Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Not really a barn but purchased a 2007 Redline. 15k miles. 5 speed. So just about 1000 miles a year. 2nd owner. Garaged it’s whole life and driven basically to car shows. Wasn’t in the market for a car but purchased this great guy‘s house and he was selling the Sky too. Have always thought they were great looking. Anyway, I drove it briefly (literally 5 min) and figured I’d take it too. Pretty loud rattle seems to come from the passenger A pillar or visor over bumps. But other than that solid. Car is 1500 miles away. Haven’t seen the car since I sent a check. Won’t see it for a few weeks. Having a friend drive it out to me. Question is, with such low mileage and parts sitting that long, what concerns do you have with a 1500 mile trip (I-80 speeds)? Anything I should have checked before he drives it out? It’ll be a hobby car and I’m doing some soul searching as to where I’ll put it (already have 3 cars in my 3 car garage) but just worried about the long trip for now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! I recently purchased an 08’ Sky NA with less than 17,000 miles on it. At first glance the tires (o/e) still “looked” good. After being driven less than 💯 miles (the drive home from the dealer) the left rear tire developed cracks in the sidewall. Needless to say, they were promptly replaced. After tire replacement I went to PAW (a local shop that specializes in the Kappa platform) and had Dave inspect the car to see what maintenance he would recommend. Basically he recommended all fluids changed, and because I’m more than a little OCD, all hoses and the serpentine belt too. A little expense for a whole lot of piece of mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your purchase! I recently purchased an 08’ Sky NA with less than 17,000 miles on it. At first glance the tires (o/e) still “looked” good. After being driven less than 💯 miles (the drive home from the dealer) the left rear tire developed cracks in the sidewall. Needless to say, they were promptly replaced. After tire replacement I went to PAW (a local shop that specializes in the Kappa platform) and had Dave inspect the car to see what maintenance he would recommend. Basically he recommended all fluids changed, and because I’m more than a little OCD, all hoses and the serpentine belt too. A little expense for a whole lot of piece of mind.
Thank you so much. Good thoughts on both tires and fluids/hoses/belt.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I liked your comment about already having 3 cars in a three car garage...... in the same boat here too! Two car garage at our primary residence full, three car garage at our summer place full.... and renting a storage unit too. Got rid of some toys to get the Sky, but it always seems I’m constantly doing addition by subtraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Hi all. Not really a barn but purchased a 2007 Redline. 15k miles. 5 speed. So just about 1000 miles a year. 2nd owner. Garaged it’s whole life and driven basically to car shows. Wasn’t in the market for a car but purchased this great guy‘s house and he was selling the Sky too. Have always thought they were great looking. Anyway, I drove it briefly (literally 5 min) and figured I’d take it too. Pretty loud rattle seems to come from the passenger A pillar or visor over bumps. But other than that solid. Car is 1500 miles away. Haven’t seen the car since I sent a check. Won’t see it for a few weeks. Having a friend drive it out to me. Question is, with such low mileage and parts sitting that long, what concerns do you have with a 1500 mile trip (I-80 speeds)? Anything I should have checked before he drives it out? It’ll be a hobby car and I’m doing some soul searching as to where I’ll put it (already have 3 cars in my 3 car garage) but just worried about the long trip for now.
Completely agree with everyone on fluids. Belts might be a good thing to do. The most common failure I see on here is the water pump (happened to me).

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Congratulations on a nice find and welcome to the Forum.

Pretty loud rattle seems to come from the passenger A pillar or visor over bumps.
That rattle is very likely the passenger side door latch striker plate which was a frequent issue on 2007 cars.

Here it was mentioned with a GM part number. If done carefully an easy DIY fix.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi DanCamp,

One source for a horrible rattle where you described is the handle that releases the convertible top. Sometimes it gets loose on it's own. The top won't accidentally release because of it so don't worry about that. It just rattles real bad until you tighten it up again. It's easy to diagnose. Just lightly check that handle for any play in it. There should be none. As I recall, there is a black cover to pop off the handle which exposes the bolt to tighten. It has been some years since I had to repair that for someone else's Pontiac Solstice, so some detail is foggy.

I would see if someone could tighten it for your friend driving the car home. It would make his road trip a much nicer experience.

Congratulations on your purchase!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Only three cars in your garage? And where do you put the extras? I have a ten car garage and when it was full I built a 4 car carport. Then that filled up and I just parked them in the driveway. You have a way to go yet. Enjoy it.

Reactions: DanCamp

·
Registered
204 Posts
Only three cars in your garage? And where do you put the extras? I have a ten car garage and when it was full I built a 4 car carport. Then that filled up and I just parked them in the driveway. You have a way to go yet. Enjoy it.
...... In the words of Wayne and Garth ..... “We’re not worthy”....... 😎

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi DanCamp,

One source for a horrible rattle where you described is the handle that releases the convertible top. Sometimes it gets loose on it's own. The top won't accidentally release because of it so don't worry about that. It just rattles real bad until you tighten it up again. It's easy to diagnose. Just lightly check that handle for any play in it. There should be none. As I recall, there is a black cover to pop off the handle which exposes the bolt to tighten. It has been some years since I had to repair that for someone else's Pontiac Solstice, so some detail is foggy.

I would see if someone could tighten it for your friend driving the car home. It would make his road trip a much nicer experience.

Congratulations on your purchase!
Thanks so much. I’ll ask my friend to look at this before he leaves on the 6th. Appreciate it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts