forum explains..... the stock muffler and exhaust is very restrictive. One of the threads had pictures of the cut open stock muffler.... just seeing that picture will probably explain it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think a dual exhaust would nicely balance out the Sky's rear. I'm sure it won't be long before someone puts out a muffler that will accomodate this simple modification. Could care less about having two pipes coming all the way from the engine but just want things balanced. I'm watching and waiting for this and will go to one when it comes out. To me it's not about power and speed but about a well great looks:thumbs: .
Jayne

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I am going to go to my mod. shop ... and let them help me out with these types of things... they did great on my BMW...:cool: and i trust them on this..... SkyBaby-07

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Of course any change to the exhause would require a new panel where the existing exhaust and backup light are housed. I really like the look of the dual exhaust and I am considering it but I am really resisting modifications to the origional car. It's hard to decide. I'm torn.

Of course I will have a new 2007 Sky to ride around in while I make that decision. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The reason you put a different exhaust on a new car is either for a bit more performance or better sound. However, if you do either, I think it is best to keep it looking as stock as possible. I love sleepers, let your opposition think you are running mild until you dust them! :cool:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I looked at the back end of the Sky at the auto show and it looks like you could just make another opening on the other side if you carefully cut it out or wait for the Opel or the Sol GXP and use one of theirs. Just a thought..

·
Registered
623 Posts
SaturnSkyDude said:
I looked at the back end of the Sky at the auto show and it looks like you could just make another opening on the other side if you carefully cut it out or wait for the Opel or the Sol GXP and use one of theirs. Just a thought..
Once the Redline is out or even prior you can bet there will be a "Performance" Accessory upgrade for the regular model that does just that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I give it till end of summer at the latest before RK Sport has a dual exhaust system with rear facia. It didn't take them long to realize it would sell well with the solstice, I don't think it will take them long for the SKY.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm probably going to be one of the few that would like to see a Sky with a full 3" turbo back exhaust replacing the cat with nothing bigger than a 3.5" tip sticking sitting flush with the rear bumper. Minimal bends for the best flow, SS304 for the durability and most likely v-band clamps for a virtually leakless seal. Absolutely no resonators aside from the muffler.

I think a dual exhaust system setup on a single exhaust rear bumper would look foolish and poorly designed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with most of you as well. I would like to see a nice free flowing dual exhuaust that utilizes something like the stock tips. I don't want the ricey sound either just a nice sound and good performance

·
Registered
623 Posts
Astronomer said:
What does rice sound like? :confused:
"Rice" is those 4 banger cars with the coffee can muffler, think some young punk in a Civic who has a muffler you could stick a fist in. Then think of the sound it makes. That is the sound of "Rice"

1 - 20 of 77 Posts