Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer won't take my deposit unless I am ready to buy NOW or at least in May. He has 12 Skys on the way and he says I MUST do the loan before he will take a deposit. (just started new job it aint gonna happen right now!). I don't want the car until Late June or Julyish, and he said just wait and come back in the end of May or June. I am starting to worry I won't get one by this summer.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Call me a skeptic, but I have a hard time believing that your dealer has 12 Skys "on the way". He makes it sound as if they're all gonna show up in a month's time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nscrbug said:
Call me a skeptic, but I have a hard time believing that your dealer has 12 Skys "on the way". He makes it sound as if they're all gonna show up in a month's time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah you have caught on fast!!

12 on the way = (I have 12 images allotted and will have 4-5 of them left in July...):D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were 3 people on the deposit list last month and it jumped to 7 when they got their first (white) sky. It sold in 15 minutes. (Im in the LA area, Antelope Valley). When they start getting more, i'm worried more people will get on the list and I will be screwed.

He did say there were 2 silver graphites being built next month and coming in late June or early July. Sounds kinda fishy, I put my deposit down in June and get the car in July? I guarantee whatever Skys they have coming will be pre-sold my then. I will be VERY pissed if I don't get mine until fall.

·
Registered
122 Posts
skyguy85 said:
My dealer won't take my deposit unless I am ready to buy NOW or at least in May. He has 12 Skys on the way and he says I MUST do the loan before he will take a deposit. (just started new job it aint gonna happen right now!). I don't want the car until Late June or Julyish, and he said just wait and come back in the end of May or June. I am starting to worry I won't get one by this summer.
don't do it. it would be a waste of time to do a credit application anyway since any approval from a lender is usually only good for 30 days. same with your score, it won't be accepted past 30 days. put down a deposit (make sure its refundable) and tell them they can run your credit when you purchase it :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
skyguy85 said:
There were 3 people on the deposit list last month and it jumped to 7 when they got their first (white) sky. It sold in 15 minutes. (Im in the LA area, Antelope Valley). When they start getting more, i'm worried more people will get on the list and I will be screwed.
That is very likely to happen. Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but I would be extremely surprised if this dealer doesn't have all of his allotment pre-sold within the next few weeks...if not sooner. Unless of course, he is selling for over MSRP..which in that case, might keep potential buyers looking for a dealer that isn't marking the cars up. Just curious...do you know if this dealer is indeed selling for MSRP?

skyguy85 said:
He did say there were 2 silver graphites being built next month and coming in late June or early July. Sounds kinda fishy, I put my deposit down in June and get the car in July? I guarantee whatever Skys they have coming will be pre-sold my then. I will be VERY pissed if I don't get mine until fall.
That would be pretty amazing to put a deposit down in June and get a Sky in July. I'm not saying that it can't happen...just seems unlikely based on the information from other folks on this forum. At any rate...good luck and I hope you're able to get your Sky when you want it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are not selling over sticker. They said they won't even take my deposit unless I do a credit app. The manager is a jerk he said 'I'm not gonna waste my time tying up a car if you can't qualify' which at this moment I probably won't qualify, but in 2 or 3 months, no problem!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
skyguy85 said:
That is a silly policy. With the demand, he will get the car sold. I have a loan approved and it hasn't done a thing for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don't know what to say, because they already told me to just wait until I get the loan. I would love to have the car in July, and I will be able to put a good $10,000 down on it. If they ask me to qualify now, I won't because I am VERY new on the job, i.e. I start in 3 weeks =/ however I have 3 years of continuous employment, my dad says shouldn't be a problem (he is a finance manager for the dealership across the street from Saturn.) I figure they will let me get the car even though I will have only been on the job for 2 months, since I am putting so much down, AND I have a co-signer. Thoughts?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I need to get ALL the correct information.

I think the cars my dealer has have already been ordered. Is the deposit only good for cars that havn't been ordered, and then when you ordered the car did you then get the loan?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
skyguy85 said:
OK, I need to get ALL the correct information.

I think the cars my dealer has have already been ordered. Is the deposit only good for cars that havn't been ordered, and then when you ordered the car did you then get the loan?
It varies on what a deposit is good for. For the SKY, the deposit is put down to hold your place in line... then when an image/allocation/blank order is available, the next person on the list can order and the deposit is now there to save that specific car for you.

Here, once the car comes in *maybe even once the image is ordered*, you do the loan application. Why would your dealer think you would want to get a loan now if you still won't have your car for 1 - 3 months. Do you think they think you are too young and inexperienced???

On regular cars, a deposit will hold your car on the lot for a predetermined time. Like my current car, I put down a deposit on the car sitting on the lot that I wanted. A few 3 - 4 weeks later I was able to buy it... sure, they gently reminded me that they couldn't hold it indefinately... but they honored the deposit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
skyguy85 said:

12 Skys on the way?...............Is the guy at this dealership on drugs?..........that dealership must be the size of a football stadium................caveat emptor (buyer beware).................:cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
skyguy85 said:
(he is a finance manager for the dealership across the street from Saturn.) I figure they will let me get the car even though I will have only been on the job for 2 months, since I am putting so much down, AND I have a co-signer. Thoughts?
I don't get it. Why are you asking anyone here, when your dad is a "finance manager for the dealer across the street"? Unless your dad and the Saturn dealer are always throwing rocks across the street at each other, ask dad to walk across the street and talk to the Saturn dealer. If nothing else, you might get a straight story just due to "professional courtesy", if there is such a thing with car dealers. If "Dad" is the co-signer, I would think that he has a vested interest in the process because the Saturn dealer will need "dad's" information for the loan application also.

I don't know how to finance a car, I always paid cash, so I'm not much help. BUT, if it isn't going to cost you anything (other than filling out the paper work), why not play the dealers game and apply for the loan? Applying for the loan is different that actually taking the cash, or in the case, the car.

Would anyone care to comment on my comments? Always willing to learn.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, yes my dad is co-signing, but that's it. He told me I can get whatever I want as long as I can afford it. He won't go across the street to talk to them because he doesn't want to 'bother' them. He doesn't even believe me that I need to put a deposit down now in order to get the car months from now. Yes I know it sounds weird, but the car is up to me. He is co-signing because I have bad credit. I can't apply for a loan right now because I am still in training at my job and it's through a temp agency. I will be part of the actual company at the very end of May. We already tried to get a different car a few weeks ago, and the banks said no way because I was still a temp. However, since I finally got hired with a HUGE company and have a very very very good salary, I figured thank god I didn't get the other car (Tiburon) because I can now afford the Sky.

I just want to put my deposit down now, so that in July or August I can get the car, and have at least $10 to put down. Make more sense now?

·
Registered
262 Posts
That explains a little more. Since dad is the co-signer and you have bad credit, I would think that the institution is going to be loaning on your dad's credit, not yours.

Do you think that you could get dad a little more interested in this process at all? His knowledge and position could help get you through a lot of red tape and the "anti-young spoiled punk, my dad wouldn't co-sign for me" attitude.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hmmm....I never asked and I haven't seen it on the this forum that I can remember. The deposit one puts down can be used towards the down payment for the car when one buys it, right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
GRinLR said:
Hmmm....I never asked and I haven't seen it on the this forum that I can remember. The deposit one puts down can be used towards the down payment for the car when one buys it, right?
funny you should ask. i asked my dealer that same question last sunday. and he said yes. but it might not be saturn dealership policy nationwide. it could be just one of those dealer to dealer decisions. by the way, i'm curious what size deposits people have put down to order their skys? i put down the minimum--which was $500....................:cool:

·
Registered
389 Posts
SkyRaider said:
funny you should ask. i asked my dealer that same question last sunday. and he said yes. but it might not be saturn dealership policy nationwide. it could be just one of those dealer to dealer decisions. by the way, i'm curious what size deposits people have put down to order their skys? i put down the minimum--which was $500....................:cool:
$500 here also.

·
Registered
266 Posts
ordering was a breeze

I have been reading posts for several months and appreciate the great info. I have not been moved to post until today.
I have purchased many news cars and have never been fond of car salesman and certainly not trusting of the profession.
However my experience has been stellar. When I first learned of the SKY, I contacted a dealership in a neighboring state, as we do not have a Saturn dealer within a 170 miles. I supplied him with the requested info. He called back within 15 minutes. I was number 21 on the list, as of Janury 28th. He said he would call as soon as they had one on the lot for a test drive. I haven't called daily nor at all, trusting the process..
He called two weeks ago to let me know it was on the way. He called yesterday and said it had arrived 10 minutes earlier. I made my appt for Monday to test drive and finalize my order.
I appreciate that a credit check was done initially. I know where I stand on the wait list, as the "serious hopefuls", have been weeded form the "just hopefuls".
Perhaps I have been lucky, but I suspect it is because I haven't called daily, been demanding or refused to follow reasonable and normal protocal, that all has been a breeze.
Having worked in sales for more than 20 years, I can tell you that I will bend over backwards for a client, but there are always a few that make the job extra difficult.
It seems extremely reasonable that the frenzy over the SKY would require certain rules be followed. If I had a product that had far more buyers than I could supply, it makes sense to have a list of qualified, pre-approved serious buyers.
Enjoy the process, enjoy the wait and enjoy the ride...it doesn't get any better than this

·
Registered
262 Posts
GRinLR said:
Hmmm....I never asked and I haven't seen it on the this forum that I can remember.
Just to clear things up a little. If GRinLR,AR's comment above is referring to my comment about "anti-young spoiled punk, my dad wouldn't co-sign for me" attitude, I meant at the dealership. I was not refering to anything that I saw on this forum.:nono:

Sorry for any misunderstanding. Now back to your regularly scheduled forums.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts