Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
2008 Redline, Sunburst Yellow, GMPP Tune, DDM Backbone, DDM Probeam, custom Wind Restrictor
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '08 Redline with a shade over 34.5K on the clock. What is GM's recommended service interval for air bags (if any). My car is about to turn 15 years from the build date and I got to thinking about this issue tonight. Should our air bags be replaced at some time interval? Not looking to spend big bucks for new air bags, just curious.

· Administrator
8,877 Posts
Everything I have read says that airbags installed since the mid-1990s are good for the life of the car and the the self diagnostics will detect any problems with the components most likely to fail first.

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,416 Posts
My opinion here.

The only matter of concern (or maintenance) with the airbags is the passenger seat sensor pad. I antipicate there will be varying opinions, but I suspect the general consensus is "If it is not broken, then don't fix it" a very hard argument to dispute. BUT, if you want to be proactive, or are disturbing the passenger seat base assembly to restore or replace the leather, that would be a good time to improve the support of the base seat cushion for protection of the seat sensor, as well as improving the comfort of the seat.

Stepping back 7 years , In 2016 I replaced the cloth seats with leather in a 2007 Solstice GXP with 45,000 miles. In that car, the thin wire springs in the passenger seat, cut deeply into the seat base cushion. The seat had sagged from it which surely was not good for the sensor pad. Using clear silicone caulk as an adhesive and support, I glued all the cuts back together, then smeared a layer of caulk on the underside of the cushion to protect it from future cuts.

With that experience in my head...........

Two years ago, I bought my 2007 Sky with 118,000 miles with stiff crusty cracked leather seats. I decided to replace it with brand new aftermarket 100% real leather throughout. Upon disassembly of the passenger seat, the base cushion and airbag sensor pad appeared to be recently replaced. With my experience with the Solstice, I decided to be proactive, so I added two rubber floormats between the wire springs and foam cushion to prevent the wires from cutting the cushion which also improved the support of the cushion and airbag sensor pad. My wife is 125 pounds and sits there often. I don't yet notice any negative effects to what I did, only positives.

Here is my new-looking (must have been replaced shortly before I bought the car) passenger seat base cushion with the airbag sensor pad. Note the delicate nature of the sensor membrane. The orange electrical Kapton/polyimide memberane is embeded throughout the black surface. You can see a little of it that ties electrical connections between black pads and also on the left side to the controller.
Product Hood Sleeve Motor vehicle Cap

Bumper Finger Wood Material property Tool

Motor vehicle Rectangle Paint Font Tire

At each of the 4 holes, there was evidence the Kapton/polyimide memberane is throughout the black pad.
Sleeve Wood Grey Collar Body jewelry

To improve support for the cushion with the sensor pad, I added a pair of good-fitting floormats.
Rectangle Wood Chair Gas Automotive lighting

Rectangle Bag Silver Material property Luggage and bags

For the curious, here are the results of my aftermarket real 100% leather. It does not fit as perfect as OEM, but it looks and feels a whole lot better than the tired old seats did.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Wheel

Tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Attachments

· Premium Member
2008 Redline, Sunburst Yellow, GMPP Tune, DDM Backbone, DDM Probeam, custom Wind Restrictor
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the replies.

I wasn't looking for a tutorial on changing/improving/replacing the passenger side airbag sensor, just info on the air bag itself. I had the recall or TSB on the passenger side air bag sensor completed years ago so I'm not concerned about that. But I did learn what the seat sensor control unit looks like, just in case I get a wild hair and decide to tear out my passenger seat.

· Registered
4,719 Posts
For the curious, here are the results of my aftermarket real 100% leather. It does not fit as perfect as OEM, but it looks and feels a whole lot better than the tired old seats did.
Have you tried using a steamer on the wrinkles? Not done it myself, but I've watched many car-builder shows where they use steam to shrink the leather... YMMV :)

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,416 Posts
Have you tried using a steamer on the wrinkles? Not done it myself, but I've watched many car-builder shows where they use steam to shrink the leather... YMMV :)
I did hear that heat will shrink the leather so I set the seats out in the bright sun on a few hot summer days which helped a lot. The black leather did get very hot to the touch.

· Registered
2,416 Posts
The 100% leather from the eBay seller who made them up for me special, charged me $464.31 including shipping. That was back in March 2020. He matched the same front pockets as OEM and added extra rear storage pockets, again, 100% real leather with real cowhide on the reverse side of every surface. Also included was perforated leather insets where I wanted. They were a real bargain. Of coarse they were made in China. Unfortunately my eBay purchase history does not go back beyond 2021 so I can't share the eBay seller's name.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts