Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
WE need a fix! My GM sesnsor replacement under warrany - has already broken - with very little useage!!! Driving with the Service Air Bar light on as don't think really broken but don't want to take into GM to get code cleared - so will pull passenger seat shrtly and then determine next step in this crazy sensor issue.
Dylan, Agree..our car was taken to dealership last week and confirmed the failure of the pressure sensor. The car had been serviced for the recall in 2018... The dealership notified GM and the response back was its out of the warranty period. Since the 2018 recall less than 10 thousand miles. So it's Conclusive that a permanent fix was not engineered properly by GM for the recall. Only a band-aid. The dealership wants $1,300 to replace the seat airbag sensor and then it's original equipment which will likely fail again. So what the point. GM should be liable for any kind of injury due to thier failure to rectify the original issue. Only then they may do something. These cars will become collectible and will be around a long time. A permanent fix is needed before someone is seriously injured or worse.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
The "permanent fix" for the PPS is a new sensor with the tape reinforcement. Is this an adequate fix? No one knows, but as far as I know there have been no reports of a new reinforced sensor failing. Time will tell, of course.

The worst cases are those like @greathand3 's who took a functioning sensor in for the recall as the sensor was likely almost failed when it was reinforced.

The best approach for those in this situation is to file a complaint with NHTSA specifying that the failure was after taking it in for the recall while still functional.

@Robotech was investigating a request for a second recall, but without complaints to NHTSA that won't happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The "permanent fix" for the PPS is a new sensor with the tape reinforcement. Is this an adequate fix? No one knows, but as far as I know there have been no reports of a new reinforced sensor failing. Time will tell, of course.

The worst cases are those like @greathand3 's who took a functioning sensor in for the recall as the sensor was likely almost failed when it was reinforced.

The best approach for those in this situation is to file a complaint with NHTSA specifying that the failure was after taking it in for the recall while still functional.

@Robotech was investigating a request for a second recall, but without complaints to NHTSA that won't happen.
The recall was for all relevant cars thousands of them and if the fix is not to replace the seat sensor and only put a piece of tape in one's which hadn't failed that's a poor engineering practice designed save GM money at the expense of the consumer down the line. The largest cost is not the sensor it's the labor. I'll file a complaint but this will likey take years and in the meantime we're stuck with an unsafe vehicle unless I shell out $1300 for the fix. I'm sure many sky owners are in the same boat.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Our Sky had the seat sensor replaced just prior to us buying the car which was roughly two years and 3000 miles ago.

I replaced the leather seat skins with new aftermarket leather skins so I had the seats in pieces.

Over the years and use prior to my ownership, the thin wire springs on the passenger seat base had been cutting through the base cushion. I used clear silicone caulk to glue the cuts together and added more caulk over the surface for additional surface strength.

To further improve support for the passenger seat base cushion, I added two cheap floor mats between the thin wire springs and the cushion as shown. When sitting in that seat, the base feels much better supported, hence the seat sensor is less stressed.
Furniture Rectangle Wood Automotive lighting Chair

Rectangle Bag Luggage and bags Silver Material property

Bicycle part Composite material Bumper Rim Carbon

But there is another problem that I always work hard to avoid sensor damage. That is my wife, a little woman who always needs to be reminded to "never knee the seat".

She loves taking pictures with her cell phone of anything farming. She instinctively takes off her seat belt, turns around, and knees the seat to take a picture of something we passed by. As soon as she unfastens her seat belt, I quickly stop her which is at least once during every excursion we take. She also often skirts around within her seat in a half-turn position to take pictures which I believe is rough on the sensor, but I have to choose my battles wisely. I can say that I am glad I repaired the base cushion with silicone caulk and further supported the base with those floor mats. Just maybe the sensor is tolerating my wife's rough positioning. So far, so good.

·
Registered
2007 Sky Redline- Bluestone, 4SP
11 Posts
Update on my current PPS failure- was on startup just after I had connected the battery - ground off for winter - and during next couple of short run times got 2 low voltage alerts. Next start was PPS failure - nobody ever got in the seat. So will pull seat in a week or so - off road for winter soon - then cjheck out PPS on passengerand find out truth and then think about the EU solution.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Update on my current PPS failure- was on startup just after I had connected the battery - ground off for winter - and during next couple of short run times got 2 low voltage alerts. Next start was PPS failure - nobody ever got in the seat. So will pull seat in a week or so - off road for winter soon - then cjheck out PPS on passengerand find out truth and then think about the EU solution.
Did you check the code to ensure that it is from the PPS?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is "Service Air Bag" lighting up every start and my codes scanners show nothing I can clear - forogt what did show - was spring - May - But will pull seat as getting cold here so off the road till next May.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Is "Service Air Bag" lighting up every start and my codes scanners show nothing I can clear - forogt what did show - was spring - May - But will pull seat as getting cold here so off the road till next May.
A generic code reader may not be able to read an SRS code, and they are not the type that "Clear Codes" will reset. Even if one did reset, SRS codes are instantaneous and would return within seconds (or faster).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Would it be acceptable to say that if one airbag (driver's) was to deploy, then the car is "likely or probably" to be totaled or parted out anyway.

In that event its not often you'd need to worry about the fact that they both deployed regardless of passenger status unless you are trying to maintain a "parting out" stock of passenger airbags for those maintaining "working" OEM seats which will slowly dwindle anyway. The lifespan of electronics is not infinite, so a mod that makes airbags active all the time just makes sense.

Unless aftermarket seats all of a sudden start including seats with sensors in them, I see no reason that I shouldn't bypass it right now for them to remain active all the time. I plan to replace my seats anyway and would love to know a "how-to" for this...

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Would it be acceptable to say that if one airbag (driver's) was to deploy, then the car is "likely or probably" to be totaled or parted out anyway.

In that event its not often you'd need to worry about the fact that they both deployed regardless of passenger status unless you are trying to maintain a "parting out" stock of passenger airbags for those maintaining "working" OEM seats which will slowly dwindle anyway. The lifespan of electronics is not infinite, so a mod that makes airbags active all the time just makes sense.

Unless aftermarket seats all of a sudden start including seats with sensors in them, I see no reason that I shouldn't bypass it right now for them to remain active all the time. I plan to replace my seats anyway and would love to know a "how-to" for this...
The chance of an aftermarket seat being offered with a seat sensor that works in our cars is just about zero. The technology used was a first-generation system and a viable market really doesn't exist.

Currently the only working option to the OEM sensor is Germany's AirBag24. You remove the SDM from your car and ship it to them to be reprogrammed to keep the passenger airbag enabled at all times.

In addition to the added expense of an airbag firing unnecessarily, the main potential negative to an always-enabled airbag is the danger it poses to the occupant of a child seat. Granted that these may not be issues for you but they could be for others, and there is a certain liability that you face if you alter the car and a subsequent owner suffers an injury because of it.

I will submit that the most logical option is an option to manually enable or disable the airbag as appropriate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree with the logical option - but when ready? - Our cost of replacing the sensor alone is more than the cost of programming the SDM - if you DIY - if GM or Garage - then over $ 1,000 to start. I have the luxury of doing nothing for a few months since snow is coming - but I still have to fix the sensor and it's not cheap - and almost never used. So SDM is logical in spring if no other option. Others have to fix the issue right away or have no working passenger air bag - which is ??? . No liability will pass to others - at least in Canada under law - think US also - as you can now buy and license vehicles that were totaled in so many ways and now are "Brand New" , So heres to a solution by Spring 2022 and I'll spend my winter on the Sky interior mods I want to make.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts