Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had a map sensor go bad on their Redline. I had one go bad after about 2000 miles of being tuned, I have two friends with tuned LNF Cobalts and theirs went bad. We all wondered why the GM tune upgraded the sensor when they're only pushing 19-20 psi, I'm wondering if its because the stock sensor will go bad once you raise the boost.

Oh yeah and the map sensors are on national backorder so good luck getting one anytime soon. Only good thing is that the car runs fine other than a funky warm up and a CEL.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The GM upgrade kit on my car will hold 24psi and have seen 25psi. Maybe thats why they put upgraded sensors in it. Also, I have not heard of that problem before, you could just have a bad one.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not just me, it's myself and two other LNF's. The fact that the map sensors are on national backorder should say something also.

·
Registered
260 Posts
were you all tuned by different people or the same?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you tried cleaning them with electronics cleaner? I did this on my MAF sensor and it solved an issue with it. I know it's a different sensor, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My question is why use that map sensor and that location.

The sensor is supposed to read manifold pressure not IC pressure.

You can go to Summit and buy a nice 3 bar GM map run it off the manifold. Don't know what is up with this IC map stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you tried cleaning them with electronics cleaner? I did this on my MAF sensor and it solved an issue with it. I know it's a different sensor, but it's worth a shot.
Hi spiky,
What type of electronics cleaner did you use for cleaning the MAF sensor?
I'm wondering if mine is a little off because of the use of a K&N air filter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi spiky,
What type of electronics cleaner did you use for cleaning the MAF sensor?
I'm wondering if mine is a little off because of the use of a K&N air filter.
I bought actually "MAF Sensor Cleaner"

It says that on the can. It was in an Autozone shop.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My question is why use that map sensor and that location.

The sensor is supposed to read manifold pressure not IC pressure.

You can go to Summit and buy a nice 3 bar GM map run it off the manifold. Don't know what is up with this IC map stuff.
The one in the manifold is the one that goes bad. I don't think you can run another map sensor or else all the big turbo guys would have done it already.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you thought about upgrading to the GM tune and simply using their new upgraded MAP sensor...for the money you'll pay to replace the original one, you might as well spend a few hundred more and get a tune and new sensors.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The sensor is $50. The problem is I already have a tune and the GM tune is apparently on backorder as well. I would also be paying more money for less power.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might want to contact Lyndon Wester. I work closely with him testing the tunes that he has released. I know he has a GM tune kit and is working on re-tuning it for big numbers. That would make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You might want to contact Lyndon Wester. I work closely with him testing the tunes that he has released. I know he has a GM tune kit and is working on re-tuning it for big numbers. That would make it worthwhile.
This is what I am waiting for. I am going HP tuners with the Westers GM Race tune. I'll replace my Map then just use the updated GM tune from Westers.

Instant POWAH!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
This is what I am waiting for. I am going HP tuners with the Westers GM Race tune. I'll replace my Map then just use the updated GM tune from Westers.

Instant POWAH!

I'm not sure about that bro....

yeah Lyndon is working on the new GM stage 2 kit tune........but I believe the only people who will benefit from this is those who already have the GM stage 2 kit already flashed into their ECM.

the concern that I see about what you were thinking/planning is.......HPtuner which Lyndon uses can only read less than 10% of the new changes done on the new GM stage 2 kit tune.

so I think you really have to buy the GM stage 2 kit first, then have it flashed to your car.....So your pcm is flashed completely will all th 100% new changes. Then have Lyndon, send you the "wester gm race tune".....to flash the 10% of the new changes he was able to tune with HPtuner.

but Lyndon is the only guy who can answer this......if my concerns are legit....

·
Banned
177 Posts
i don't think that a gmpp tune plus a westers retune will result in much of a power differnce, i could see this method only resulting in maybe an additional 10hp. but then again what do i know lol ;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
i don't think that a gmpp tune plus a westers retune will result in much of a power differnce, i could see this method only resulting in maybe an additional 10hp. but then again what do i know lol ;)

well if Lyndon can go past 255kpa using the gm stage 2 kit ......there will be more than 10 whp increase.

the tables of the gm stage 2 kit, as stated by other tuners like Werks, are not as aggressive.....

so there's still some tuning to be done....and power to be made.....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah but for the price of a GM tune plus a Wester's tune, is it really worth it?

I'm about done with the stock turbo anyways, it's time to step it up.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yeah but for the price of a GM tune plus a Wester's tune, is it really worth it?

I'm about done with the stock turbo anyways, it's time to step it up.
yup, the tune can only do so much......especially w/o taxing the small turbo

tune can only give you so much whp.....

bigger turbo will satisfy......power hungry people like us.........

1 - 20 of 41 Posts