Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN the October issue of Car & Driver, looking over their road test/comparison of the new Solstice GXP, reference is made of the following...."the GXP adds a stiffer suspension, a taller axle ratio, and a shorter third-gear ratio in the same 5 speed asain transmission. That new ratio eliminates the previously large gap between second and third gears, and the base Solstice gets this improvement as well (emphisis added).
Does anyone know if this is true?, and could it be the reason for the "constraints" on manuals we just went through?:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hope so :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
IN the October issue of Car & Driver, looking over their road test/comparison of the new Solstice GXP, reference is made of the following...."the GXP adds a stiffer suspension, a taller axle ratio, and a shorter third-gear ratio in the same 5 speed asain transmission. That new ratio eliminates the previously large gap between second and third gears, and the base Solstice gets this improvement as well (emphisis added).
Does anyone know if this is true?, and could it be the reason for the "constraints" on manuals we just went through?:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:
It is my understanding that the third gear change was in place when the Kappas started into production. (BTW, where do plan to actually store your trunk monkey!?!?!?!?!)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, the Trunk Monkey. This has been a topic of many late evening conversations here.:confused:
We had been considering two locations. One was under the hood. The room gained by going to the CAI allows the necessary space, however, that said, :nono: it would of course no longer be a "Trunk Monkey" and would of necessity be referred to as a "Hood Monkey". Therefore this has been entirely ruled out.
The other location is in the locker between the seats. Small as it is, it does provide instance access in the case of a "threat situation". :yesnod:
Final arrangements will be based in part on the actual size of the "Trunk Monkey" :D and of course the viability of having the option of never putting the top down.:jester:

·
Registered
422 Posts
...."the GXP adds a stiffer suspension, a taller axle ratio, and a shorter third-gear ratio in the same 5 speed asain transmission. That new ratio eliminates the previously large gap between second and third gears, and the base Solstice gets this improvement as well .....
The Aisin AR-5 transmission is used long years in Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon later Hummer H3 with these ratios

3,753 - 2,260 - 1,370 - 1,000 - 0,729 rev. 3,67

This trans was build in the first Pontiac Solstices. Because of the large gap they changed the third gear ratio

3,753 - 2,260 - 1,510 - 1,000 - 0,729 rev. 3,67

All Skies got the new ratio from the beginning of production.
Here is an overview the transmission is used for

View attachment 2007_Aisin_AR5_MA5.pdf

There are no differences in the manual transmission for all Kappas now. There are two differential ratios

3.91 for the base engine
3.73 for the turbo engine

To get a higher stiffness of the drivetrain and maybe stop the whining of the diff there was a rumor the RL / GXP should get a torque bar to bolt trans and diff together.

Did someone of the brandnew RL owners allready have a look at the underbody if there is something changed ?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
OK, its rated at 258 FPT now the turbo is right at this 260.....what about the people who are adding after market turbo's and going above this....??seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Max. Torque

OK, its rated at 258 FPT now the turbo is right at this 260.....what about the people who are adding after market turbo's and going above this....??seal9:cheers:
I think they didn't change anything over the last years in that transmission beside of third gear ratio.
It's usuall in some industries not to list the real max. load, torque, speed .... but only the values the manufacturer sells actually.
If customers increase load, torque, speed .... they may loose warranty. :rolleyes:

BTW in the german specs the torque is listed at 350 Nm (258 lbft).

View attachment 0X_67_price.pdf

See page 6 > Max. Drehmoment :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The different gearing is only in the GXP/RL. The base cars still have the same as before.

·
Registered
192 Posts
C20LLET 50, You seem to be familiar with the Sky transmission. What is the clickety clack that I'm hearing when I'm shifting? Is it the linkage or the syncros? I spent my career in the gear business, some in manual transmission manufacturing as a Quality Engineer and all of our units were whisper quiet. This thing would have hit the scrap pile if I had to make the call to accept or reject.

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Ya, the Trunk Monkey. This has been a topic of many late evening conversations here.:confused:
We had been considering two locations. One was under the hood. The room gained by going to the CAI allows the necessary space, however, that said, :nono: it would of course no longer be a "Trunk Monkey" and would of necessity be referred to as a "Hood Monkey". Therefore this has been entirely ruled out.
The other location is in the locker between the seats. Small as it is, it does provide instance access in the case of a "threat situation". :yesnod:
Final arrangements will be based in part on the actual size of the "Trunk Monkey" :D and of course the viability of having the option of never putting the top down.:jester:

I wanted one too, but found out that because of the small trunk that we wouldn't be able to get a full sized chimp, but would instead get one of those white faced Capuchin monkeys. Their main response to any threat situation would be to scream really loud and throw monkey crap at the assailant. While this is certainly effective, Capuchin monkeys have about as much accuracy as a Cardinals' reliever and I'm afraid I'd end up with said monkey crap crammed into the defroster duct. This would really diminish the driving experience for me if I then had to turn on the defroster at some time. Therefore I'm going to have to pass on the trunk monkey option and just go with a force field.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Force Field". Humm, No Monkey? I don't know. :confused: I'll look in the Glactic After-Market Catelog that GM has out and see if this is a better option.

The Monkey crap in the defroster vents however is a concern.:mad:

One option I have been thinking of is leaving the wife at home when using the SKY and simply letting the "chimp" have the other seat.:D It could be better re: security, save on arguments over just how fast certian corners need to be taken, and of course, :nono: I would hear less about why I had to buy a car that can't make a decent trip to the market or go to the mall for shopping sprees.

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Leaving the wife at home is always advisable since the Sky is such a chick magnet, unless the monkey starts winging monkey crap and it ends up in chickie's hair. Then it doesn't matter what kind of car you have. Looking at the Sky as an investment, I figure the lack of trunk space alone will pay for the car just in the number of pairs of shoes she won't be able to bring home.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The different gearing is only in the GXP/RL. The base cars still have the same as before.
Sorry brentil, my mistake.

Here are the correct data for all Kappas

Manual Transmission Gear ratios: :)1):

LE5 base: 3.753 - 2.260 - 1.370 - 1.000 - 0.729 - rev. 3.67
Final drive ratio: 3.91

LNF Turbo: 3.753 - 2.260 - 1.510 - 1.000 - 0.729 - rev. 3.67
Final drive ratio: 3.73

Here is the link for the actual complete Saturn specs

http://media.gm.com/us/saturn/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_sky/index.html#specs

With the automatics there is no difference depending on the engine, they have only the different diffs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts