Saturn Sky Forum banner

Alarm Fuse?

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 ·
Do you know if the alarm system has a fuse?
The alarm in my Sky is not going off. Its not doing anything actually. The car just beeps when I activate the alarm through the remote.
And the car starts even with the alarm on.
Could it be a fuse?

Thanks!!!!!!!

#2 · (Edited)
What you describe may be normal. Test you OEM Sky's alarm by doing the following.

With the top stowed away inside the trunk and rear deck lid closed (or top set up with windows down) close both doors and set the alarm with your key fob. Then put your fob in your pocket. Now lift up the knob to unlock either door and open that door. The alarm should go off.

As I understand, the alarm is disarmed when doing any of these three things.
1) unlocking your doors with a fob
2) unlocking the driver's door with your key
3) starting the car with your key

As far as I know, you cannot set the alarm without a working fob.
I attached a 2007 owner's manual for your review.

Attachments

#9 ·
I did it that way. That is how I discovered something is nos working week. I lock the doors with the Fob until I hear the horn confirmation of the alarm on. Then I manually unlock the door.....I open it and there is no alarm going off.
I thought it was a fuse but I checked all of them today and all seems to be ok.

#3 ·
The alarm is not a separate device, and mainly uses the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver), so if the doors lock and unlock with the fob, everything should work.

The only alarm function I have ever tested has been the horn blowing if I lock the car with the fob, then open a door or the trunk without the fob. If the alarm is going off (horn blowing) powering the car with the key will reset it, so it is not intended to prevent starting the engine as far as I can tell.

#4 ·
It has happened when my wife and I are out with our Sky, with the top put away, I set the alarm and we walk away to shop or eat. Upon returning, my wife gets to the Sky ahead of me. She unlocks the passenger door and opens it. The alarms goes off until I hit the unlock button a few times on my fob. At least that is what my foggy memory recalls.

#12 ·
There are a few misunderstandins here:

1. The alarm will not prevent the car from starting. It is a content alarm and not an anti-theft alarm, and can be reset by powering the car.
  2. The alarm is not disabled by opening the driver's door with a key. There is no wiring in place for that, and it is not mentioned in the owner's manual.
  3. There is a 10-second delay after opening the driver's door or the trunk before the alarm sounds. Opening the passenger's door sounds it immediately - according to the owner's manual.
@ricardo.melendez : Does your horn work? Can you sound it by pressing the steering wheel button? I assumed so when you mentioned beeping in yourfirst post, but want to be sure.

#13 ·

1. The alarm will not prevent the car from starting. It is a content alarm and not an anti-theft alarm, and can be reset by powering the car.
  2. The alarm is not disabled by opening the driver's door with a key. There is no wiring in place for that, and it is not mentioned in the owner's manual.
  3. There is a 10-second delay after opening the driver's door or the trunk before the alarm sounds. Opening the passenger's door sounds it immediately - according to the owner's manual.
@ricardo.melendez : Does your horn work? Can you sound it by pressing the steering wheel button? I assumed so when you mentioned beeping in your first post, but want to be sure.

@ricardo.melendez : Does your horn work? Can you sound it by pressing the steering wheel button? I assumed so when you mentioned beeping in yourfirst post, but want to be sure.
Yes, the horn is working.
Since I cant stow away the top for the moment I I did this:
1.- I got inside the car (driver side).
2.- Opened the driver window.
3.- Turned the alarm on using my FOB. I heard the horn beep.
4.- I threw the FOB away through the window (to the grass). Just in case there is a proximity chip in the FOB.
5.- Opened the driver door.
6.- Waited 20 -30 seconds.
7.- Nothing happened.

Any ideas?

#14 ·
Very puzzling.

There is no proximity sensor as far as I know, but that was a good precaution to take.

When you lock the doors/arm the alarm do you see a padlock symbol light in the instrument cluster?

When you open the door do your map lights illuminate? If the key is in the ignition do you get a chime?

Have you tested with the trunk? ie: Lock/arm and then open the trunk using the button in the glovebox?

#15 ·
The answers to your questions:
1.- There is no padlock symbol appearing when I am the alarm o lock the doors with the FOB.
2.- The map lights turn on when I open the door. And yes.... If the key is in the ignition and I open the door I get a chime.
3.- The trunk release button in the glove box doesn't work. 😕

Thank you for your help.
Ricardo

#23 ·
As far as I have determined, the only things that disable the alarm are unlocking with the fob and powering the car with the correct key. Anything else the system interprets as an intrusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.