Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've recently picked up a used 2007 2.4. Here's a list of the fun and not so fun things I've found so far or were done by the PO:

GM CAI
Magnaflow exhaust, dual tip (so, so loud, will be looking to go to something quieter)
w/Red Line valance
LED low beams, fogs and DRLs
"GM Performance Division" plaque
Steel shift knob that weights aprrox 75lbs (ok, not really, but heavier than a baseball)
2x First 1000 plaques (not installed)
A dime under the passenger seat rail
Mystery switch inside the waterfall storage. I followed the wiring and it looks like there was a Windrestrictor Ver 1 installed at some point.
Two missing map light bulbs
Four NGK platinum spark plugs (new)
Spark plug gapper
Anti-seize
A Daughtry CD (ugh, at least it wasn't Nickelback)

·
Registered
495 Posts
The stock shift knobs are heavy too.... NGK plugs or AC Delco is what's recommended. But do not stray from them. Many have tried and many have had issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice finds! When I bought my Sky it had an LDK in it, buncha sketchy wiring, stage 3 all around, and straight pipes. Guess that's what I get for buying it sight unseen off eBay :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
Its a 2.4L, there is no noise with the CAI on an NA car.
That is not my understanding....where is ROBO? But he has a turbo in his NA. I can definitely tell u the magnaflow is not the noisemaker. I have one on mine. Actually it is the 1998 camaro magniflow muffler with dual outlets.

·
Super Moderator
11,382 Posts
Its a 2.4L, there is no noise with the CAI on an NA car.
Oh I beg to differ.

When Magnaflow developed their exhaust on my first Sky, I drove it for a week with that as my only modification even though I had the GMPP intake ready to go on the car. I then took it back to Magnaflow for them to put the second outlet on the exhaust (after I cut the valance...which I had to do myself and why I took the car home with just the single outlet). After they put the second outlet on they put it on the dyno. Then they installed the intake and ran it on the dyno again.

I drove it that way for almost a year. The intake on the 2.4 most certainly changes the sound of the engine when you get on it and causes some gurgling on decel with the exhaust. When I got this car it had the GMPP intake on it too with the stock exhaust and there was no gurgle but the intake sound under the hood was still there. When the 3.0" Magnaflow went back on, the gurgles came back and the car sounded exactly like my old car. Drove it like that for close to 2 years.

Now with the turbo it is way different. LOL

Examine your engine....u probably have a CAI...that's whats making the noise. Magnaflow is not that loud.
That is not my understanding....where is ROBO?
LOL Mike...the VERY first thing on the OP's list...

The Magnaflow....on the NA more so than on the cars with that funny snail-looking muffler right on the manifold...is loud. Ask @skersfan. He could hear me roll up from blocks away.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
I remember everyone saying with a CAI it would improve gas mileage....on an NA...that was never the case and who wanted to pay close to 300 dollars for that ugly monster.

·
Super Moderator
11,382 Posts
I remember everyone saying with a CAI it would improve gas mileage....on an NA...that was never the case and who wanted to pay close to 300 dollars for that ugly monster.
Well, I did. Then so did whoever had this car before me...

I think it looked 100% better than stock...but then I'm not a big white wall guy soooooooo...

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
Well, I did. Then so did whoever had this car before me...

I think it looked 100% better than stock...but then I'm not a big white wall guy soooooooo...
My WWs cost 800 dollars installed....have them for either 12 or 13 years....60K mile tire. I will never need to buy tires again....and no dry rot. Car sits in my garage.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My WWs cost 800 dollars installed....have them for either 12 or 13 years....60K mile tire. I will never need to buy tires again....and no dry rot. Car sits in my garage.
I really give you credit.... the look 👀 is unique and I like it. Recently replaced tires ...... worked for BFS for many years and still get an employee’s discount..... went with those.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What is a CAI?

Anyway, Our Sky had some lipstick, lip balm, mini breath freshener spray, dental floss sticks, a good amount of beverage stains, and $7.57 in miscellaneous change. I had completely gutted the interior, the trunk, and the space in between when replacing the tulip and convertible top assembly, taking full advantage of cleaning everything exceptionally well. I was able to salvage the carpet quite remarkably. I kept finding pocket change all along the way. The car showed evidence that the last owner was a glamorous but sloppy woman. I was hoping to find a valuable diamond ring to pay for all my troubles, but no luck there. At least the 3 previous owners took care of the car mechanically.

The 4th owner was the dealer I bought the car from who by my request, later titled the car in his own name and state to clean up the paper trail to make my Illinois DMV happy. The car exchanged many hands between dealers and wholesalers at auction, evidence that they later learned of the serious odometer rollback, then passed it forward.

I was the last sucker. The buck stopped here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy crap RJ, that sounds like quite the saga!

I also neglected to mention a few things:

Kappasphere footrest plate
Stubby antenna
Surprisingly decent phone mount
Defunct bee's nest

As for the CAI(cold air intake)/muffler sound;
There us definitely some intake sound, but I'm near 100% sure the bulk of it is the muffler. Going to have a friend give me a second opinion on that in the next few weeks as I know jack all about exhaust notes.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
About five years after I bought in (in 1991) I found a hash pipe wedged in between the driver's seat and tunnel in my Fiero.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
Holy crap RJ, that sounds like quite the saga!

I also neglected to mention a few things:

Kappasphere footrest plate
Stubby antenna
Surprisingly decent phone mount
Defunct bee's nest

As for the CAI(cold air intake)/muffler sound;
There us definitely some intake sound, but I'm near 100% sure the bulk of it is the muffler. Going to have a friend give me a second opinion on that in the next few weeks as I know jack all about exhaust notes.
I, like many ole timers here have bought from kappasphere....they were probably the first aftermarket people for our cars....I have never seen or heard of a kappasphere foot rest. Can u take a picture. Has anyone else?

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I bought my 68’ GTO Convertible, I found an envelope under the back seat 💺..... a note from the original owner and the window sticker.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts