Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased an aftermarket radio from amazon for my 2008 SKY base and so far everything with the installation has gone well. I picked up a fuse tap to tap my ACC wire to the fuse box today (since my wiring harness didnt have a red wire itself to connect to), switched on the car, and have power.

However, there is no sound coming from it. Also, my blinkers aren't making any sounds now (I went to the front and back of the car and they are on...but no sound).

Anybody know what I couldve missed?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Your harness should of had a larger yellow (battery), black (ground), and red (accessory) wire for the main power to the radio. The red wire should be ignition powered so it doesn't drain the battery IIRC. Your speaker wires are easy and should just be color matched like for like. It's pretty simple other than the amplifier wire if you have the monsoon system which should be a blue wire.

The blinkers are wired through the factory stereo. Most wire harness use a noisy relay to replace the blinker clicks. If your harness doesn't have one this is most likely your reason.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Yes indeed, the directional blinker "CLICK" is actually a sound that comes from the speakers. I wish I could adjust the sound to make it louder so I can hear it better. Does anyone know if the blinker volume is adjustable?

The radio in the Sky is quite an integrated system. Between the steering wheel buttons and the blinker sound, it scares me to make any such change from the stock radio. There are even technical differences (with consequences) between stock radios, some that work properly with the Monsoon Amplifier option, and stock radios that work improperly with that option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, you need another part to work with the chimes and the steering wheel controls. I'm not at home so I don't know for sure which chime box I have, but I want to say it's this one

For the steering wheel controls I have the ASWC-1, although it worked perfectly for the radio that was in the car when I got it, although I'm having issues with it now. I believe it's my own doing and not setting it up right though, not the product. I may try again next week when I have a couple days off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have the Monsoon amp and speakers from the factory, you either will have to rewire your head unit directly to the speakers thus bypassing the Monsoon amp; or you will have to find an adapter harness that provides the "amp-enable" signal to the Monsoon. It is a one wire PWM signal which, depending on the signal, tells the amp to turn on only the driver's speaker, both front speakers, or all speakers -- something along those lines. There is a post somewhere, maybe the solstice forum, which clarifies the type of signal. Anyway, a harness from crutch field will solve that for you, but you have to choose the option that is compatible with the "premium audio" or something similar. That is, if you do have the Monsoon system. A way to check if you have it is looking inside your glovebox for the RPO sticker, if your sticker has code UQ3 then you have Monsoon and your problem is very likely absence of the amp-enable or amp-unmite signal.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The radio in the Sky is quite an integrated system. Between the steering wheel buttons and the blinker sound, it scares me to make any such change from the stock radio.
The factory system in the Sky is laughably simple to integrate compared to many other modern cars. Child's play, honestly. 😉 If you want to see a complicated system you should see the system in my pre-facelift Saab 9-3, which has a fibre optic bus that connects the controller, displays, CD player, and amplifier.

Unless you care about OnStar (does it even work anymore?), I would highly recommend you get the Axxess AX-GMLAN11 (formerly the Axxess BX-GM3) and the associated steering wheel interface. This adapter is not only cheaper, but doesn't get in the way of the audio signal, and it provides the amp turn-on that you need. The OnStar adapters are all overpriced **** that kills the sound quality and introduce noise.

The only thing you'll need to do if you have the Monsoon system, and it sounds like you do, is solder (or crimp if you're lazy) on some RCA pigtails to connect the "speaker" connections on the Axxess harness and then connect them to the pre-amp outs on your stereo.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The factory system in the Sky is laughably simple to integrate compared to many other modern cars. Child's play, honestly. 😉 If you want to see a complicated system you should see the system in my pre-facelift Saab 9-3, which has a fibre optic bus that connects the controller, displays, CD player, and amplifier.

Unless you care about OnStar (does it even work anymore?), I would highly recommend you get the Axxess AX-GMLAN11 (formerly the Axxess BX-GM3) and the associated steering wheel interface. This adapter is not only cheaper, but doesn't get in the way of the audio signal, and it provides the amp turn-on that you need. The OnStar adapters are all overpriced **** that kills the sound quality and introduce noise.

The only thing you'll need to do if you have the Monsoon system, and it sounds like you do, is solder (or crimp if you're lazy) on some RCA pigtails to connect the "speaker" connections on the Axxess harness and then connect them to the pre-amp outs on your stereo.
I recently was contacted by OnStar and was told it will no longer support the Sky and to pull my car out of the garage so they can send a signal to disable it.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
I recently was contacted by OnStar and was told it will no longer support the Sky and to pull my car out of the garage so they can send a signal to disable it.
Yes, when 3G goes away they will no longer be able to communicate with the car.

For better or worse, technology moved along.

Reactions: Wnolte1122

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It never worked in my Sky, at least not while I owned it, since I shipped it across the Atlantic... But now whoever wants to upgrade their radio in the US can finally let it go and get the better integration kit anyway. 👍

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
As far as i know, nothing in the car is "impacted" by OnStar unless a subscription to OnStar is active. there have been discussions about battery drain from the module, but I have not experienced anything that seems abnormal or excessive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts