Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first learned of the Sky around Thanksgiving, 2004. At the time I was thinking about a Chrysler Crossfire as I had stated after buying my Triumph Spitfire in 1979, "when Detroit makes a decent two-seat roadster, I'll buy it."

I made a deal with my daughter, now serving in the US Army, that I would buy the Sky now, and let her have it in a couple of years when she gets to a post that allows her to have a car (or when I am done playing with it.)

I loaded the screen saver in February of 2005 or so. I've been looking at a silver pearl car every day, several times a day, since then. I saw the car in person for the first time at the Anaheim Auto Show Sunday, October 9th.

I have been on every conceivable waiting list since at least then. I got the call in February that I could come in and make a $1,000 deposit if I was serious. I was at the dealer the next day and made a deposit, and was allowed to fill out a "template" outlining exactly what I wanted on the car.

I chose Silver Pearl, Red Leather, Manual Tranny, XM Radio, 1-CD Monsoon (with XM and MP3, I did not want the complexity of the multi-disk). I declined on the Spoiler having never seen one, but now they look pretty cool. I stuck with Non-Chrome wheels thinking that they would match the body color nicely, and indeed they do. I was told that I was "#2 in all of Orange County" to place a deposit.

License plate "SKY2007" was ordered about a month ago, but it hasn't come in yet.

#1's car came in and he declined due to lack of trunk space. I test drove it on Saturday, April 22nd. Dark Green, Tan Interior. The power was adequate; better than my Spitfire and Porsche 356, and comparable to my Porsche 924 I would say. It was more than adequate to move the car the way that I wanted to make it move. Handling was the best of any car that I have ever driven - bar none.

I was told that mine would be in "any day."

Mine arrived on May 9th. I picked it up that night. It had 12 miles on it then, 216 now. The dealer totally treated it (and me) with complete respect. My sales guy said "nobody has driven it. We didn't even take it to gas it up. You can drive it there, and we'll fill it up on my credit card." I took it for a quick hop while they ran the credit.

MSRP was $25,550. I was told that I would pay a $3,000 premium when I made my deposit. Later, I was told that it would be $2,995 and they would install an interior motion alarm that would keep people from mucking about inside the cockpit when it was parked with the top down. That was the only dealer add-on. It was installed by the time I picked it up. It works GREAT. I learned that I have to reach in and retrieve my laptop from the passenger seat BEFORE I lock the doors - or it goes off!

California Sales tax (7.75 percent) and $200+ for licensing made it come to over 30 grand by the time all the numbers were added up.

I've been driving the car for two days now. AND????

I could not be more pleased. It is delightful. I wish the window controls were further forward - or better yet - on the center console like my Saturn Vue. I wish there was a power door unlock button there, too. I wish I didn't have a Mayan Temple in the trunk. But those are trivialities. Three times now in two days, people have pulled up alongside and asked "Wow! What IS that?" One of them was in a Porsche 911 Cabrio, and he said "that car has PERFECT lines. Very nice!"

Tonight I had dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory on Balboa Penninsula. I had the valet park the car. He put it right in front. The valets said "We see a lot of cars, but this is the first one of these we have seen. It is AWESOME. The interior is incredible."

I asked, "What do you think I paid for it?"

One guy said "Seventy-five. Eighty?" The other said "Less than that. Mid-sixties, tops."

I said, "MSRP $25,550." They responded, "HOLY CRAP!"

My car was the fourth Sky that I ever saw - one at the Auto Show, the green one I test drove, and the "dealership car." I still have NOT seen one on the road. But, from what I am told, mine is one of the first in Orange County. My wife and son say that they saw one at a local shopping center with a crowd around it, but they get out more. (I gotta work all day so I can pay for mine.)

Was it worth paying $2,995 for an Alarm System to get one of the first cars? Yes. For me it was. Summer is just around the corner. It was 82 today. I plan to take it down PCH to San Diego this weekend, and up the Big Sur coast to Monterey to show it to my little soldier the weekend after that.

I was looking at the BMW Z4, or the Porsche Boxter S or the Chrysler Crossfire - all of which would have placed me well into the 40s or 50s or more - not the 30K I paid out the door for my Sky - loaded with everything I wanted. Don't tell Saturn, but I would have paid a lot more for the car because I think it is the best looking of all of them.

For over a year I have been looking at a picture of a Saturn Sky rotating on my computer screen. A "virtual reality" car. A fantasy. Now it's real. When I walk into my garage, or look out into a parking lot - there it is. Just like on the screen. Except now I have a key in my pocket, and I can drive it to wherever I want to go.

And was it worth the wait?

Oh yeah.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Great story! Makes owning the car special. I guess we all have some sort of Sky story.

I am intrigued about the motion sensing alarm in your cockpit. Anyone out there with with more information about these?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
Congradulations

It must be wonderful finally having that in your driveway. ENJOY your long rides.

Kimberly
ChiliSky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
GRinLR said:
Great story! Makes owning the car special. I guess we all have some sort of Sky story.

I am intrigued about the motion sensing alarm in your cockpit. Anyone out there with with more information about these?
Google it! Looks like most alarms run in the $80 - $225 range. The motion detector add ons cost about $30 - $60 for the sensor. I am not making any comment about him paying $3000 for all this, just info for those that want it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Was it worth the 2995? Hell yes! You got what you wanted, how many times have we said "I wish" I had that. If 2995 made the difference...GREAT!

I also would have paid it...I was fortunate to have a Great Dealership that did not stick the consumer...but I would have paid 2995!!!


Hope you are having as much fun as I am...I have never had a car/truck that I have enjoyed this much! I can't wait to have to go somewhere i my SKY!! I'm always finding excuses to leave the house!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
830 Posts
Its not the money, its the car...I have waited a long time to replace my AH 100-6 (had to sell it 1969 need money) The sky is the car I have been waiting for. Would I pay more, if need be I would money only has value if it can get you what you want....ENJOY YOU SKY...and thank you for your familes service to this GREAT U.S.A....Seal9 CSM U.S.ARMY Ret....:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
jdigiant said:
I first learned of the Sky around Thanksgiving, 2004. At the time I was thinking about a Chrysler Crossfire as I had stated after buying my Triumph Spitfire in 1979, "when Detroit makes a decent two-seat roadster, I'll buy it."



jdigiant - Love the story. I wrecked my car July of last summer on the day I found out that the school I was working at was closing and our insurance was canceled! Thank God for a med. stop! Cried 2 days straight. My father showed me a pic of the Sky later that week. My sis owned a Saturn and he gets all the advertisements they mail out. I thought the car was really cool. Went to the dealer and found out that the wait was going to be forever.:cuss: No job, no car. Life could not have sucked more. So I borrowed my mom's '86 Cougar and started looking for a job. Found a job teaching second grade (my fav!) about 2 days before school started. Panic set in. It takes a long time (4-5 days) for me to set up my classroom. But I did it and love teaching here. Still driving a 86 cougar but at least i'm employed. I began to hustle our dealership about 6 monthes ago after downloading a sky screensaver to my laptop. I love when it would project onto the SMART board! The kids thought it was the coolest car ever. (They have good taste!) We have been looking at it everyday and they always ask the same question, "Are you going to get one?" I would always answer with, "I don't know." My dealership would not start a waiting list or take down payments. They decided 3 monthes ago that they would auction their first two cars (one black and one red that were loaded) and anything over mspr would go to charity. As a school teacher I knew that I couldn't do too much more over msrp because making the payments alone was going to be a struggle. More waiting and wishing! As it began to look like it would be 6 - 8 monthes before i would get a car i decided to go the the auction on May 6. I went to one at 11 a.m. and both went too fast and high for me. Went to another at the other dealership at 3:00. My car went first. It went fast and got down to me and one other guy. I stared him down. (Same look I give the kids when I want them to Knock it Off!) He back down and I won it for only 1,500 move msrp. Never been so excited in my whole life. My salesman was great. In all of those monthes he never lost his patience with me and my nagging! (Believe me I can be a pain!) Now that I have it I can't stop driving it! Never dreamed I'ld own a car this fun! The kids were so happy on Monday when I roared into the lot. They all gathered around to see it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
cozy said:
jdigiant said:
I first learned of the Sky around Thanksgiving, 2004. At the time I was thinking about a Chrysler Crossfire as I had stated after buying my Triumph Spitfire in 1979, "when Detroit makes a decent two-seat roadster, I'll buy it."



jdigiant - Love the story. I wrecked my car July of last summer on the day I found out that the school I was working at was closing and our insurance was canceled! Thank God for a med. stop! Cried 2 days straight. My father showed me a pic of the Sky later that week. My sis owned a Saturn and he gets all the advertisements they mail out. I thought the car was really cool. Went to the dealer and found out that the wait was going to be forever.:cuss: No job, no car. Life could not have sucked more. So I borrowed my mom's '86 Cougar and started looking for a job. Found a job teaching second grade (my fav!) about 2 days before school started. Panic set in. It takes a long time (4-5 days) for me to set up my classroom. But I did it and love teaching here. Still driving a 86 cougar but at least i'm employed. I began to hustle our dealership about 6 monthes ago after downloading a sky screensaver to my laptop. I love when it would project onto the SMART board! The kids thought it was the coolest car ever. (They have good taste!) We have been looking at it everyday and they always ask the same question, "Are you going to get one?" I would always answer with, "I don't know." My dealership would not start a waiting list or take down payments. They decided 3 monthes ago that they would auction their first two cars (one black and one red that were loaded) and anything over mspr would go to charity. As a school teacher I knew that I couldn't do too much more over msrp because making the payments alone was going to be a struggle. More waiting and wishing! As it began to look like it would be 6 - 8 monthes before i would get a car i decided to go the the auction on May 6. I went to one at 11 a.m. and both went too fast and high for me. Went to another at the other dealership at 3:00. My car went first. It went fast and got down to me and one other guy. I stared him down. (Same look I give the kids when I want them to Knock it Off!) He back down and I won it for only 1,500 move msrp. Never been so excited in my whole life. My salesman was great. In all of those monthes he never lost his patience with me and my nagging! (Believe me I can be a pain!) Now that I have it I can't stop driving it! Never dreamed I'ld own a car this fun! The kids were so happy on Monday when I roared into the lot. They all gathered around to see it!
Unbelievable story!! I am so happy for you, but jealous since I had my deposit down since 12/05 and still waiting to get a car. But, great for you. Enjoy your car and have lots of fun. Mine will be here soon!!!
T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Unbelievable story!! I am so happy for you, but jealous since I had my deposit down since 12/05 and still waiting to get a car. But, great for you. Enjoy your car and have lots of fun. Mine will be here soon!!!
T[/QUOTE]


Didn't mean to make you jealous but the stories behind everyone and their Sky are kinda interesting. I've never owned a car with so much emotion attached to it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get yours soon!:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Glad you are happy. I, however, would not have paid $3k for an alarm system.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A clarification on the "$3,000 Alarm System"

When I made my deposit, I was told that the sales price of the car was going to be $3,000 above MSRP. I was fine with that, as the price of the car (even with the markup) was well within what I was willing to pay.

Later, I was told that the markup was going to be $2,995 and that they would include an interior motion alarm.

That was fine, too. Five dollars less, and a handy accessory - more for less, and as a result still well within what I was willing to pay.

I didn't pay $3,000 for an alarm system. I paid $25,550 + $2,995 for a Saturn Sky with an alarm system. The car, to me, is worth much more than that. So I got a bargain.

Simple supply and demand. I was willing to pay the premium, so I went to the front of the line. Don't get me wrong - it's not about having one of the first cars so that I can say "I got one of the first cars, and you schmoes did not. So there!" It's all about "I wanted it, and I have it. Right now. I feel great. What anybody else feels is irrelevant."

To those of you that are sticking to your guns of "I am not going to pay a dime over MSRP" just be aware that everybody values things differently. To me, it was all about owning a Saturn Sky. Paying exactly MSRP was never a concern of mine. So I got what was most important to me - the CAR. If the most important thing to you is "not paying a dime over MSRP" then just be sure that you don't achieve that goal by not paying anything at all because you never come to terms with a dealer. You might be missing out on a really great feeling that only owning the car can provide.

My advice to you is to pay what you think the car is worth, and the price that will land a Sky in your driveway. The MSRP is arbitrary, and I do suspect that the laws of supply and demand will only drive the price of the car up once people start seeing them on the streets. This could very well be the next 1965 Mustang or 1953 Corvette. I'm glad I got mine now, and I hope you get yours soon, too.

As for me, it's 73 degrees outside and the sun is shining. I think I'll go to lunch to a place not too close to the office...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
jdigiant said:
When I made my deposit, I was told that the sales price of the car was going to be $3,000 above MSRP. I was fine with that, as the price of the car (even with the markup) was well within what I was willing to pay.

Later, I was told that the markup was going to be $2,995 and that they would include an interior motion alarm.

That was fine, too. Five dollars less, and a handy accessory - more for less, and as a result still well within what I was willing to pay.

I didn't pay $3,000 for an alarm system. I paid $25,550 + $2,995 for a Saturn Sky with an alarm system. The car, to me, is worth much more than that. So I got a bargain.

Simple supply and demand. I was willing to pay the premium, so I went to the front of the line. Don't get me wrong - it's not about having one of the first cars so that I can say "I got one of the first cars, and you schmoes did not. So there!" It's all about "I wanted it, and I have it. Right now. I feel great. What anybody else feels is irrelevant."

To those of you that are sticking to your guns of "I am not going to pay a dime over MSRP" just be aware that everybody values things differently. To me, it was all about owning a Saturn Sky. Paying exactly MSRP was never a concern of mine. So I got what was most important to me - the CAR. If the most important thing to you is "not paying a dime over MSRP" then just be sure that you don't achieve that goal by not paying anything at all because you never come to terms with a dealer. You might be missing out on a really great feeling that only owning the car can provide.

My advice to you is to pay what you think the car is worth, and the price that will land a Sky in your driveway. The MSRP is arbitrary, and I do suspect that the laws of supply and demand will only drive the price of the car up once people start seeing them on the streets. This could very well be the next 1965 Mustang or 1953 Corvette. I'm glad I got mine now, and I hope you get yours soon, too.

As for me, it's 73 degrees outside and the sun is shining. I think I'll go to lunch to a place not too close to the office...

That is a great post, very well reasoned. For myself, I am not willing to pay for nothing (Market Adjustment) or for something I do not want like forced Dealer add ons.

However, I agree that it is up to each individual to decide what they want to do and how much they are willing to pay for a Sky. I have been one of the more vocal ranters about going over MSRP. However, I feel is a Dealer is getting a car that is going on the floor there is nothing wrong with them customizing it with Add on's however they want. I do feel that if you are letting people order cars, it makes good customer service sense to let them order the car the way they want it!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top